Addicted to YA discussion

Series > A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5291 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Louie. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going. Look out for comments and questions the discussion leader might make and respond back to them!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Braun | 4 comments I’m about 100 pages in so far. Not sure how I’m feeling about this yet. I’m continuing on though! Can’t wait to discuss with you guys.

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) Erika wrote: "This discussion will be lead by Louie. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going. Look out for comments and questions the discussion leader might make and respond back ..."

Wow! I've just read 20 pages, I'm so exicet because this is the first reading I do in this group. Can't wait to start discussing as well

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma I already read this a couple of months ago and I wasn’t sure to start with, but by the end I loved it.

message 5: by Bri (new)

Bri I absolutely LOVED this book!

message 6: by Mya (new)

Mya arleen This book was amazing it’s one of my top books of the year so far. I can’t wait to read the next book

message 7: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments Looking forward to read this much praised book and share my thoughts with you guys!

message 8: by Louie (new)

Louie | 376 comments Hi, I'm Louie, The Discussion Leader.

I plan on starting this in a few days, I love mysteries so I have high hopes for this!

I'm All Booked Up  YA | 19 comments This was one of our favorite books of 2020 so far! It started a little slow, but there were so many great twists and turns. We loved the ending and can't wait to read Good Girl, Bad Blood.

message 10: by Wormy (new)

Wormy (certifiedkilljoy) I just bought this. I guess I’ll start it after House of Earth and Blood. Haven’t read a book like this in a while.

message 11: by Dalia (new)

Dalia | 285 comments I have a hold on this at the library and I’m excited to get into it

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 11 comments I actually read this book a few months back, and I must say that I really did like it. The book held my interest throughout and had me guessing what was going to happen next.

message 13: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments I listened to this audiobook when it came out and loved it! It's my favorite mystery of the year so far and one of the only books I've rated 5 stars

message 14: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (northwoodsnomad) | 113 comments I am not even 100 pages in yet but already loving this one. As long as the answer to the mystery isn't obvious by the halfway point, this could end up as one of my top books of the year if things continue to build as they are.

This is also my first time participating in a book of the month discussion in this group. I am looking forward to discussions and sharing thoughts with everyone!

message 15: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Justice | 5 comments I've gotten to page 298—I started it before August. I like it but I'm getting eager and worried and a little annoyed. I can't say at what without spoilers, so I'll leave it at that. I just hope it ends well, has a twist.

message 16: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Justice | 5 comments Miranda wrote: "I am not even 100 pages in yet but already loving this one. As long as the answer to the mystery isn't obvious by the halfway point, this could end up as one of my top books of the year if things c..."

My first time too. Hi!

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Braun | 4 comments I won’t give away spoilers, but I finished and I have to say the back 1/4 of the book was a roller coaster. I almost gave up my interest on the book midway but I kept powering through and I am so glad I did. I can’t wait for the rest of you to finish to hear your thoughts. I have many but am waiting!

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bywaters | 9 comments I'm on page 158 (also my first time participating in a book of the month discussion in this group :-D ) and I have to say after reading through the comments I have very similar opinions. At first I was a little leery of it, something didn't quite grab me. But now I'm contemplating staying up all night just to see what happens!

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments Hi all, I just finished the book an oh my, those last few chapters! I really enjoyed it and I had a hard time putting the book down. As some of you mentioned before, I also didn't feel the book in the first few chapters. I think it was, because I didn't really feel the connection between the disappearance of Andy and Pip's motivation. But after 40 pages or so I was hooked :)

message 20: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) Kathryn wrote: "I'm on page 158 (also my first time participating in a book of the month discussion in this group :-D ) and I have to say after reading through the comments I have very similar opinions. At first I..."

