Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > The Outsider - Stephen King - August 24th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Come join me, Vickie and Lisa (and maybe Latasha) for a buddy read of The Outsider by Stephen King!

We'll be starting around August 24th and all are welcome to join.

Really looking forward to finally read this one! I plan on watching the HBO series after the book and hope it's good, the book and the series. :)

message 2: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Woohoo, can't wait! I want to watch the series as well.👍

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I enjoyed the book and the HBO series!! I might jump in 😊

message 4: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Vickie wrote: "Woohoo, can't wait! I want to watch the series as well.👍"

Me too!!

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I enjoyed the book and the HBO series!! I might jump in 😊"

Awesome Mel and glad you liked both! Please join if you can!

message 6: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Finally! I waited for this BR to be happening 😂
I hope to join you. I really wanted to BR this, but have little reading time right now and with Hendrix and my current reads in August I am not sure I can make it. But I'll try and maybe join in a few days later, if that's okay for you!
I am very excited about this one. It's been a while since I've read the Bill Hodges Trilogy and I know they are connected in some way. I also got a major (very stupid) spoiler when the book was first released and thus didn't want to read it anymore.. I tried to forget, but couldn't. But it's long enough ago that I'm excited again to read The Outsider :D

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 34 comments Already read it! But loved it. Will be interested to hear what you think!

message 8: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Feli wrote: "Finally! I waited for this BR to be happening 😂
I hope to join you. I really wanted to BR this, but have little reading time right now and with Hendrix and my current reads in August I am not sure ..."

hahaha!! I hope you can purge this spoiler out of your head when you start this Feli.

Yes!! Start when it works for you! I knew you really wanted to read this one for a BR and hope you can join us at the end of the month. You know how I read Needful Things and I was slow as molasses because of personal life shenanigans. So do what you can and join us!

message 9: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Kirsten wrote: "Already read it! But loved it. Will be interested to hear what you think!"

Glad you loved this one Kirsten!! And glad you can join our discussion. :D

message 10: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11071 comments Mod
I'm gonna try to make it!

message 11: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Very tempted to join for this, if I can get a copy in time!

Although I've only read the first in the Bill Hodges trilogy, is that going to be an issue? I didn't realise they were related!

message 12: by Vickie (last edited Aug 06, 2020 06:55PM) (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Krystal wrote: "Very tempted to join for this, if I can get a copy in time!

Although I've only read the first in the Bill Hodges trilogy, is that going to be an issue? I didn't realise they were related!"

There are spoilers from the trilogy in The Outsider, so that's up to you.🤷🏼‍♀️

message 13: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Vickie wrote: "There are spoilers from the trilogy in The Outsider, so that's up to you.🤷🏼‍♀️"

Ah ok! I might sit it out then, catch up on the trilogy and read this one later. Thanks for the heads up!

message 14: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm gonna try to make it!"

Awesome! I hope you can!

message 15: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Vickie wrote: "There are spoilers from the trilogy in The Outsider, so that's up to you.🤷🏼‍♀️"

I had no idea on that. Good to know and glad we read this series first!

message 16: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Ginger wrote: "Vickie wrote: "There are spoilers from the trilogy in The Outsider, so that's up to you.🤷🏼‍♀️"

I had no idea on that. Good to know and glad we read this series first!"

Yeah, I saw that written all over the place, so I'm glad we read them first too!

message 17: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Ginger wrote: "Vickie wrote: "There are spoilers from the trilogy in The Outsider, so that's up to you.🤷🏼‍♀️"

I had no idea on that. Good to know and glad we read this series first!"

Oh, I thought that was the reason you read and finished the series in the first place 😂 Good that did that, though! There should be King-Universe-Spoiler/Reference-Tags on every SK book. That would be a lot of work but maybe a lifetime goal for someone 😂

I've read Needful Thinks before reading The Dark Half and than reread Needful Things all those year later and I got a lot more out of it. Now I wish I had read the other Castle Rock novels too, like Cujo and The Dead Zone to get every reference. 🤦🏻‍♀️

message 18: by Ginger (last edited Aug 09, 2020 09:34AM) (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Feli wrote: "There should be King-Universe-Spoiler/Reference-Tags on every SK book."

