A Crazy Little Thing Called YA discussion

Buddy Reads > One of Us is Next (Amelie & Brinley)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Brinley and I will start buddy reading this on the 20 August!

message 2: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments It's been like six months since I read the first book, so hopefully I'll be able to understand this one!

message 3: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Same here! I often read Wikipedia plot summaries of books when I can’t remember what happened. 😂

message 4: by Lucy Tonks (new)

Lucy Tonks i read this book when it came out earlier this year and it was a pretty good sequel! tho i was a little disappointed that i guest most of the ending :/

message 5: by Amelie (new)

Amelie I loved the first book, so I’m hoping I will enjoy this one as well! :)

message 6: by Amelie (new)

Amelie There are 34 chapters in the book, so would you like to read about 10 chapters each day?

message 7: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments Sounds good!

message 8: by Amelie (new)

Amelie So, I’ve read the first 10 chapters, and I think it’s interesting how even though we have a mostly new set of characters it all still links back to the main characters from the previous book, and I’d like to learn more about Phoebe, Maeve and Knox. I find it interesting how the people in the story are drawn to gossip, and are naturally curious about the faults of other people.

message 9: by Amelie (new)

Amelie I’m curious to find out who is behind the Truth or Dare games, and how it will tie into the murder. For some reason, I feel like Emma is not as innocent as she seems and might be involved somehow, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

message 10: by Amelie (new)

Amelie I’m liking the book so far, but it’s not really drawing me in at the moment, maybe because I have high expectations after reading the first book. I might change my mind later though. I’ll read some more tomorrow. What do you think of the book so far?

message 11: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments I'm starting now!

message 12: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Ok, cool! :)

message 13: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments Yah, I'm n super drawn in either. While the first book really caught my attention, this one just isn't as gripping as the last one. I'm also really struggling to differentiate between the characters, I'm not sure why.

I don't really get that feeling about Emma because of how angry she was about her sister sleeping with her boyfriend, but I don't know. I honestly don't know why she's so upset though, because they were already broken up, so it's not a huge deal.

message 14: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments I think I'm gonna jump in on the next 10 chapters now, I hope that's ok

message 15: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments Sorry, I had a lot of time today, I actually finished the book
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Amelie (new)

Amelie That’s fine, I just finished the book now too!

Yeah, I did find Emma suspicious from the start, but I never would’ve guessed Owen’s involvement - that twist shocked me. I was also a bit annoyed that Phoebe and Emma didn’t say anything, and I felt like the ending was quite abrupt. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first book. I wasn’t as drawn in, and I struggled to differentiate between the characters like you did too. I agree that the first person narration between the three main characters was also confusing and indistinguishable at times.

message 17: by Amelie (new)

Amelie I felt like there was a lack of suspense compared to the first book, and Emma’s involvement just seemed super obvious especially as the story progressed. I remember when I read the first book I was super hooked and everything was unpredictable, but while I did enjoy this one, I felt like things were more predictable and the story just didn’t really draw me in as much, if you know what I mean. I was a little bit disappointed. I think I’d give the story 3 and a half stars. How about you?

message 18: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Also, I wanted more involvement from the Bayview Four members. I wanted to read more about the moments between Nate and Bronwyn too, though I did enjoy reading about Luis and Maeve’s relationship. I think the author still did a great job with writing about the characters and their relationships, and there was good character development. My favourite characters in the story are Nate and Maeve. I found it was easier to connect to Maeve than the other narrators since she was involved in the first book too. Who’s your favourite character/s?

I still enjoyed the book, and when everything was revealed in the end, I got that feeling of satisfaction you get when everything just clicks into place and I liked the way things were wrapped up. I just enjoyed the first book a lot more, and I honestly think it would have been better as a standalone. What do you think?

message 19: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments Amelie wrote: "That’s fine, I just finished the book now too!

Yeah, I did find Emma suspicious from the start, but I never would’ve guessed Owen’s involvement - that twist shocked me. I was also a bit annoyed t..."

The ending did feel abrupt. Especially because we dn't get to know what happened to Emma, and we never got to know how Owen reacted to being found out. Also, I get that it was hard to lose their dad, but Emma literally made her sister's and her friends lives miserable miserable to get revenge on ONE person. She ruined friendships just for petty revenge, like come on. At least Simon was intelligent.

I gave this three stars, because I know I'll be forgetting the details in a few weeks.

My favorite character wold have to be Knox. I'm not sure why, I just liked the way he was introduced, and then I could tell when he was narrating. He was also a good friend

This series realy should've been a standalone. The characters and plot in the first one just felt so developed, and dragging unrelated issues into this one just made it convoluted. I might've even liked this better if this was its own book with entirely new characters.

message 20: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Yeah, I love how in the first book Simon orchestrated and planned everything out so well, but in this book Emma and Jared were just seeking revenge in what seemed like such a petty and simplistic way. It took them ages to realise Simon’s death was a suicide in the first book, but in this book it was so obvious the support system of the landing had been tampered with, and it wasn’t that hard for Maeve and Knox to stalk Jared, figure out his connection to the revenge forum and Truth and Dare game, and call the police on him. I also found that because Jared wasn’t even introduced earlier it kind of ruined the element of surprise due to his lack of involvement in the story until the reveal. What did you think about that?

Also, why did Sean hit Knox? Was it just because he panicked and didn’t want Knox to know about the dare? I thought it was weird how he acted towards Knox, and how quickly he hooked up with Jules. I was a bit confused about that. I think this book would have been better off as a spin-off rather than a sequel. If the author does continue this series, I don’t think I’ll be interested in reading the other books, but if she writes some other novels unrelated to this series, than I’ll probably read them. I’ve been wanting to read Two Can Keep A Secret and The Cousins for a while, so hopefully they don’t disappoint.

message 21: by Brinley (new)

Brinley | 565 comments Amelie wrote: "Yeah, I love how in the first book Simon orchestrated and planned everything out so well, but in this book Emma and Jared were just seeking revenge in what seemed like such a petty and simplistic w..."

It was so obvious that the support system had been messed with! Especially once we found out it was a dare. Considering that the last dares had been risky at least, "jump on the shortcut you take every day" was a bit easy. That was my problem with the Jared thing too. it was obvious he was involved because of him stalking phoebe and all, and because we never got to know him, his being the planner wasnt surprising or impactful.

I think Sean just panicked and lashed out at the nearest person. Not sure why he punched him though, it just made their cover story a lot more convoluted.

message 22: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Yeah, I agree with you. While this was a good book, it didn’t live up to my expectations, as it was a lot more predictable than the first book, and I felt like things were rushed in the end. I also thought things were not as well planned out, and that’s what I’m lacking.