NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Review rejected by Amazon?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments Are they now rejecting the word "Netgalley" They said it was unsuitable and I am baffled.

message 2: by MarilynW (last edited Aug 05, 2020 10:15AM) (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 76 comments I posted two reviews that thanked the publishers and NetGalley, just yesterday, and they took them. 😕

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Boyd (loriboyd) | 26 comments I always thank the author, publishing house and NetGalley for the ARC. Follow up with opinion is mine alone. I know a while back they were rejecting reviews, but I believe it might depend if you are a regular customer.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments I wonder if they're considering Netgalley a brand now? one of my reviews wasn't accepted because I said I was using a tripod for YouTube vids.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments I'm a pretty frequent customer.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments The Kawaii Slartibartfast wrote: "Are they now rejecting the word "Netgalley" They said it was unsuitable and I am baffled."

None of mine have been rejected by Amazon this week - usually unsuitable means a swear word

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie | 17 comments When I post my reviews to Amazon, I add this disclaimer:

"I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own."

When I post my reviews in other places, I add this disclaimer:

"Copy provided by NetGalley and Goodreads in exchange for a fair and honest review."

Amazon is very particular about disclaimers. Good luck!

message 8: by TBHONEST (new)

TBHONEST | 3 comments I know personally and have heard of numerous people on Amazon either having reviews rejected or their accounts banned, all have one thing in common they mention it’s an ARC and they thank the publisher and NetGalley for the copy.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie | 17 comments That's why one has to be very careful to word the disclaimer exactly how Amazon wants it. It's unfortunate that we have to bow to Amazon's rules, but it is the primary place that authors want their reviews posted.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments I've been reviewing for years using the exact same wording on my arcs
"I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I loved Esme's Wish but this one I think was even better! Esme tries to convince her father of the truth but he is having none of it. I know this is a middle grade book but I actually really enjoyed the mysteries and pacing!"
that was the review. if it were my first fine it's just so odd!

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary | 2 comments The Kawaii Slartibartfast wrote: "I've been reviewing for years using the exact same wording on my arcs
"I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I loved Esme's Wish but this..."

I have similar experiences with a couple of reviews rejected when they were 5 star ratings. No explanation offered by Amazon

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments huh, I'll post a four star and see what happens?

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments just submitted a 3 star. we'll see what happens! I wonder if it has to do with people paying for 5 star reviews?

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments they accepted my 3 star?

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did. I've read a lot about the assassin game growing up but never participated. That being said, this was a very predictable mystery which is not to say that it's bad it's just not that great.

The writing is good but the tertiary characters are definitely not fully realized and it seemed very rushed.

message 15: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne (vivienneor) | 81 comments I have had two rejections in two days including one from a small independent press that really needs the publicity.

I tweeted Amazon Help and they sent me off to have a chat with CS. They are looking into.

I saw Connie’s disclaimer and may change mine to similar but put NetGalley on other reviews in other places.

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana Brown | 38 comments I am not allowed to place reviews on Amazon because I don't pay enough...I buy most of my books through Kobo because I prefer their app but my Netgalley books come through Kindle and I buy the odd Amazon ebook

message 17: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) | 34 comments Its rather odd. I always mention NetGalley in my ARC reviews & I’ve never had any rejected by Amazon.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments I think it may have been the 5 star reviews rather than Netgalley mentions.

message 19: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) | 34 comments Never had a 5 star review rejected either. Just very odd.

message 20: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) | 34 comments Although I don’t award 5 stars very often. Probably less than 10 in a year.

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (boingboing) | 16 comments Were they rejected Amy?

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 140 comments Barbara wrote: "Were they rejected Amy?"

Oops, I wrote on the wrong thread! Thank you for bringing to my attention!

message 23: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne (vivienneor) | 81 comments I suspect that another rejection is waiting in the wings for me as I submitted one on Monday and it’s not been approved.

Still of the 55 reviews already on Amazon U.K. many of the early ones are mentioning NetGalley and some even have the phrase ‘in exchange for an honest review’ or similar.