You are right Feli.
We really need a flowchart on which books to read before we read another SK book!
I had no Pangborn is in The Dark Half!

It's amazing how many recurring characters and towns he has in his books. LOL

message 19: by Latasha (new)

well, my library hold should line up with this. so as long as everything goes right, i should be here for this one!

message 20: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Latasha wrote: "well, my library hold should line up with this. so as long as everything goes right, i should be here for this one!"

Yay!! Great news Latasha!

message 21: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Ginger wrote: "Feli wrote: "There should be King-Universe-Spoiler/Reference-Tags on every SK book."

You are right Feli.
We really need a flowchart on which books to read before we read another SK book!
I had no ..."

I've decided to go on reading the rest of his Castle Rock novels. It feels right to finally get them done as long as I still remember most of Dark Half and Needful Things 😂

I will join you with the Audiobook for The Outsider. I am just not sure I can manage 2 physical books at the same time (I have to read with my kindle at nights to not disturb hubby and baby) and think I will be too slow to finished The Southern's Guide in just a week. The Kindle version of The Outsider is too expensive for a book I already own but I saved my last Audible credit so that's an option then to still be able to 'read' it with y'all 😂😄 (a good plan is everything one needs, haha)

message 22: by Latasha (new)

I will be listening as well.

message 23: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3521 comments Mod
I will definitely pop in to read the comments, loved the book personally and then enjoyed watching my bfs face when we watched the show since I already knew the plot, and also we're both big fans of Ben Mendelsohn whom we just call, Talos.

message 24: by Ginger (last edited Aug 19, 2020 07:12AM) (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Kasia wrote: "I will definitely pop in to read the comments, loved the book personally and then enjoyed watching my bfs face when we watched the show since I already knew the plot, and also we're both big fans o..."

I am also a big fan of Ben Mendelsohn and glad you loved the series! I'm looking forward to watching it after the book!
Kasia, did you notice many differences between the book and the tv series?

message 25: by Ginger (last edited Aug 23, 2020 04:49PM) (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments I'll try and get started on this in the next few days.

If you want, go ahead and start this depending on your library loan (I know how that goes!) or if you are at a good point to start it. Looking forward to reading this one with you all!

message 26: by Latasha (new)

I’ll be starting Tuesday at the latest.

message 27: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) I should be able to start tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 496 comments Will start Tuesday as well :)

message 29: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3659 comments I read this book last year and it was one of my top reads for 2019! I will be peeking in here to see what you all think about it as I loved the book and read it within two days! :)

message 30: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Marie wrote: "I read this book last year and it was one of my top reads for 2019! I will be peeking in here to see what you all think about it as I loved the book and read it within two days! :)"

Great to hear Marie!! So awesome you read this in a few days and loved it. Glad you are joining us!

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3659 comments Ginger wrote: "Marie wrote: "I read this book last year and it was one of my top reads for 2019! I will be peeking in here to see what you all think about it as I loved the book and read it within two days! :)" Great to hear Marie!! So awesome you read this in a few days and loved it. Glad you are joining us!"

Thank you, Ginger! I like hanging out with you all! :)

message 32: by Latasha (new)

I started today. Man, that crime is brutal.

message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3659 comments Latasha wrote: "I started today. Man, that crime is brutal."

Yeah it is rough at first with the crime, but as the story moves along you are going to be entranced! :)

message 34: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Latasha wrote: "I started today. Man, that crime is brutal."

Yeah... just awful.😖

message 35: by Ginger (last edited Aug 25, 2020 08:32AM) (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Latasha wrote: "I started today. Man, that crime is brutal."

