Play Book Tag discussion

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
This topic is about The Ocean at the End of the Lane
August 2020: Witches > [Poll Ballot] The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4056 comments The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - 2 stars - My Review

Dark novel about a man attending a funeral near his childhood home. While visiting, he flashes back to his disturbing experiences as a child. Some memories involve an older woman possessing witch-like powers. Themes include memory and identity.

I had previously read and enjoyed Anansi Boys, and I picked this book up to complete a challenge. Gaiman’s writing is extremely creative, but the content is a little too chilling for my taste. If you enjoy horror, then you will like this much more than I did.

Jgrace | 2977 comments I don't know what it is about Neil Gaiman. I don't usually enjoy horror, or dark themes. But if Gaiman writes it, and especially if he reads it, I like it.

Joy D | 4056 comments Jgrace wrote: "I don't know what it is about Neil Gaiman. I don't usually enjoy horror, or dark themes. But if Gaiman writes it, and especially if he reads it, I like it."

I really enjoyed Anansi Boys but this one was just too dark for me. I had nightmares. Seriously, I am such a lightweight when it comes to creepy or scary stuff. Gaiman reads this one and does a nice job on it.