Beta Reader Group discussion

Real American Vampires
This topic is about Real American Vampires
Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Seeking beta reader for a 50k word, novel

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth | 53 comments I am seeking a beta reader for my horror/mystery/sci-fi novel. Yes, you read it correctly, the novel has three different genre mixed together. The novel is similar to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. I have attached a beginning excerpt of my book if you like my style of writing and would like to read the rest of my novel. Email me. Thank you.

HOMECOMING

Where to begin?

I'm sitting here for half an hour in front of a blank computer screen; thinking how to tell my story. A story that is so bizarre that I half expect Stephen King to show up with pen and paper in hand, ready to jot down notes for his next novel.

"Tell me the whole story," he would say. "And don't leave out any juicy parts."

So, here goes nothing.

I guess, you could say it started on that fateful day when I was fourteen, and had to stay home because of the flu. I was sitting in front of the television set, watching Jerry Springer, when suddenly the news came on showing the Twin Towers being hit by two 747 airplanes.

"What's wrong?" I asked my mom who was shellshock and sitting beside me on the couch.

"Your dad," she said in a quivering voice. "He called me this morning on his smartphone: saying he was going to the Twin Towers to fix the plumbing in the bathroom."

We watched the news for the next several days, hoping, praying, that he was all right. Then on the eighth day, we got the news from a police officer that he had died. A crew that was digging around the World Trade Center had found his body under the piles of cement and steel. For the next four years after that, I was angry. I often fantasized about bringing the terrorists to justice. And on my eighteenth birthday, I did exactly what I fantasized about and enlisted into the army.

I went from village to village in Kandahar, looking for terrorists. And on one sunny morning, my unit found them. I could still see a buddy of mine, who was marching several steps ahead of me, had unknowingly stepped on a roadside bomb. And when he lifted up his foot, there was a roar as loud as thunder, and I flew backwards twenty feet, and landed on my back on the side of the road. Bullets came down on all sides like torrential rain.

I yelled, "The fucking mujaheddin are everywhere!"

I sat up and shot several terrorists that were running down the hill toward me. Then, I looked up in the sky, and saw a grenade flying through the air. It landed next to me and when I woke, I found myself lying on a hospital bed, all bandaged up.

"The war is over for you." said a doctor, standing beside my bed.

"What are you talking about?"

Then I felt my leg.

It wasn't there!

Jesus!

I started to cry, "No! No! No!"

A month later, I was sent back home with a purple heart and a prosthetic leg.

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana | 3 comments I'd be happy to be a beta reader for you. I've like what I've read so far and would be willing to help you with some feedback. If you're interested please contact me on ghiurcuta.diana@yahoo.com