Challenge Corner discussion

Pride
This topic is about Pride
Let's Buddy! - Contemporary > Pride by Ibi Zoboi --> Starting August 3rd, 2020

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 22538 comments Mod
Zuri Benitez has pride. Brooklyn pride, family pride, and pride in her Afro-Latino roots. But pride might not be enough to save her rapidly gentrifying neighborhood from becoming unrecognizable.

When the wealthy Darcy family moves in across the street, Zuri wants nothing to do with their two teenage sons, even as her older sister, Janae, starts to fall for the charming Ainsley. She especially can’t stand the judgmental and arrogant Darius. Yet as Zuri and Darius are forced to find common ground, their initial dislike shifts into an unexpected understanding.

But with four wild sisters pulling her in different directions, cute boy Warren vying for her attention, and college applications hovering on the horizon, Zuri fights to find her place in Bushwick’s changing landscape, or lose it all.

message 2: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina (ameserole) | 58980 comments Mod
woot woot!

message 3: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

25% (view spoiler)

message 4: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

50% (view spoiler)

message 5: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

75% (view spoiler)

Kelly | 3824 comments I'm going to join in :) I've had this on my tbr for a while now.

message 7: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay!

message 8: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

double yay! I'm just trying to finish my audio of The Name of All Things first. it's a pretty long one, about 25 parts lol. Once I'm done with this, I will dive into this audio.

Kelly | 3824 comments That's a long one ^^. How many hours is it?

message 10: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly wrote: "That's a long one ^^. How many hours is it?"

25 hours and 46 minutes and I'm at 40%

message 11: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That's a long one ^^. How many hours is it?"

25 hours and 46 minutes and I'm at 40%"

Wow, so long!

message 12: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Kelly wrote: "That's a long one ^^. How many hours is it?"

25 hours and 46 minutes and I'm at 40%"

Wow, so long!"

I know right lol. Hoping to finish it today so that I can catch up on my other audios tomorrow

message 13: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

finished (view spoiler)

Kelly | 3824 comments Aly wrote: "25% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Kelly | 3824 comments Aly wrote: "50% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Kelly | 3824 comments Aly wrote: "75%."

(view spoiler)

Kelly | 3824 comments Aly wrote: "finished [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was pleased and I'm glad you liked it too!

message 19: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

so late to this little party but starting it now!

message 20: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

20%: (view spoiler)

message 21: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

57%: (view spoiler)

message 22: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "57%: [spoilers removed]"

No kidding!

message 23: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

80%: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

100%: (view spoiler)

message 25: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina wrote: "100%: [spoilers removed]"

Haha good to know!

Marissa | 1112 comments Chapters 1-7 (view spoiler)

Marissa | 1112 comments Chapters 8-14 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marissa wrote: "Chapters 1-7
(view spoiler)

Same, I haven't read the original but you don't need to to understand this

message 29: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marissa wrote: "Chapters 8-14
(view spoiler)

Yes I agree

message 30: by Marissa (last edited Aug 17, 2020 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marissa | 1112 comments Aly wrote: "Marissa wrote: "Chapters 1-7
[spoilers removed]

Same, I haven't read the original but you don't need to to understand this"

Sometimes I like to see the similarities between a retelling and the classic, but for this one I have no idea. I guess that can be a positive, though, because I don't know what to expect.

Marissa | 1112 comments Chapters 15-23 (view spoiler)
Chapter 24-End (view spoiler)

message 32: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m intrigued to see what you would think of pride and prejudice if you read it... same goes for Aly and Kelly too. It’s one of my favorite books but I can see why people don’t like it at the same time. I just sort of fell in love with Elizabeth’s character and I hope to always feel that way ☺️

message 33: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll see about getting a copy from the library

Marissa | 1112 comments Alaina wrote: "I’m intrigued to see what you would think of pride and prejudice if you read it... same goes for Aly and Kelly too. It’s one of my favorite books but I can see why people don’t like it at the same ..."

I'll add to it my list! It is a classic, so I feel like I really should try reading it.

message 35: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim | 1660 comments Decided to drop in on this one since I saw it was on Kindle Unlimited

message 36: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly wrote: "I'll see about getting a copy from the library"

omg yay!

message 37: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marissa wrote: "Alaina wrote: "I’m intrigued to see what you would think of pride and prejudice if you read it... same goes for Aly and Kelly too. It’s one of my favorite books but I can see why people don’t like ..."

double yay!

message 38: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim wrote: "Decided to drop in on this one since I saw it was on Kindle Unlimited"

wooohoo, I hope you like it!

message 39: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim | 1660 comments 20% (view spoiler)

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim | 1660 comments I loved Pride and Prejudice so it’s hard to not compare when the synopsis sets me up that way.

50% (view spoiler)

message 41: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim | 1660 comments 90% (view spoiler)

message 42: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim | 1660 comments 100% (view spoiler)