Play Book Tag discussion

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl
This topic is about Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl
August 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4195 comments Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl: A Memoir by Carrie Brownstein - 4 stars - My Review

“I’ve always felt unclaimed. This is a story of the ways I created a territory, something more than just an archipelago of identities, something that could steady me, somewhere that I belonged.” – Carrie Brownstein, Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl

Exceptionally well-written memoir about Sleater-Kinney, a three-person cutting-edge indie band from Olympia, Washington, that started in the 1990s. Author Carrie Brownstein is one of the guitarists. The other guitarist is Corin Tucker. They have had a number of drummers whose stories are part of the narrative. The band has no bassist.

I was interested to read more about this band, since I own and listen to their music but was previously unaware of their roots and musical evolution. Brownstein covers her early family life, the band’s formation, songwriting, multiple albums, and tours. It will appeal to those who enjoy books about making music. Fans of Sleater-Kinney, riot grrrl, punk, or indie music will likely enjoy it.

message 2: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments I've had this on my TBR for AGES.
I listened to Sleater-Kinney in high school, and realized later it was named after a road we passed driving to Seattle. Plus Portlandia is much loved/hated show around here.

Joy D | 4195 comments Joi wrote: "I've had this on my TBR for AGES.
I listened to Sleater-Kinney in high school, and realized later it was named after a road we passed driving to Seattle. Plus Portlandia is much loved/hated show a..."

Yes, I was surprised to find out it was named after a street. Back in the days of itunes, I used to sample lots of songs and discovered this band. I knew very little about them other than they were pushing boundaries and I like some of their songs.

Carrie was accepted at an MFA program for non-fiction writing, but never attended. It shows in the writing. This memoir is much better written than most I've read.