The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)
This topic is about Geekerella
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
★Buddy/Group Read Retirement★ > Geekerella (August 2020) Buddy Read Discussions - Elena & Laura ☾ & HeatherH & Melanie

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (last edited Aug 17, 2020 09:33AM) (new)

Aless (alesstheintrovert) | 533 comments Mod
Welcome to Geekerella Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on August 15th and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group. Any extra days can be used to catch up!

Each day we will be reading by chapters or page numbers. Page numbers are based on the hardcover pages that are on Goodreads. The suggested Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 8/15
August 15: Chapters 1-4

Week of 8/16
August 16: Chapters 5-8
August 17: Chapters 9-12
August 18: Chapters 13-16
August 19: Chapters 17-20
August 20: Chapters 21-24

PARTICIPANTS
~ Elena
~ Laura ☾
~ HeatherH
~ Melanie

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments Through chapter 4

I’m quite enjoying this so far!

message 3: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 599 comments Oops! I forgot about this! I'll start tonight at work!

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments No worries! I've read through to the first eight chapters now!

message 5: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 599 comments So.. apparently this is no longer avail on audible escapes. Through it on hold for my library and says I should have it in the next few days. I may grab the kindle book if it doesn't come up by later today/early tomorrow.

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments Awww okay! No worries

Elena Granger | 135 comments I'm going to start today or tomorrow :)

Melanie | 178 comments May I read this with you? I can read it tomorrow.

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments Of course! Jump on In

Elena Granger | 135 comments Chapter 9
I love how it goest. Cinderella is always a good story for retelling. I believe I never get tired of it.
The setting is nice and I love how they 'met'.

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments Same! Cinderella just lends itself to retellings!

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments Ok I finished it - how are you guys getting on?

message 13: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 599 comments So I'm going through some pretty rough personal stuff right now with a bad break up and moving on short notice and haven't had the right headspace to touch any books for a week now. Not sure I will for at least another week so I'm going to drop out from this and come back to it when I'm able to focus.. So sorry!

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments HeatherH wrote: "So I'm going through some pretty rough personal stuff right now with a bad break up and moving on short notice and haven't had the right headspace to touch any books for a week now. Not sure I will..."

Oh hun! Hope you’re doing alright! If you ever need a chat feel free to reach out!

Melanie | 178 comments @Heather I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having a bad time. I’m rooting for you.

message 16: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 599 comments Thank you both <3

Elena Granger | 135 comments @Heather I'm so sorry to hear that and hope it'll get better for you soon!

Elena Granger | 135 comments I finished the book several days ago but was too busy to update the goodreads.
So some final thoughts: so appealing! I've always been a nerdy, geeky person and was so happy that somebody finally written the geek-ish cinderella retelling.
Very easy and cheerful read.

Laura ☾ | 1000 comments I agree but it was a bit underwhelming for me if I'm honest - I feel like it almost was too focussed on the fandom to really develop the characters as much as they could have been?

Melanie | 178 comments I know Im a bit behind. I just finished today. I was kind of excited to read this because my 3 nieces each read the whole trilogy, and gave it 5-stars across the board. They are Cinderella super fans and have read almost every retelling of this classic tale they can get their hands on. So, I wanted to share this experience with them. I think the setting gave this book some charm, but it still read too young for me. Some of the characters felt to one dimensional and even contrived in a way. But, now that the Cinderella retelling is complete, I am curious about the next 2-books in the trilogy, and might continue.

Elena Granger | 135 comments @Laura I had the same feeling. But I believe for this type of book it's ok. So I don't mind :)

@Melanie Definitely true but again such stories are not supposed to be perfect plot and character-wise. (Btw I'm also too old for such stories yet enjoy sometimes how light, easy and happy they are, nice break in between heavy, loaded books). Obviously not a 5 star (I just can't place this book on one shelf, for ex with The City of Brass or The Way of Kings series).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.