Maybe due to the earlier rejection I am on a naughty list. Still now that I have removed the phrase and just noting that I have received an ARC my reviews have been approved quickly.

message 24: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne (vivienneor) | 81 comments Well overnight my outstanding review was published. I had edited it to remove the phrase ‘in exchange for an honest review’ and the amended one has been approved.

From here on just acknowledging receipt of ARC as this seems to satisfy their bots while being honest about source of book

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments so just put that you're reviewing an ARC?

Jessica | JustReadingJess (justreadingjess) | 12 comments If your review gets rejected from amazon can you resubmit? It’s not letting me.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments I haven't been able to

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam Burrows | 3 comments Never had a review rejected but had some hidden for no obvious reason. My disclaimer usually reads something like 'thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture and Shalini Boland for the advance copy.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments Oooh, that's good!

Anita (Hearts and Whodunits) | 35 comments Just yesterday I tried posting a review for a book on Amazon and I got rejected because they said I received the book for free or at a discount and they are no longer accepting reviews from those types of books. What should I do now?

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (boingboing) | 16 comments My last two Amazon reviews for NetGalley both got rejected.

message 32: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 43 comments Anita wrote: "Just yesterday I tried posting a review for a book on Amazon and I got rejected because they said I received the book for free or at a discount and they are no longer accepting reviews from those t..."

Try resubmitting it and see if the same thing happens.

message 33: by Karren (last edited Sep 03, 2020 04:06AM) (new)

Karren  Sandercock  (karrensandercock) | 28 comments I noticed my reviews I have posted on Amazon AU are just hanging, I click on the review I can see what I have typed and yet they have not added it. I live in Australia, I don't have access to a library, over the years I have bought four kindles, paid for books, kindle unlimited membership and now I get a few books for free and they don't want to post my reviews. I think it sucks as reviewers we help sell books, they still make money and yet they don't accept our reviews?

message 34: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments I posted 3 on Tuesday on Amazon US that I received from NetGalley with no issues. Have you met their $ amount for purchases? Also, what statement are you using? I have stuck with the same one... I received a DRC from (publisher) through (NetGalley, Edelweiss +. or wherever I got it).
I'd try again to see if there was some kind of glitch.

Melissa (Semi-hiatus for daughter's wedding) (melissaparcel) | 17 comments Anita wrote: "Just yesterday I tried posting a review for a book on Amazon and I got rejected because they said I received the book for free or at a discount and they are no longer accepting reviews from those t..."
Anita--did you use the word "exchange" in your review? I think that word triggers rejection. You can receive a free copy, you just can't say that it's in exchange for anything. I use the line "I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own" and I have never had a review rejected.

message 36: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne (vivienneor) | 81 comments Anita- how did you word it in your review?
What Amazon are you posting on?

Certainly on Amazon U.K. the review guidelines read:

“Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review.”

So not saying “in exchange for an honest review” seems to fix it, at least in my case though plenty of reviews still appear with this phrase in it.

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (boingboing) | 16 comments Ironically the two I had were far from glowing reviews. The authors would be more likely to pay me NOT to post them.

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 78 comments all i ever say is "review copy provided by netgalley" - nothing about honest review/nothing about exchange etc

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (violaashford) | 4 comments Hi Karen,

Pleased to see another Australia here. Amazon.au seems to be a bit arbitrary. I thought that one of my reviews was rejected because of the NetGalley disclaimer, but I left it on the last one and it was accepted. They should tell us what is wrong.

message 40: by Stan (new)

Stan Dunn | 5 comments Melissa (LifeFullyBooked) wrote: "Anita wrote: "Just yesterday I tried posting a review for a book on Amazon and I got rejected because they said I received the book for free or at a discount and they are no longer accepting review..."

I thank the author, publisher and (NG, Edelweiss+, LibraryThing) and then I always say "I am voluntarily leaving this review".

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (boingboing) | 16 comments I reposted my previously rejected reviews just saying I had ‘received a copy from the publishers’ and nothing more and they went through, although I didn’t get any notification that they had been accepted.