The HS Book Club discussion

Hello!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (last edited Aug 03, 2020 06:03PM) (new)

Maria (anamfalcao) | 5 comments YALL i have just created a goodreads account and i dont even know how this works but my first instinct when i saw "groups" was searching for harry styles and i am SO glad i have found people who, like me, are obsessed with the man and with books on a level that we search for "hs favourite books" and add them to our list. Anyways, i just wanted to say hi. Oh btw i am currently reading norwegian wood, and has anyone read "in watermelon sugar"? im curious for obvious reasons but i heard many people saying it is not good at all.

message 2: by al ᵕ̈ (new)

al ᵕ̈ (cinemafool) ahh hello! i haven’t read in watermelon sugar yet but i have heard a lot of people say they didn’t like it, as well.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria (anamfalcao) | 5 comments al ‎✿ wrote: "ahh hello! i haven’t read in watermelon sugar yet but i have heard a lot of people say they didn’t like it, as well."

Right! There´s no proof he has ever read it, so i just prefere to ignore it and think that Camille just doesn´t have a really good taste in books.. Or maybe they read it while on hallucinogens, if thats even possible hahah

message 4: by maria jose (new)

maria jose casazza (mjcglz) al ‎✿ wrote: "ahh hello! i haven’t read in watermelon sugar yet but i have heard a lot of people say they didn’t like it, as well."

Maria wrote: "YALL i have just created a goodreads account and i dont even know how this works but my first instinct when i saw "groups" was searching for harry styles and i am SO glad i have found people who, l..."

Hi! Nice to meet you all <3 I've read norwegian wood and it made me feel weird tbh. I'm not entirely comfortable with how Murakami writes his female characters, but ignoring that I did enjoy it and was very emotional for me.

And about Watermelon Sugar yeah.... im gonna ignore it too... (I really don't like her taste in books too haha)

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria (anamfalcao) | 5 comments maria jose wrote: "al ‎✿ wrote: "ahh hello! i haven’t read in watermelon sugar yet but i have heard a lot of people say they didn’t like it, as well."

Maria wrote: "YALL i have just created a goodreads account and i..."

Hello!! And great point on Murakami, it is bothering me so much. I do love his writing in general but this is a flaw in most of his books and in this one.. oh man i wanted to close it so many times. Besides that im am enjoying it although im not a big fan of too dark and emotional books.. so one point for him haha.

message 6: by Val (new)

Val (pieceofbooks) | 3 comments omg hi!! I actually loved Norwegian Wood but I feel the same ab Murakami. I don’t particularly enjoy the way he writes ab his female characters but besides that I think he’s awesome. I didn’t read the ws book but I heard as well that it isn’t pretty good. A book that I got bc of harry that I loved SO much is “the course of love”, If you haven’t already you should give it a try
ps: can anyone recommend me a book ab positivity 💖

message 7: by maria jose (new)

maria jose casazza (mjcglz) Val wrote: "omg hi!! I actually loved Norwegian Wood but I feel the same ab Murakami. I don’t particularly enjoy the way he writes ab his female characters but besides that I think he’s awesome. I didn’t read ..."

I also read The Course of Love! It was really good, if a little boring - because it seemed to me like a psychological relationship advise book (but definitely something I might want to reread later in life, when serious relationships happen for me).

About positivity books, I've heard this one's great (haven't read it myself): Blink The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

message 8: by Val (new)

Val (pieceofbooks) | 3 comments maria jose wrote: "Val wrote: "omg hi!! I actually loved Norwegian Wood but I feel the same ab Murakami. I don’t particularly enjoy the way he writes ab his female characters but besides that I think he’s awesome. I ..."

maria jose wrote: "Val wrote: "omg hi!! I actually loved Norwegian Wood but I feel the same ab Murakami. I don’t particularly enjoy the way he writes ab his female characters but besides that I think he’s awesome. I ..."

yes! I just found "The subtle art of not giving a f*ck" and I think Im gonna start with that one. actually Ive got it from miss kendall jenner (dont know how that happened) but anyways that one really got my atention.

about the course of love.. yes, in some parts it can get a little dull.. I dont particularly enjoy harrys taste in books lol. I think they are good but in general they are all a little bit dense..

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria (anamfalcao) | 5 comments Val wrote: "maria jose wrote: "Val wrote: "omg hi!! I actually loved Norwegian Wood but I feel the same ab Murakami. I don’t particularly enjoy the way he writes ab his female characters but besides that I thi..."
Same!! Hahaha obviously iv been trying to read some of his faves but i feel the same way about his taste in books, even by reading the descreptions of the books we can see how dense they are and im not very interested in these types of narratives.. Still giving it a try tho.
Ps: sorry about my grammar i do not speak english

message 10: by Noel (new)

Noel Wilson | 1 comments I read In Watermelon Sugar - hated the book. Love the Song :).

I just finished reading My Policeman - I really enjoyed this one. I can hardly wait to see the movie!

I read Love is a Mixed Tape (Sheffield) and thought it was good - sad, but good.

Love Is A Dog From Hell by Charles Bukowski is reportedly one of Harry’s favorites. I read it and think Bukowski is an acquired taste - I have a couple more of his on my to read shelf.

There is a book tuber named Jack Edwards that has a video where he reviews books Harry has mentioned, recommended or has been seen reading. Hop over to YouTube and check him out :)