I'm going to start tonight. I'm trying to finish Hendrix's book first but not sure if that will happen with my busy day.
By the way, I can see why you finished it in 2-3 days.
It's so good! And infuriating that (view spoiler)
It makes me think of My Best Friend's Exorcism. No one (view spoiler)

message 36: by Kasia (last edited Aug 25, 2020 08:34AM) (new)

Ginger wrote: "Kasia wrote: "I will definitely pop in to read the comments, loved the book personally and then enjoyed watching my bfs face when we watched the show since I already knew the plot, and also we're b..."

There were some, but overall it was a pretty faithful adaptation and it made me fall in love with Holly Gibney who was phenomenal on the show... So now of course I have to go backwards and read the Mr. Merceds trilogy despite of some spoilage.

message 37: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3659 comments Ginger wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I started today. Man, that crime is brutal."

I'm going to start tonight. I'm trying to finish Hendrix's book first but not sure if that will happen with my busy day.
By the way, I ..."

Yeah I was like on "pins and needles" with the book! You all will see as you get further into the storyline as King wrote it like a true mystery! I think I went through a bag a munchies while reading it too! lol :)

message 38: by Latasha (new)

Ginger wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I started today. Man, that crime is brutal."

By the way, I ..."

yes!! it is sooo good!

message 39: by Latasha (new)

i'm not sure what chapter i'm on because overdrive breaks audio books up into parts and my ipod is ancient. it just says part 4. are we dealing with a (view spoiler) no, don't really answer that. i want to be surprised.

message 40: by Latasha (last edited Aug 26, 2020 12:52PM) (new)

ok, i'm up to Yellow, July 21-22. i think around 50%
it's great so far but i have no idea what/who killed that boy. here is some ramblings- (view spoiler)

message 41: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments This sounds like a great read. I just read all your comments.
I will start tomorrow but I know I won't have the time to finish as fast as you all are reading. I only have less than an hour reading time per day and the audio book is ~19h. I will read your all your comments when I get there. Can't wait :)

message 42: by Latasha (new)

I listen while at work, that’s how I get through them so fast. I can skip days to slow down if y’all want me too.

message 43: by Kasia (last edited Aug 26, 2020 03:03PM) (new)

Omg Latasha, your comment about audiobooks reminded me of this comment I read once, about some person listening to a Sherlock Holmes story while driving and being so confused about the plot... then they said they had the CD on shuffle by mistake... I almost lost it laughing!

message 44: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Latasha wrote: "I listen while at work, that’s how I get through them so fast. I can skip days to slow down if y’all want me too."

No, I think you should finish it as fast as you want. I know when I'm really into a book it's hard to wait. lol!

message 45: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Feli wrote: "This sounds like a great read. I just read all your comments.
I will start tomorrow but I know I won't have the time to finish as fast as you all are reading. I only have less than an hour reading ..."

Same. I'm only going to be reading about an hour a day before bed. Don't sweat it. We'll finish it as fast as we can with our schedules. :D

message 46: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3419 comments Kasia wrote: "Omg Latasha, your comment about audiobooks reminded me of this comment I read once, about some person listening to a Sherlock Holmes story while driving and being so confused about the plot... then..."

Hahahaha!! That is super funny.

message 47: by Latasha (new)

Lmao! The cd on shuffle!!

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 496 comments Feli wrote: "This sounds like a great read. I just read all your comments.
I will start tomorrow but I know I won't have the time to finish as fast as you all are reading. I only have less than an hour reading ..."

I will be slower like you, Feli. I have to finish two other books by Aug 31, and I still haven't finished The Reddening 😂

And OMG, the CD shuffle thing is too funny...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Kasia wrote: "Omg Latasha, your comment about audiobooks reminded me of this comment I read once, about some person listening to a Sherlock Holmes story while driving and being so confused about the plot... then..."

The cd shuffle 🤣😂

I really want to reread this one with y’all. It’s bumming me out 😕. I’m so behind on buddy reads, I’m getting stressed 😕

And now I see where Tosh was when I was texting her earlier, she was on this thread 🤣😂

message 50: by Latasha (new)

Oh! I meant to say this earlier but this narrator is so freakin amazing!!!!!

« previous 1 3