Addicted to YA discussion

Blogs and Social Media > Giving Up Your Book Reviewing :(

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice) (marriedtobooks44) | 70 comments I’ve just deactivated my social medias since I’m heartbroken. I thought that being part of the book community would finally get my voice heard and meet others like myself. Instead I was lied to, others went behind my back and I got bullied for having a life long disability.

I’m really not sure if I should stay here on Goodreads. It will be 5 yrs this month since I made this profile. I’m still reading books but to be honest, most of the community is coming across very toxic.

What should I do?

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (robynacuff) | 41 comments I am sooo sorry that happened to you!!!
People can be such assholes, pardon my language🙃
I love reading your views on books, so I say be brave and forge on.
But if you don’t feel safe on Goodreads definitely report the people who are harassing you, and maybe take a break for awhile!!
But I hope you do come back!!
Wishing you good vibes & good reads!!📚📖❤️🙂

message 3: by Beenish (new)

Beenish (beenishamir) I'm sorry that happened. I've come across such people too.

please don't leave a place you love because of those people. just unfriend them, block or report them.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahakhtar) | 78 comments I had no idea that people who READ can be like that. If you feel like take a break but don't let them get to you.

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) A) This is why I hate people
B) You shouldn't have to stop reviewing books just because people suck. If it's your "friends" who are bullying you, just unfriend them. As for everyone else, like @Beenish said, block or report them.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (ladyrose_wolf) | 46 comments I'm really sorry to hear this, I've recently just joined this book club trying to find friends who like books just as much as I do (never being in one before) and to know that people who have a passion for books can be mean....
I hope you don't leave this group, it would be nice to have a chat about our favourite books. But if you need the time off then do take it.

message 7: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Owens | 255 comments Hi, not sure you’ll see this with how much time has gone passed since this post was created but only just seen this now. I’m pretty new to the book community but I’m a disabled reader too so it’s a shame that this bullying is a thing. I hope that the bullying you’ve faced doesn’t stop you from doing what you love, take care :)

message 8: by Alana (new)

Alana | 84 comments I’m so sorry you have had that experience here. I haven’t been on here as long as you but I have had good experiences. I don’t think you should delete your account. Maybe just leave whatever groups you were in that had those mean people in them and try some different ones. I’m in some that have really nice people, I would be happy to recommend them to you if you want to give them a try. Just like any online community there will be good and bad groups, you just need to find the right ones for you. 💕

message 9: by Beenish (new)

Beenish (beenishamir) exactly!

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 25 comments There are always going to be haters, but just ignore them. There are obviously a lot of people who do support you (even in just this discussion!) and those are the people you pay attention to

message 11: by Athena (new)

Athena (OneReadingNurse) (onereadingnurse) | 30 comments the book community has gotten extremely judgemental, rude, cancel-y, and i think you have to be willing to just stand up for what you believe in and block the @$$holes. there are always people that support you too!

message 12: by Aisha (new)

Aisha Urooj (aishaurooj) | 5 comments You have accomplished quite a lot on Goodreads. Sometimes taking a break is good. Refresh and recharge. I am sure your review readers and followers appreciate your insights and would be sad to see you go.