Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Authors > Seeking Beta Readers - Jolly Times on Planet Earth

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 27 comments Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a few beta readers for my newest novel, Jolly Times on Planet Earth. Specifically, I'm looking for general thoughts on the story and characters.

The book is 97,000 words, with humor and fantasy elements, some violence, but no explicit sex scenes or triggers. Thanks in advance!

When bandits burn Belfort Monastery to the ground, killing the monks and tutors within, young Tenya and Dougy are forced to flee, bringing only their paint brushes with them.

Tenya and Dougy, two naive-yet-talented painters, are at the end of their artisanal training. In less than a week they will receive the coveted title of master, and all they have to do is paint the meaning of life in a single frame. Plans change when the monastery is attacked. The children narrowly escape, and with their master dead, they need to find a new mentor to help them finish their assignment.

The world is full of confident adults, and soon Tenya and Dougy are on an adventurous hunt for the meaning of life. They meet pirates, lawmakers, and scholars, and everyone is quick to share their meaning of life. Unfortunately, their interpretations fall short, and Tenya and Dougy are forced to change tactics.

As they forge across the earth, meeting one insane tutor after the other, the children find a mercenary who is hunting the bandits who burned down Belfort Monastery. Tenya wants to go with him, seeking vengeance for their murdered teacher, but Dougy is set on finishing their assignment. Both paths will require sacrifice, and the children must decide what’s truly important.

With satirical humor and a playful inspection of the real world’s flaws, JOLLY TIMES ON PLANET EARTH takes the reader on a journey for not only the meaning of life, but what drives us to create. I believe my novel will appeal to fans of Khaled Hosseini, and Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Hi Matt
What is your timeline and word count? Your book sounds interesting and original, but I am in a little time crunch right now so not sure if I can beta if the deadline is looming.
I am beta reading for others in exchange for a beta read on my book when I am finished it - if that ever happens!
- Kelly

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 27 comments Hi Kelly,

My word count is 97,000, and my deadline is not fixed. Any time within a month or so would be ideal, but I'm being picky.

Are you offering a beta read swap?

Thanks for reaching out!

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Hey Matt -

Sorry to take so long getting back. I think I may have jumped the gun - I really am pressed for time for the next month 1/2 - but I liked the sound of your book so much that I jumped on it.

Yes, I was offering a swap if I ever finish my manuscript...

If you are still wanting an extra beta read around Sept 21st I could do it then. Or if you want to send me a copy I could start reading it with the understanding I can't do the report until end of Sept that would be fine too.

Otherwise, good luck with your book!

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 27 comments I'm totally cool with waiting. If you want to privately message me your email, I can send you the manuscript.

I'll be happy to read your book when it's finished, as well.

Thank you!

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt | 27 comments Shreya wrote: "Matt wrote: "Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a few beta readers for my newest novel, Jolly Times on Planet Earth. Specifically, I'm looking for general thoughts on the story and charact..."

Just messaged you!

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Matt wrote: "I'm totally cool with waiting. If you want to privately message me your email, I can send you the manuscript.

I'll be happy to read your book when it's finished, as well.

Thank you!"

Hey Matt - I pm'ed you my info if you want to send your ms. Thx!