Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

True History of the Kelly Gang
This topic is about True History of the Kelly Gang
Monthly Book Reads > True History Of The Kelly Gang - August 2020

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new) - added it

Darren (dazburns) | 732 comments Mod
In August we will be reading True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey for our Crime category - who's in?

message 2: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments I kind of feel obliged to seen as it’s caused so much hassle for poor Eddie ;-)

message 3: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 44 comments I’m in. I feel obliged too. Australian author and subject dear to some hearts.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Penelope wrote: "I’m in. I feel obliged too. Australian author and subject dear to some hearts."

Penelope, are you Australian? (don't answer if you don't feel comfortable doing so) I only felt so-so about the book, but I don't know if that's because of the style, or I had difficulty putting myself in the time or place. If I'd grown up with Ned Kelly folklore all my life, it might have been different reading the book.

If you are from that area, or close by, I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it.

message 5: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 44 comments Bryan "They call me the Doge" wrote: "Penelope wrote: "I’m in. I feel obliged too. Australian author and subject dear to some hearts."

Penelope, are you Australian? (don't answer if you don't feel comfortable doing so) I only felt so-..."

I am certainly Australian and don't mind you asking at all.
Peter Carey is sometimes difficult and I have DNF a couple of times. To me the best of all are Illywhacker and A Long Way from Home and probably Oscar and Lucinda.
Ned Kelly is always celebrated in Australia but I am nowhere near his birthplace or where the celebrations of his life take part each year. But strangely enough there is a town in Ireland which claims him, or probably the family, as their own. For some reason people love a bushranger. I am giving the book my best shot.

Leslie | 825 comments I have started (about 30% in at the moment). I am liking this book more than I did Oscar and Lucinda... but in the hot weather we are having here (96°F or 36°C), I have been watching a lot of TV instead of reading so I haven't made the progress I normally would have.

Leslie | 825 comments I have finished - I liked this one much better than Oscar and Lucinda...