August 2020 Mozambique > Second half

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
Final thoughts

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
A sleepless night resulted in me finishing this. This book is a prime example of why I started this bookclub: I had virtually no idea about this, never thought about polygamy, not knew much about Mozambique (the book and Isa's comment sent me down a google rabbit hole), but reading this book filled in a previous empty spot on the map for me and also made me think a lot about women's roles and the perception of them from the outside as well as how they perceive themselves within their society. Also reminded me to not judge with my perceptions of my European white upbringing. Always good to be reminded of this.

message 3: by Britta (last edited Aug 19, 2020 12:05AM) (new)

Britta Böhler | 51 comments Like you said, Mel, without this bookclub, I would have never come across this book. And it was such an interesting read (googled a lot as well...), and I also learned something about a society that I didn't know anything about.

I felt that the language was sometimes a bit 'wooden' but that might have been the translation.

message 4: by Isa (last edited Aug 18, 2020 02:21PM) (new)

Isa (isoliva) | 12 comments I read the original, and I'm glad i did it. Although it isn't an amusing theme, the language was so ironic and sometimes so hilarius, the way they express a negative situation with a positive sentence. When i lived in Lisbon I had some mozambican, angolan friends. Reading this book made me think so much about that time and that way of speaking.
A friend of mine, that came always too late to every meeting, used to say: 'Ok, ok I'm punctualy too late!
Although I enjoyed the book, it wasn't easy to read the women speaking of them selves always in relation to a man. But that is a reality, and not an unsual one.

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieemonaghan) | 59 comments I am really glad I read this. It was really stimulating, every couple of pages my thoughts were sparked off on a different tangent or I was Googling something new (seems this is a very Googlable book all round, huh). I definitely think it warrants a re-read at some stage, for me, as there is a lot I probably didn’t absorb first time round.

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace | 53 comments I really enjoyed the perspective the author gave us. It felt like we were in Rami’s head and knew she was a schemer but yet she held back from fully revealing herself to us same as Tony. Love how she maneuvered him and finally was able to get out of an unbearable situation like all of the wives. It is definitely a perspective I have never read before as with a country I haven’t visited in books.

Also agree sometimes the translation may have felt a little stiff (?) if that’s the right word for it but so happy for this book club for introducing me to books like this. There is so much to think and talk about after reading it. I would rate this 3.5 stars.