The Starless Sea The Starless Sea question

Wasn't a fan of the Night Circus, is there any chance I would like this?
Grace Grace Aug 04, 2020 07:55AM
The Night Circus just didn't really do it for me - I thought Morgernstern's writing was lovely, but the plot was a bit scant and I couldn't get invested in the characters or the romance. But I'm tempted by the sound of this book - I wondered if anybody who felt the same way as me about TNC read this, and what did they think of it?

Thanks, I may give it a try when I've cleared a bit more of my TBR!

Grace wrote: "The Night Circus just didn't really do it for me - I thought Morgernstern's writing was lovely, but the plot was a bit scant and I couldn't get invested in the characters or the romance. But I'm te..."

Ok, personally I enjoyed The Starless Sea more than Night Circus but I know for most people it's the opposite. I loved the characters and the world and that it didn't really feel like a normal fantasy novel, on the contrary, I have a friend who has very similar tastes in books as I do and she was not a huge fan. She didn't like the fact that there isn't really a plot in the traditional sense. I didn't mind that, I loved the world and just wanted to spend as much time as possible in it. If you like myths and old fairy tales, there's a good chance you'll like this book, if you want something more "traditional" in today's version of fantasy then maybe not.

Grace That does actually sound promising, I think you've convinced me! :) ...more
Aug 11, 2020 05:13AM · flag

Personally, I really enjoyed both this and Night Circus, but I will tell you to approach with caution, this book has a very slow plot and it is a bit everywhere. Like you mentioned, it also took me sometime to get invested in the characters here as well. To me it was very abstract and honestly made me feel like I was walking through a mirror maze while impaired. Nontheless, I would still highly recommend reading it, it's a very fun read and was a breath of fresh air, just be wary of the things mentioned earlier. Hope you enjoy!