Challenge Corner discussion

Spinning Silver
This topic is about Spinning Silver
Let's Buddy! - Fantasy > Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik -> Restarting September 19th, 2020

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina (ameserole) | 59104 comments Mod
Miryem is the daughter and granddaughter of moneylenders, but her father's inability to collect his debts has left his family on the edge of poverty--until Miryem takes matters into her own hands. Hardening her heart, the young woman sets out to claim what is owed and soon gains a reputation for being able to turn silver into gold.

When an ill-advised boast draws the attention of the king of the Staryk--grim fey creatures who seem more ice than flesh--Miryem's fate, and that of two kingdoms, will be forever altered. Set an impossible challenge by the nameless king, Miryem unwittingly spins a web that draws in a peasant girl, Wanda, and the unhappy daughter of a local lord who plots to wed his child to the dashing young tsar.

But Tsar Mirnatius is not what he seems. And the secret he hides threatens to consume the lands of humans and Staryk alike. Torn between deadly choices, Miryem and her two unlikely allies embark on a desperate quest that will take them to the limits of sacrifice, power, and love.

Channeling the vibrant heart of myth and fairy tale, Spinning Silver weaves a multilayered, magical tapestry that readers will want to return to again and again.

message 2: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm a little behind on this but will definitely jump into this book either tonight/tomorrow

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments Me too, though today I'm doing awesome at getting caught up on my reading. I've got to finish The Princess Will Save You first, so it'll count for Book of the Month, and then I'm onto Spinning Silver (and finishing up A Discovery of Witches, The Witches of New York, and The Lost Hero).

message 4: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanie wrote: "Me too, though today I'm doing awesome at getting caught up on my reading. I've got to finish The Princess Will Save You first, so it'll count for Book of the Month, and then I'm on..."

I can’t wait to see your comments for the princess saves you and the witches of New York

message 5: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Starting this now!

message 6: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ch 6: (view spoiler)
Ch 10: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ch 19: (view spoiler)

message 8: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished: (view spoiler)

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments Crap. I've been reading the book (slowly), but I didn't realize I hadn't posted my comments as I went along and now the thread has expired, right? Can I still post? Can we reboot it?

message 10: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanie wrote: "Crap. I've been reading the book (slowly), but I didn't realize I hadn't posted my comments as I went along and now the thread has expired, right? Can I still post? Can we reboot it?"

Yes, I can restart the thread for you ☺️ What day do you want?

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments Alaina wrote: "Deanie wrote: "Crap. I've been reading the book (slowly), but I didn't realize I hadn't posted my comments as I went along and now the thread has expired, right? Can I still post? Can we reboot it?..."

Today is good. I'll have the book finished by tomorrow at the latest. Thanks!

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments 25% (view spoiler)

50% (view spoiler)

75% (view spoiler)

100% (view spoiler)

message 13: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanie wrote: "25% [spoilers removed]

50% [spoilers removed]

75% [spoilers removed]

100% [spoilers removed]"

Comment @25%, yeah the beginning started off a bit slow for me.

message 14: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

50% [spoilers removed]

75% [spoilers removed]

100% [spoilers removed]"

Comment @50%, YES I loved them. It definitely took some time but they were very likable.

message 15: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

50% [spoilers removed]

75% [spoilers removed]

100% [spoilers removed]"

Comment @75%, sucks that things really picked up around this time too because there wasn't much book left.

message 16: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

50% [spoilers removed]

75% [spoilers removed]

100% [spoilers removed]"

Comment @100%, I was so proud! A little bit shocked too because you new know when it comes to loved ones but oh man - it was good!