Play Book Tag discussion

Pachinko
This topic is about Pachinko
August 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4034 comments Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - My Review

Multigenerational family saga set in Korea and Japan covering the period 1910 to 1989. A Korean family operates a boardinghouse in Yeongdo. The daughter, Sunja, gets pregnant, but the of her baby is a gangster and is already married. One of the boarders, a kind-hearted minister, marries her and takes her to his home in Japan. The story revolves around Sunja, her parents, sons, and a grandchild.

This book explores the prejudice experienced by Korean immigrants in Japan. Themes include identity, fate, self-sacrifice, and family secrets. I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Allison Hiroto. She has a pleasant voice and enunciates clearly.

I enjoyed the first half more than the second. At one point, it veers off the main family story to cover a friend’s family in much more detail than expected. There are random scenes of sex and violence that seem unnecessary. Pachinko is a game of chance, and it represents the outcomes in life for the characters – some win but most lose.

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments Joy D wrote: "Pachinko is a game of chance, and it represents the outcomes in life for the characters – some win but most lose."

I feel silly saying this, but I never made the connection 🤣
Derp.

I really loved this book and I also did the audio.

Joy D | 4034 comments Meli wrote: "Joy D wrote: "Pachinko is a game of chance, and it represents the outcomes in life for the characters – some win but most lose."

I feel silly saying this, but I never made the connection 🤣
Derp.

..."

Glad you enjoyed it too, Meli!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pachinko (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lee Min-jin (other topics)