What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Won't Somebody Play with Me?
This topic is about Won't Somebody Play with Me?
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Picture book, it's a girl's birthday and she's going around to her friends apartments, but they can't come over so she imagines all the stuff she'd do to them. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Bobisuthi | 5 comments It's a picture book, she's going to her friends apartments and asking them to come over or come out and play, but they can't/won't. So she's imagining all the terrible stuff she'd do to them if it was their birthday or if they wanted to play with her, etc. Planning revenge. She's really upset, but it turns out they couldn't play because they were planning a surprise birthday party for her. I read it in the 90's, it had a great art style with tons of detail and things going on in every page. Trying to figure out so I can read it with my nieces and nephews.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19590 comments Strawberry Shortcake and the Birthday Surprise?

Was she definitely a human girl, not an animal?

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Bobisuthi | 5 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Strawberry Shortcake and the Birthday Surprise?

Was she definitely a human girl, not an animal?"

Yes, definitely a human girl. She may have been carrying a teddy bear or stuffed toy though. Not positive on that front.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19590 comments And it's not the book I linked above?

It sounds similar. She plots revenge before being greeted with a surprise party.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Bobisuthi | 5 comments No, it definitely wasn't Strawberry Shortcake. I think at one point she imagined locking one of her friends up in a cage while she wore a crown and ate cake or cookies? And they had to watch but couldn't eat any, etc.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19590 comments Might want to check the Children's Books about Birthdays list.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Bobisuthi | 5 comments Ayshe wrote: "Won't Somebody Play with Me? maybe?"

That's it! Thank you so much! It's been driving me crazy that I couldn't remember it! Ordering a copy now.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Bobisuthi | 5 comments The book is Won't Somebody Play With Me? by Steven Kellog. It's really great, and something that basically everyone can relate to.