The same happend to me, at first everything seemed to go so slow but after a few chapters I can say that is turning so interesting. I've passed all night long reading hahaha

Is also my first time participating in a discussion so I don't no exactly how it works.

message 21: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 8 comments Is this book a series: A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder

Thank you!
~Brandy

message 22: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (thewiltedpetal) I thought that this book was quite interesting. I have read it before and I thought it was really good. It was slow, but then it kinda picked up a bit. If you like One Of Us is Lying, then you will like this book. It actually has been one of the first YA murder mysteries I have ever read so I thought it was great for a first read

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bywaters | 9 comments Elena wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I'm on page 158 (also my first time participating in a book of the month discussion in this group :-D ) and I have to say after reading through the comments I have very similar opin..."

I just have no self control! I had to finish it. :-)

message 24: by Louie (new)

Louie | 376 comments Brandy wrote: "Is this book a series: A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder

Thank you!
~Brandy"

Yes, this is the first book in a planned series. Addicted to YA is going to read the sequel, Good Girl, Bad Blood next month.

message 25: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments Brandy wrote: "Is this book a series: A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder

Thank you!
~Brandy"

There is a sequel and I believe the group is reading it next month for our series BOTM. Unfortunately it is not available as an audiobook yet.

message 26: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 8 comments I am waiting on it from the library! But I l am anxiously waiting for the book to become available and look to the read!

message 27: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 8 comments Yes! I found it and am also waiting on it to become available! Thank you!

message 28: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) OMG someone has to stop me because I'm trying to control myself not to finish this book that fast!! The plot is turning sooo intriguing for me

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments Haha, I completely understand! How far are you or did you finish it? :)

message 30: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (alexisschroeder9) I just started this book last night. Didn’t get very far in last night, but I’ve picked it back up this morning and have been reading since I woke up. I’m a little over 100 pages in. Just stopping for a quick break to get something to eat and then I’ll start reading again.

message 31: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 8 comments I got my copy and am now listening to it!

message 32: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bywaters | 9 comments I can’t wait to read Good Girl Bad Blood. I’m hoping some of the unanswered questions get answered in the next one! (view spoiler)

message 33: by Louie (new)

Louie | 376 comments I finally got to start The Good Girl's Guide To Murder yesterday and I'm really liking it.

My question to everyone is what do you think of the set-up for the story, how it goes in-between Pip's school project, to audio transcripts, to Pip's POV? How do you think this unique way of storytelling adds or detracts to the quality of the book?

message 34: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 8 comments By chapter 17 I was addicted and couldn’t stop! I finally made myself stop at 65%.

message 35: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (northwoodsnomad) | 113 comments Louie wrote: "I finally got to start The Good Girl's Guide To Murder yesterday and I'm really liking it.

My question to everyone is what do you think of the set-up for the story, how it goes in-between Pip's sc..."

The set-up of the story bouncing between Pip's POV and the array of transcripts, notes, etc. was a little off-putting to me at first. I think part of that had to do with switching between third-person during the story/action and first-person for her notes and project. It took some adjusting to, but I think it overall adds a unique way of telling this story.

Having the transcripts, notes, and suspect list added a new dimension that made me feel more invested in the investigation and almost made it feel as though it was purposefully trying to involve the reader in solving the mystery along with her. It also offered nice little reminders when coming back to the book after a break as to who was still on the suspect list and why. Once I adjusted to the set-up, this made it easy to re-immerse myself into the story again after putting it down.

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bywaters | 9 comments Louie wrote: "I finally got to start The Good Girl's Guide To Murder yesterday and I'm really liking it.

My question to everyone is what do you think of the set-up for the story, how it goes in-between Pip's sc..."

I have to say that I really liked it. To me it kept the narrative fresh.

message 37: by Lexa (new)

Lexa (thecatlover) | 2 comments Emma wrote: "I already read this a couple of months ago and I wasn’t sure to start with, but by the end I loved it."

