CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > w/o August 7 to 13, 2020

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3542 comments Mod
Good morning readers!

I hope that summer is bringing some rest, relaxation and reading times!! R&R&R!

What are you finished reading? What are you reading now and what is next?

Have a great day!

message 2: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments Well I finished Daisy Jones & The Six - everyone in my in person book club loved it.

Started The Vanishing Half which I am enjoying. This is my in person book clubs pick for August.

Carrying on with my Royal Bastards MC series 26 for Series 1 and 26 for Series 2 - https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=ro...

Also reading Change Your Schedule, Change Your Life: How to Harness the Power of Clock Genes to Lose Weight, Optimize Your Workout, and Finally Get a Good Night's Sleep

and Listening to: Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds - it hit a really depressing part that was breaking my heart so I had to stop - back listening now.

message 3: by Alan (last edited Aug 07, 2020 07:20AM) (new)

Alan | 542 comments I finished a very fine collection of short fiction, a very recent publication by the Halifax based writer Ian Colford .The title is A Dark House and Other Stories. I had never heard of Colford’s work even though he has written fiction and non-fiction and other collections of short stories but after reading this I think he’s among the best of contemporary short story writers. There are three total duds in the collection,including unfortunately the title story which goes nowhere. But the rest of the work is breathtakingly beautiful. His insight into human character and misdeed just blew me away.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 731 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished the graphic novel Glass Town: The Imaginary World of the Brontës, which I really enjoyed. I also (finally!) finished The Mirror & the Light. The ending was very moving and so well done. I do think the book could have been a bit shorter, but Mantel did manage to work in many things toward the end that had seemed extraneous earlier on. I enjoyed it overall.

I needed a change of pace after that long, dense novel, so I'm currently whizzing through The Cactus League, which is a set of linked stories set around a baseball team's spring training in Arizona.

My current nonfiction read is Turning, a memoir by a Canadian woman who was studying in Berlin and decided to swim in 52 lakes in the region in one year.

message 5: by Alan (last edited Aug 07, 2020 11:13AM) (new)

Alan | 542 comments Just finished a very good audio book that has been keeping me sane during my at-home work.
Recipe for A Perfect Wife. I had not heard of the title nor the author and found it on the crazy for Canada list. Hearing it read was a stroke of luck. There are two narrators,an historical one and a contemporary one. The historical parts of the book are very disturbing and exceptionally well-read. The contemporary plot is considerably less interesting and the narrator displays that. I think it’s still a great book and I just had a copy sent to my mother who I know will love it. Unfortunately I don’t think the Giller jury will pick it because even though it tells a story important to tell,the narrative is a bit on the conventional side.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joanna_g) | 42 comments It's been awhile. Since I often use Goodreads as a break from work, that all went out the window while working from home. As well as my focus to actually read. But I'm trying to get back into both reading and posting about it.

So, just recently, I've finished:

Artificial Condition Was so happy my library starting doing curbside pickup so that I could keep reading on in this series. Murderbot remains delightful - I came home, read it, and immediately put requests in for all of the rest.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks For my book club. Also highly enjoyable. So many small parts of it could have been full books of their own. I would have liked a little more science to it - like what sorts of things were being done with Henrietta's cells, I didn't come away feeling like I understood that, just that they were incredibly useful.

The Water Dancer Just finished this one. I struggled a little with the pace, really had to push myself through it at times, it just never caught for me.

This Place: 150 Years Retold Oh man. I've been through some good books lately, but this is the one I recommend for anyone Canadian. It's a graphic novel anthology of various Indigenous stories set throughout Canada's history. There were many stories about things I had no idea about, and others with a new angle on stories I did know about it. I really recommend it. If anyone needs a graphic novel for the Indigenous Reads challenge, grab this book!

As for what's next, I'm in a weird mood, so I'm actually not sure. I'm actually sitting here with four books next to me, ranging from a rom-com (Meet Cute) to horror (Under the Dome) because I really don't know what I want to get into.

message 7: by ❀ Susan (new)

Hi everyone!

@Joanna - I loved reading the Henrietta Lacks book. It is hard to believe the lack of palliative care and lack of informed consent, not to mention the racism in this book. I am thankful for her cells that have enabled so many vaccines, cancer treatments and medications but my eyes were certainly opened by this book!

I finished Bitter Paradise for book club. The author joined our book club and we had a fabulous discussion about his book with dealt with a fictional polio epidemic and was set in Hamilton. It was nice that we could have a socially distant, outside meeting.

Yesterday, I finished Machine Without Horses by Helen Humphreys. She has such beautifully, quiet prose and I am surprised that her books are not more celebrated. This one was a mix of fiction and non-fiction as she told her story, research and learning about making fishing lures and the story of an expert fly fishing lure maker who lived independently before her time. She imagined a possible love interest fo her. it was a quick read and I am still not sure why it was titled the way it was but I did enjoy it.

I am still in the midst of Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones and started Crow Winter. September book club is to read a book from the Evergreen Awards list so this will be my choices. I might also try and finish Frying Plantain as I have heard good reviews.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 73 comments Hello! I'm still making my way through Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club. And despite how grim it is, it doesn't at all feel gratuitous. Just incredibly honest. I am a sucker for character driven books, and I can't believe I waited this long to pick this up!

message 9: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) @❀ Susan, I really like Helen Humphreys' writing too. I especially loved The Lost Garden , Afterimage, Coventry and The Evening Chorus. Thanks for telling me about Machine Without Horses. There's something atmospheric about her writing that lingers on inside me when I read her books.

This week, I finished and loved Mary Ann Sate, Imbecile and am now reading four novellas by Doris Lessing: The Grandmothers as well as some non-fiction The Global Forest.

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 542 comments Evening Chorus is one of my all-time favourites and she has a new title coming out within the next two weeks. already listed on audible.

message 11: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Happy Saturday!

This week I finished The Lions of Fifth Avenue and This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor in audiobook. Loved them both!
Currently reading The Glass Hotel for the Markham Library Read and listening to A Letter From Paris: A True Story of Hidden Art, Lost Romance, and Family Reclaimed.
Have a great weekend!

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

Happy National Book Lovers Day!!

message 13: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 575 comments @Susan, Same to you! A great reason to read today!

message 14: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 201 comments This week I read Lawrence Hill's first novel, Some Great Thing. It was inspired by his own early experiences as a newspaper reporter in Winnipeg in the 1980s -- and as a former Winnipeg Sun editor myself, I found that his observations certainly rang true! The book is "uneven," as they say, but shows great promise of better things to come.