YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)
This topic is about Changeling
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Changeling (Sorcery and Society #1) by Molly Harper - Starting August 8th 2020

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22812 comments Mod
If 14-year-old Cassandra Reed makes it through her first day at Miss Castwell’s Institute for the Magical Instruction of Young Ladies without anyone discovering her secret, maybe, just maybe, she’ll let herself believe that she really does belong at Miss Castwell’s.

Except Cassandra Reed’s real name is Sarah Smith and up until now, she lived her whole life in the Warren, serving a magical family, the Winters, as all non-magical “Snipes” are bound by magical Guardian law to do. That is, until one day, Sarah accidentally levitates Mrs. Winter’s favorite vase in the parlor...

But Snipes aren’t supposed to have magical powers…and the existence of a magical Snipe threatens the world order dictated during the Guardians’ Restoration years ago. If she wants to keep her family safe and protect her own skin, Sarah must figure out how to fit into posh Guardian society, master her newfound magical powers and discover the truth about how an ordinary girl can become magical.

Elena Granger | 617 comments Chapter 7.
I'd like to learn more about the world. Not enough to the background of Snipes and Guardians. Love the idea of low class becoming upper class. Cinderella vibes here. (view spoiler)

Elena Granger | 617 comments Chapter 11.
I still don't feel her struggle. In some books you can feel how the hero struggles through the tough times but here it feels unnatural and I feel nothing :( (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments 6% (view spoiler)

message 5: by Krystal (last edited Aug 12, 2020 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments 45% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments Elena wrote: "Chapter 11.
I still don't feel her struggle. In some books you can feel how the hero struggles through the tough times but here it feels unnatural and I feel nothing :( [spoilers removed]"

Only at chapter 10 but I do agree that her “struggles” are really simple. I think this book is definitely more middle school. Have you read the The Black Witch Chronicles? Now that’s struggle!

Elena Granger | 617 comments Finished.
The book is pretty good but missed something. I'm definitely not going to re-read it though. I loved the magic schooling idea and the final twist was unexpected which is good. I didn't like the lack of development. There is so much potential to the story. Some lines were really interesting and need the further development (view spoiler) I can feel the hurry author was in writing this book. With proper development it could have been a 3-4 star book.

Elena Granger | 617 comments @Krystal A agree that it was definitely fun to read but too simple. I haven't read The Black Witch Chronicles yet and I'm going to read it at some point, already bought the first book :D

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments 60% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments Elena wrote: "@Krystal A agree that it was definitely fun to read but too simple. I haven't read The Black Witch Chronicles yet and I'm going to read it at some point, already bought the first book :D"

I think you will love it!! I’m on the third one, though haven’t started it yet.

Elena Granger | 617 comments @Krystal
Oh you'll be surprised later (related to the book).
As for The Black Witch Chronicles I hope it would be a great series. Because I really love the description :D

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments 76% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4319 comments Elena wrote: "Finished.
The book is pretty good but missed something. I'm definitely not going to re-read it though. I loved the magic schooling idea and the final twist was unexpected which is good. I didn't li..."

Yes! Saying it was a hurry is a perfect description.

Elena Granger | 617 comments @Krystal
Great read though! I'm happy we've ended on the same note :D