Me too. I liked the person of interest list and how not even knowing how they were involved we still got a concise place to know who was involved somehow. I don't usually read murder mysteries but details like that made me like this book.

message 38: by Lexa (new)

Lexa (thecatlover) | 2 comments Miranda wrote: "Louie wrote: "I finally got to start The Good Girl's Guide To Murder yesterday and I'm really liking it.

My question to everyone is what do you think of the set-up for the story, how it goes in-be..."

One thing I really enjoyed was that Pip didn't give up on Sam like everyone else did. Everyone just believed Sam killed his girlfriend even though he was always a nice person. I liked that Pip didn't overlook his personality when examining the facts. This set the story up for me and kept me interested.

message 39: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) I'm now at 57%, can't wait to read Good girl bad blood next month!! I love Pippa and by now I still haven't discover who Is the assassin of Andie. Anyways, about which is my opinion about Pip's POV I have to say that the narrative for me is very easy and fresh to read... are probably my favourite parts

message 40: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 11 comments Louie wrote: "I finally got to start The Good Girl's Guide To Murder yesterday and I'm really liking it.

I really liked the change between having it be her project to her point of view because it was really nice to see the story with her thoughts and have the information from the story be in report form. I also liked having the suspect list because it showed which character she thought would be the killer and we could see her scratching people off the list and her adding new ones on.

Another thing that I liked with the story is Pip staying loyal to her beliefs. Even when she was at crossroads in many situations she still thought Sam was innocent. Even with suspects she was very cautious to how she got her information.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 13 comments At first, I didn't like the switching between Pip's POV and the project as I was way more interested in the project than in Pip's life (nothing really happened in the first few chapters). However, when Pip's life and the project intertwined, I did like this setup! I really liked to read all Pip's thoughts. She thought of every single suspect I was thinking of and more, but without giving away the solution too soon. Since Pip wrote everything down in her project, I think I felt more connected to her and felt more like solving the case together.

message 42: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) I'm approaching to the end of the book :( Probably is going to be at my top books list from this year.
Anyone's reading as fast as me? I spent the whole morning reading!!

message 43: by Wormy (new)

Wormy (certifiedkilljoy) I just started this yesterday. I'm on page 30. I'm determined to guess who did it because everyone says I won't be able to. Even the book says I can't. >:(

message 44: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) Good luck with that!! I've just finished it and I have to say that for me was impossible to guess who did it :'/

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Braun | 4 comments **Currently sitting on the edge of my seat to discuss the juicy details of the person Pip exposed as who might of done it before we find out who actually did it**

message 46: by Wormy (new)

Wormy (certifiedkilljoy) I am on page 149. I wonder if I can finish 240 pages today. Probably not.

message 47: by Louie (new)

Louie | 376 comments I'm nearly 50% finished and I'm really enjoying it so far! I like how the story is developing as it goes along and the characters.

Which brings me to my questions for everyone, what are your opinions of the characters? Do they seem realistic to you? Do you think Pip could solve a mystery IRL? Who would you want to meet and why?

message 48: by Elena (new)

Elena K (goodreadscomelena_k) For me characters are very well structured and how the writer involves each one with the mystery is really good. Definitely my favourite chapter is Pip, basically because it reminds me of myself sometimes, but If I have to choose another one I would say that Cara is pretty good as well!!

message 49: by Wormy (new)

Wormy (certifiedkilljoy) I successfully guessed half the ending. (view spoiler)
I liked Pip for the most part. Her reaction to the letters was unbelievable. I rated it 4/5

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (Laura's Bookish Banter) (laurasbookishbanter) | 4 comments This was definitely one of the more twisty and hard to predict mysteries I've read. The clues were plotted so perfectly. But I was also somehow bored most of the time?!?

I honestly didn't really like Pip. I didn't believe her as a character (she felt a little inconsistent to me?) and she was too naively reckless sometimes... But Ravi was amazing; I actually wish he played a bigger role.

Also, has anyone read both the British original and Americanized versions? I'm wondering if they're noticeably different (besides obviously being set in two completely different towns).

« previous 1