IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Book Suggestions > 2020 September

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eswee42, <3 (last edited Aug 03, 2020 08:20AM) (new)

Eswee42 | 78 comments Mod
Hi all!

We are running a poll for the next seven days to choose a theme for September readalong.

You can vote in this tweet or in the IGGPPC Discord #amreading channel (check the pinned posts).

After this week, you can add your suggestions for the chosen theme and we will run another poll to pick a book to read together in September.

Grtz,
Eswee42

message 2: by Eswee42, <3 (last edited Aug 10, 2020 08:13AM) (new)

Hi all!

The theme-poll has ended and it was a tight call! Of the three themes: True Crime, Science and Technology and Travel through space and/or time the winner of the poll is.... *drumroll*

TRAVEL THROUGH SPACE AND TIME!

You can now suggest a read for September. A poll of all suggestions will go up next Monday!

Your suggestion doesn't need to be something published this year, it can be from any time. You can even suggest one that has been suggested before.

Please let us know why you think it should be chosen? It's good to hear people's reasons, we all know some book synopsis don't do them justice. ;-)

::NOTE::
If your book is picked to be our monthly read, we would like your help with being a Discussion Leader by coming up with a few questions for the discussion board! If you don't want to, let us know so we can make some up instead.

Happy reading!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate C | 65 comments Mod
Two suggestions because I couldn't choose! (if there's loads to vote on just pick one / neither of them :-D)

Binti - this is on a few people's challenge lists. It is a novella so it's a short read, I raced through it in an evening and I sometimes find sci-fi books a bit of a slog (love sci-fi films, books less so). Binti is a woman from the Himba people (from Namibia) travelling to university on a different planet, she is a great protagonist and her being so connected to her people and culture back on Earth made the book feel grounded in reality.

The Calculating Stars - another book I loved, an alternate history of what if the space race became a lot more important to save humanity, highly recommended if you enjoyed the film Hidden Figures and want to read about a group of awesome women fighting to be allowed into space. Warning that this one isn't set IN space but is about trying to get there, like Binti it's the first in a series so hope they manage it in the next one!

message 4: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Williams (camper_rhiannon) | 16 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I've never read this, but 'The Tea Master and the Detective' looks like a really interesting sci-fi/space story, with mystery/detective elements! The world-building sounds awesome, set in a universe where "space age has Confucian galactic empires of Vietnamese and Chinese inspiration". The plot premise is: "The Shadow's Child, the brain of a mindship, is shellshocked and brewing teas for safer space travel when a consulting detective shows up at her door..."

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Webber | 9 comments The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley has been on my re-read list for a while. "In a sci-fi reality where humanity is pushed off of the dying planets and onto a fleet of decaying world-ships known as the Legion, one girl has the power of salvation: she can board one of the ships capable of breaking away from all the rest. But When Zan is forced to pick sides in the war for control and survival, she must decide who she can trust, and who she can believe in."

message 6: by Lilith (new)

Lilith Daly (girlintheloo) I’m taking a shot in the dark and putting in a vote for 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

message 7: by Eswee42, <3 (new)

This is going to be an exciting poll!! I already don't know what too choose and am very curious to see which book will end up being our September read.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 7 comments Can I add The Time Traveler's Wife to the pool? Time paradox and romance go so well together.

message 9: by Eswee42, <3 (new)

The suggestions are now closed. A poll (here on Goodreads) will be up soon!