Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > Then the Winged Hussars arrived!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (warrior1775) | 6 comments Okay so, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. circa 1600-1700 (it existed 1569-1795 in various sizes). Any suggestions?

message 2: by C.P. (last edited Aug 07, 2020 04:47PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 564 comments I know of almost nothing in English set in that particular period.

If you're willing to expand a bit before 1569, I can recommend Silent Water and its sequel, due out in October, both by P.K. Adams. The author is Polish, although her pen name is not.

My own Song of the Siren also starts and ends in Poland, ca. 1542, but that's not its primary focus.

The Winged Hussars are really cool, though. I wish someone would write a novel about them!

message 3: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (warrior1775) | 6 comments C.P. wrote: "I know of almost nothing in English set in that particular period.

If you're willing to expand a bit before 1569, I can recommend Silent Water and its sequel, due out in October, b..."

Thanks, will look into those suggestions. I agree on the lack of English language options. Some of the best known that cover the time period are by Henryk Sienkiewicz, but otherwise it seems to be slim pickings in terms of historical fiction.

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 53 comments I recently saw the movie version of Taras Bulba but I'm not sure if it covers the time period you're interested in.

message 5: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (warrior1775) | 6 comments ``Laurie wrote: "I recently saw the movie version of Taras Bulba but I'm not sure if it covers the time period you're interested in."

Laurie, yes- the movie is based on a book, both set in that time period and both involving Winged Hussars. This version is more of a... Ukranian nationalist cossacks rebelling against Polish rule, book. I havent read that book, thank you for your suggestion.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments It's not a book, but there is (perhaps unsurprisingly) an episode of Sabaton History on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_L5a...

message 7: by Eva (new)

Eva | 4 comments Check out Poland by James A. Michener (who's won a Pulitzer), a big novel which covers eight centuries of time (including the Polish-Lituanian Commonwealth in part 5 of the novel).

The Books of Jacob by Nobel prize winner Olga Tokarczuk is also set in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (and the Hapsburg and Ottoman empires).