What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Life change non-fiction book suggestions written by psychologists

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gideon (last edited Aug 13, 2020 07:36PM) (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Books written by psychologists such as Peak by Anders Ericsson, Grit by Duckworth tend to touch me in a special way.
Anders Ericsson in Peak teaches us that becoming the best in your field has nothing to do with 'talent' but everything to do with conscious 'deliberate practice'.
Duckworth in Grit tells us about willpower, which makes some people who do not have it to have new year resolutions but by February they are back to where they left off.
Both authors sited research examples (conducted by themselves and other psychologists) and historical back-ups to substantiate their claims (which are contrary to what is popular about success or the successful such as Mozart).
Can anyone suggest some other great books (like these) written by psychologists that will make one to consistently, systematically, and joyfully pay the price for changes till they (the lifestyle) become second or even first nature?

message 2: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 262 comments I really enjoyed Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini.

message 3: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Thanks. I have that. Any other?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39593 comments Mod
Gideon, please add what topic you are looking for in your topic header. This saves time for members.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35348 comments Mod
Gideon, that's a good start. You must add a more general description of the type of non-fiction books you're looking for. Assume most members are not familiar with the books and authors you mentioned. Are you looking for certain topics/themes, type or style of psychological help, etc.?

We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 7: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Kris wrote: "Gideon, that's a good start. You must add a more general description of the type of non-fiction books you're looking for. Assume most members are not familiar with the books and authors you mention..."

Anisha_book_lover wrote: "Maybe "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking""

Thank you @Anisha_book_lover, I have that book.

message 8: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Kris wrote: "Gideon, that's a good start. You must add a more general description of the type of non-fiction books you're looking for. Assume most members are not familiar with the books and authors you mention..."

I just did that my able moderator.

message 9: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Rachel wrote: "I enjoyed The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves"

Thank you @Rachel. I will find out.
Thanks agian great lady.

message 10: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Gideon, please add what topic you are looking for in your topic header. This saves time for members."

I have done that Sir.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 270 comments You should revisit the first paragraph in message 6 above.

message 12: by Kris (last edited Aug 13, 2020 06:28AM) (new)

Kris | 35348 comments Mod
I added "written by psychologists" to the topic header (i.e., the title after "Suggest books for me >") but that's not specific enough for this large group.

In general, how would describe what you liked about "Peak by Anders Ericsson, Grit by Duckworth"? The issues, themes, type of psychology, etc.? Assume most members are not familiar with these specific books.

message 13: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Kris wrote: "I added "written by psychologists" to the topic header (i.e., the title after "Suggest books for me >") but that's not specific enough for this large group.

In general, how would describe what you..."

One good thing I know about moderators is that they are leaders who want to create more leaders, in this regard you have not disappointed me, thank you.

message 14: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Emily wrote: "You should revisit the first paragraph in message 6 above."

@Emily, you must be an engineer or maybe a surgeon who pays attention to details. Thank you, I have tried to improve it a bit. Check if there are more improvements I need to make.

message 15: by Etta.n (new)

Etta.n | 93 comments The Sane Society by Eric Fromm is an older one but still really groundbreaking...

Knots - Laing is a good, dense but short read on the unconscious.

The Mass Psychology of Fascism is v. good.

The Wretched of the Earth if you want Dr. Fanon's postcolonial perspective on imperialism and mental disorders.

message 16: by Emily (last edited Aug 14, 2020 09:50AM) (new)

Emily | 270 comments Gideon wrote: " you must be an engineer or maybe a surgeon who pays attention to details. Thank you, I have tried to improve it a bit ..."

If I were, I'd (maybe) be making a lot more money than I do as a librarian!

Gideon wrote: "Check if there are more improvements I need to make."

You should follow the moderator's guidance in message 13 to add to the topic header:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

**Here is how to add to the topic header, from message 6:**

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 17: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Etta.n wrote: "The Sane Society by Eric Fromm is an older one but still really groundbreaking...

Knots - Laing is a good, dense but short read on the unconscious.

[book:The Mass ..."

Wao, I will check out these new collections, my able prof. of life change.
Thanks again @Etta.a

message 18: by Gideon (new)

Gideon | 11 comments Emily wrote: "Gideon wrote: " you must be an engineer or maybe a surgeon who pays attention to details. Thank you, I have tried to improve it a bit ..."

If I were, I'd (maybe) be making a lot more money than I ..."

@Emily, homework is done Ma. I believe I got 100% or 98%.
Thanks for the guides.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39593 comments Mod
Gideon wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Gideon, please add what topic you are looking for in your topic header. This saves time for members."

I have done that Sir."

Excellent, Madam.