Musicians and Classical Music Lovers of Goodreads discussion

The Practice Room > Pieces We're Currently Playing

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (Sad Water Bottle), Romantic Reader (new)

Annie (Sad Water Bottle) (alyzzp) | 5 comments Mod
This is where we share the pieces we're playing and get advice from others in the group. I'll start—I'm currently working on two Chopin nocturnes, one in C Sharp Minor (No. 20), and one in B Flat Minor (Op. 9 No. 1).

message 2: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire (sapphireelkins) | 6 comments Mod
Haha what are my pieces called? I'm playing Beethoven's Sonatina (Sonata?) in C (WoO 51 - allegro), Chopin's Op. 70, No. 2 waltz, and the Stolzel Minuet in G Minor, which is significantly easier and shorter than my other pieces because why the heck not? (It's for a competition and you can take two pieces from the current level and one from the one above/below so I got this one. It's fun though.)

message 3: by Kaitlynn (new)

Kaitlynn Cook | 2 comments I'm working on deBeriot's Violin Concerto No. 9, Beethoven's Violin Sonata No. 5 (Spring), and Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances. I'm not really working towards anything besides general self improvement!

message 4: by Annie (Sad Water Bottle), Romantic Reader (new)

Sapphire wrote: "Haha what are my pieces called? I'm playing Beethoven's Sonatina (Sonata?) in C (WoO 51 - allegro), Chopin's Op. 70, No. 2 waltz, and the Stolzel Minuet in G Minor, which is significantly easier an..."

@Sapphire: Have you listened to the Arthur Rubinstein version of the Chopin waltz? He's one of the best pianists when it comes to interpreting Chopin IMO.

Also, my competitions are all online/recording-based for the time being. So that should be interesting.

@Kaitlynn: The violin concerto no. 9 is one of my favorites! It's so technical and such a crowd-pleaser.

message 5: by Sapphire (new)

A n n i e ⚔ wrote: "Sapphire wrote: "Haha what are my pieces called? I'm playing Beethoven's Sonatina (Sonata?) in C (WoO 51 - allegro), Chopin's Op. 70, No. 2 waltz, and the Stolzel Minuet in G Minor, which is signif..."

I'm listening to it right now. It's really really really really really good.
I know one of my comps is going to be recorded, but the other one hasn't said anything yet.

message 6: by Sapphire (new)

Har harrrrr new pieces! (Was that too pirate-y?)
Chopin Nocturne Op. 37, No. 1 and Bach Invention No. 13

message 7: by Annie (Sad Water Bottle), Romantic Reader (new)

Oh I love that nocturne! Good luck with the Bach lol

message 8: by Sapphire (new)

I "finished" the nocturne and immediately replaced it with Chopin's Mazurka in A Minor (op. 7, no. 2). I also started "Twilight" by Margaret Ruthven Lang and it's very pretty (except for when in my hands). A little while ago, I started a piano trio by Julius Klengel (op. 39, no. 2). This one sounds like me dying, which is frustrating, but, alas, that is the life of one who isn't actually that good.

message 9: by Jimal (new)

Jimal Shepard | 3 comments I'm playing several Christmas songs (Angels We Have Heard on High, Angels from the Realm of Glory, The First Noel, etc.) I'm also playing several original pieces. All on piano.

message 10: by Cynthia Crawford (new)

Cynthia Crawford | 2 comments Bach Invention 9 in F minor, Debussy "The girl with the flaxen hair" (will take a long time to learn), several Mozart slow movements from sonatas, Copeland, "In Evening Air', Haydn slow mvt...
(piano)
Recorder
several trio sonatas with viola da gamba and harpsichord. Loiellet duets.

Musicians and Classical Music Lovers of Goodreads

unread topics | mark unread