#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Buddy Reads > Villette by Charlotte Bronte *buddy read* (August 2020)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Would anyone like to buddy read Villette by Charlotte Bronte with me from 15th August?
I have a bookstagram page @bleadenreads where I review books, so come and say hello!
Jane Eyre is one of my all time favourite novels but I've never read any of Charlotte's other novels (I've read all of Anne's work and Emily's).

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments I would definitely love to !!

message 3: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Minter-Brown (georgiemb) | 19 comments Me!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay this is exciting!
I will be posting my progress and then review on my instagram @bleadenreads - so come and say hi!
How long shall we do the buddy read for? Two weeks or a month?

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments Yay! Ive already followed your instagram - I’m @allieereads !

How about we do the buddy read from monday till the end of august? Does that give us enough time? We can then figure out how much we want to read per week or whatever.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

sounds good @allieereads!

message 7: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Minter-Brown (georgiemb) | 19 comments I’ve followed you! I don’t have a bookstagram, but here’s my insta @georgie_mb

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

In terms of a reading schedule, I was thinking of keeping this pretty chill. We can try and keep things spoiler free when we discuss the book on here

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

In terms of a reading schedule, I was thinking of keeping this pretty chill. We can try and keep things spoiler free when we discuss the book on here

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

also we can keep tabs on Instagram with #villettereadalong

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 54 comments I would be in
adore Jane eyre xx

message 12: by Vero (new)

Vero | 2 comments Count me in! I had just bought Villette two weeks or so ago and I'm very glad to read it alongside other people! My Instagram is @verobereading I'll go follow you straight away!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay this is great!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) I got the Bronte sisiters collection of books for Christmas and hadn't taken them out of the box yet! I know I know...

Anyway I grabbed this one this morning and read chapter 1 already it is pretty good. So I'm in. Is the discussion here or over on your instagram? I just followed you this morning as well...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

discussion can be on here or Instagram :)

message 16: by Vero (new)

Vero | 2 comments Just finished chapter 5! These few introductory chapters are quite weird, aren't they? We get introduced to so many characters that we abandon straight away and it feels like a lot, but at the same time it's VERY intriguing!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just got to chapter 5 and I agree. They must come back later in the plot! Intriguing is definitely how I would describe Lucy Snowe and the opening of chapter 4 was beautifully done.

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments I haven’t been able to read anything yet which I’m so annoyed about haha but I’m planning to tonight! I can’t wait to be introduced to these characters and see what you both have been talking about!

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments okay, so ive been reading the past twoish days and wow. im really enjoying this book much more than i anticipated! im up to volume two, chapter 16. Lucy is definitely growing on me now.

im really interested to see where this story goes...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

ah that's amazing! I didn't get to read as much as I wanted yesterday, I'm only on chapter 10! but enjoying it more and more

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucy Snowe (protagonist) is very intriguing - a private narrator who keenly observes those around her but reveals very little about herself. She is simultaneously brave and naive

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm also enjoying the social commentary (v similar to Anne's style) - especially on the vulnerability of governesses in this period

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

how is everyone getting on with Villette?

message 24: by Chubbs (new)

Chubbs | 1 comments I'm up to Chapter 13 and I'm finding it rather dull... Please say it gets better....and I wish i knew more French lol

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

it does get better but I will admit, I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. My penguin edition has the translation in the notes at the back which breaks up the flow of reading

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

https://youtu.be/5g0ri0bKCws
found this video that talks about Villette and now things make a bit more sense

message 27: by thelibraryofalexandra (last edited Aug 16, 2020 05:26PM) (new)

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments I'm really enjoying it. Im on chapter 27 and i feel like it's starting to pick up a bit. I also agree about lucy in that she is a keen observer and I also find her to be a slightly unreliable narrator.

I think the main theme that I am enjoying is the exploration of loneliness and how crippling it can be as well as portraying Lucy's depression throughout the novel. I also liked how the characters that we met at the beginning of the novel make a reappearance.

It took me a while to fully get into it, so i can completely understand that! the french does break up the flow of reading, and i wish that the translations for it were as footnotes in my edition instead of having to go to the back of the book instead! but that's just a pet peeve!

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments Hi everyone! I just finished Villette and I am looking forward to hearing all of your thoughts! Xx

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

wow amazing! I'm just over half way and I'm really loving it now. I think the Letter chapter was my favourite so far

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just finished it! Cant wait to hear what you all think