Maud
This topic is about Maud
Glam Archives | 2020 > August 2020 | Maud Part 1 *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Librarian Anna ✘ (thelibrariananna) | 49 comments Mod
Happy August beautiful readers!

Let's chat about Part One of our August read, Maud by Melanie J. Fishbane

Spoilers are allowed in this thread so read at your own risk!

What do you think so far? Loving? Hating? Questions?

Marisa (mickeymisa) | 17 comments I just finished part one. I think it’s cute. While Maud’s talking herself out of things and thinking she is at fault for her parents drives me crazy I guess I can see how a teenager would take things to heart. This is a different era then I am used to reading about so it is interesting. It is taking some getting used to how women are put in a sort of box.

Sarah (sareel) | 12 comments Yes! I am struggling with the gender roles and expectations in this time period. Also I have to keep reminding myself that "it's a different time" in regards to her grandparents who seem cruel to me. It is hard to read about someone that seems so tightly confined that they can't make their own decisions and even have to control their thoughts. That being said, I'm a sucker for a love letter and I adore Nate. I'm also excited to see where Maud goes from here with all her ambition.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments I just started to read about Maud on like page 20 and I feel for her very much.

The Librarian Anna ✘ (thelibrariananna) | 49 comments Mod
I love this discussion so far! I am about halfway through Part 1 and since I like historical fiction I'm used to the stricter traditional gender roles but I do find myself bristling a lot when her Grandfather talks about how women shouldn't teach/write/be loud. But it is definitely difficult to not look at this through a modern lens. I am ADORING the sassy budding romance between Maud and Nate and I am just obsessed with the "simpler" pursuits of quilt making, household chores. I always find myself wishing I was able to do those things even though I absolutely love my job outside the home

Sarah (sareel) | 12 comments I don't usually read historical fiction, so that is perhaps why I'm struggling with the roles and expectations . I agree about the quilt-making! I was really thinking about making a quilt and looking at my quilt and wondering how it was made and if that was a hobby I should take up!