Legends of the First Empire discussion

Book 4: Age of Legend > Suri - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 2 comments This post contains spoilers. Don't read if you have not finished Age of Legend.

I really like the series so far and agree with others that this book was more set up for the remaining 2 books. However, I just can't wrap my head around the whole Suri situation in this book.

Suri is their greatest weapon and defense against the Miralyith. I really can't understand how Persphone would have sent her, alone, to Avempartha. She receives a letter saying lets talk peace, by sending your only real defense, alone to face who knows what. Even an inexperienced leader wouldn't send their greatest asset into the hands of the enemy.

Then I totally cannot fathom how Suri would agree to put the collar on, really at all, but it makes no sense to agree to put it on while still days away from the meeting. I know she thinks Arion thinks she needs to have the meeting, but it just doesn't make sense to trust your enemies so completely.

message 2: by Damien (new)

Damien Harris | 6 comments Desperate times require desperate measures. While I find it easy as a reader of a great story to second guess a characters decision, I also realize history is filled with decisions I don’t understand because I am not living in the moment. The decision to send Suri was easy for me to accept. She went because she is so confident in her abilities with the art. She had lived through and stood up to Gryndal. Even as she approached Avempartha she was confident. For Persephone, she was hesitant but desperate. I get it.
The collar was different. That was straight conviction and belief in Arion. She had to meet the Fane, she had to negotiate so she wouldn’t have to create more Gilarabrywn, see more death or cause more death. I also feel she was at a point that she didn’t care if she died. She wasn’t living a life she liked, she had lost everyone she loved, she didn’t care anymore. She couldn’t kill herself but death by the enemy is something that happens in life. Some war hero’s acted not out of reason but out of not caring what happened to them. I can believe it, plus it makes for a great story.

message 3: by Damien (new)

Damien Harris | 6 comments Couldn’t edit and my last sentence was cut off. I get it and can believe it. Plus it makes for a great story.

message 4: by Robin P (new)

Robin P Suri herself was not devious. She didn't even understand figures of speech when she started living with the tribe. So it's understandable that she didn't suspect a trick.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Aug 19, 2020 06:44AM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 119 comments Mod
@Andrew - from my perspective, there are a few things.

1. Persephone is pretty sure that if anyone can "handle themselves" it is Suri.

2. Persephone is so desperate for peace that she'll try anything.

3. Persephone sees others as she sees herself. Since she doesn't have a devious bone in her body, she trust that others are being "straightforth and honest" as well.

4. Suri really isn't doing anything to aid the war effort while in the dragon camp. She has "done her part" - so it's not like she is some huge protector that is a loss if she leaves.

As for Suri and the collar. She has 100% trust in Arion and if she said that Suri had to meet with the fane...and if wearing the collar was the only way to do that. Well, then she was willing to give it a try.