The Sword and Laser discussion

Elysium
This topic is about Elysium
Elysium > ELY: General Discussion (please hide spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) I don't really have a topic but thought we could have a non spoiler general discussion and see where it goes.

message 2: by Lee (last edited Aug 05, 2020 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) first I just wanted to say I really enjoyed this. flew through it. Elysium is the type of book i joined Sword and Laser to read. it had such a thought provoking way to tell a story. I was hooked immediately by the puzzle it posed.

Gary Fisher | 30 comments Here's my very spoilery review. TL:DNR I really liked it, would have liked more information at the end, and the computer pseudo-code kind of drove me nuts:

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1157 comments Mod
Gary wrote: "Here's my very spoilery review. TL:DNR I really liked it, would have liked more information at the end, and the computer pseudo-code kind of drove me nuts:

I got sucked into this book almost immed..."

Brissett was a software engineer at one point but my guess is the code is meant to be decorative. would love to ask her.

Tina (javabird) | 711 comments I didn't get (view spoiler), either. I'm hoping someone will explain it to me.

Trike | 8768 comments Tina wrote: "I didn't get [spoilers removed], either. I'm hoping someone will explain it to me."

Maybe: (view spoiler) Probably not.

Richard Vogel | 234 comments (view spoiler)

Trike | 8768 comments (view spoiler)

Almost certainly reading too much into this.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I'm listening to the audio so I'm a little lost but in a pleasant way. I'm far enough in where I can see there is a pattern emerging.

Also funny - I listen at 1.5x speed so all the code-speak comes across as very aggressive. ONEZERO! ONE! BLEEPBLURPBZZZzzzz

Trike | 8768 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I'm listening to the audio so I'm a little lost but in a pleasant way. I'm far enough in where I can see there is a pattern emerging.

Also funny - I listen at 1.5x speed so all the code-speak come..."

I did, too, and when she speeds up closer to the end it becomes unintentionally humorous.

Matthew (masupert) | 215 comments I am about halfway through at this point. This is a really interesting book. The various vignettes are a pretty new approach, which are interested. I am growing more interested as the book continues but I don't really know where it is going yet. Is the world already gone and these are "flashbacks"? Is it all simulation?

message 12: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Z (alexzealand) | 12 comments I'm about halfway through, and really enjoying it as well. I've coded enough to get a general idea of what's going on in the breaks, but not enough to pick up on inconsistencies like Gary Fisher.

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1603 comments You know, I just had a random thought. I think this story could make a very interesting play. With the actors keeping there named (view spoiler) roles throughout. It would take a lot of choreography, but I think it could be very interestingly done.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Kind of like Greater Tuna where two guys play almost all the roles, only maybe not so comical? https://youtu.be/npFjCWOehvI

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 714 comments I was definitely reminded of Cloud Atlas (the movie) when listening to this book.

message 16: by Trike (last edited Aug 13, 2020 09:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trike | 8768 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Kind of like Greater Tuna where two guys play almost all the roles, only maybe not so comical? https://youtu.be/npFjCWOehvI"

I love the Tuna boys! We rewatch Tuna Christmas every holiday, and we’ve seen both that and Red, White and Tuna on stage. It’s more impressive live because the changes are so smooth.

“Didi‘s Used Weapons: if we cain’t kill it, it’s immortal.”

“Why in the hail would anyone name a cat that big Itty goddamn Bitty?”

“Ah like the way the radio tube lights shine off your bouffant.”

ETA: The OKKK bit - https://youtu.be/DWPJO1Me3yU

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) i was reminded of cloud atlas while listening as well, Ian! another on my TBR I've seen seen the movie when it came out because anything staring Tom Hanks and Haley Berry is a must watch for me. can't help to think the book would explain things better. remember being a little confused watching the movie because I was not used to sci-fi concepts at the time but know that I've read a few S&L pick I can probably understand it better.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Trike wrote: "Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Kind of like Greater Tuna where two guys play almost all the roles, only maybe not so comical? https://youtu.be/npFjCWOehvI"

I love the Tuna boys! We rewatch Tuna Chri..."

I've seen Greater Tuna, and Tuna Christmas. When we saw Tuna Christmas a super old woman stood up in the middle of the first act and said VERY LOUDLY, "What kind of show IS THIS?" and walked out with her husband trailing behind her.

Greater Tuna we saw at a local playhouse, and they did pretty well, but they changed the radio station to OKOK. I was like, what are the racists going to be offended? ....

Trike | 8768 comments 😂

terpkristin | 4193 comments Has anybody attempted to "decode" or translate the 0's and 1's to see if there is some combo where they make sense? I know it's supposed to show a program doing odd things but I was curious if there was anything hidden. If we hadn't launched a satellite yesterday, I probably would but life is a wee bit hectic.

message 21: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4100 comments ^I haven't, but you never know. In "Radio KAOS" by Roger Waters, there's some mellifluous beeping going on in the background of several songs. It's actually Morse Code. I went to the concert in 1988 or so and Waters read some of the decoded words before the start of the second half.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2510 comments terpkristin wrote: "Has anybody attempted to "decode" or translate the 0's and 1's to see if there is some combo where they make sense? I know it's supposed to show a program doing odd things but I was curious if ther..."

Yeah I though of that and Gary, in the Orange County Group, gave it a shot. He concluded that most of the binary code started with the ASCII ± symbol and there did not appear to be any hidden meaning there.

Karen (dythya) | 10 comments I am really enjoying this book. I wondered about the 0's and1's too.

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 507 comments I found the first half of the book super frustrating. The individual chapters are very well written though. You quickly get engaged in the characters' stories but then "boom" (or 00011011 ...) they're gone, to be replaced by similarly named characters in an entirely different situation. Nobody has any agency. Nothing that does happen matters. There's no consistent line through the events.

It picks up half way through when the more conventionally linear story arrives but if it had taken much longer to turn up then I'm not sure I would have persevered.

(And, yes, the code segments in the audiobook were really jarring and unpleasant!)

terpkristin | 4193 comments AndrewP wrote: "Yeah I though of that and Gary, in the Orange County Group, gave it a shot. He concluded that most of the binary code started with the ASCII ± symbol and there did not appear to be any hidden meaning there."

Thanks for the info and thanks, Gary, for looking into it! :D

message 26: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Z (alexzealand) | 12 comments Reading this thread, I suddenly remembered the (view spoiler)

Might or might not be a connection, but feels playfully possible in a dark story that has repeated moments of hope and emotional connection.

I've never hidden a spoiler before, so I hope I did that right...

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1603 comments Yes Alex the spoiler came out correct. And that would be an extremely obscure reference if that was the intent. After reading the link on that page regarding history, I think it’s also possible what influenced that creator, influenced Jennifer Marie Brissett.

message 28: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Z (alexzealand) | 12 comments I reviewed the book on my Twitter for work, and the author responded. She hadn't heard about the podcast... so now she knows:
https://twitter.com/AplAlex/status/12...

Trike | 8768 comments Alex wrote: "I reviewed the book on my Twitter for work, and the author responded. She hadn't heard about the podcast... so now she knows:
https://twitter.com/AplAlex/status/12..."

You called Supreme Laser Tom the Roberator, so now we have a Freaky Friday situation going on here.