Play Book Tag discussion

The Genius of Birds
This topic is about The Genius of Birds
July 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4042 comments The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman - 4 stars - My Review

Everything you ever wanted to know about birds, and more! The author has compiled research from many sources to convey the capabilities and talents of a wide variety of bird species. In addition to the scientific studies, Ackerman includes anecdotes, current speculations, and a bit of humor. It is logically arranged and flows smoothly. The author’s love of birds shines through.

Highlights include:
- Birds with a preference for certain colors and art types
- The ability to remember where they cached food supplies, even months later
- Vocalization and songs as a form of bird communication
- Birds making and using tools, and teaching their young to do so
- Gift-giving
- Recognition of facial expressions

It requires a strong interest in science, animal intelligence, ornithology, or ecology to fully appreciate it, as there is an enormous amount of information imparted in a somewhat technical manner. Ackerman recounts many experiments – the setup, controls, and results. I listened to the audiobook, read by Margaret Strom. Her voice has a pleasing tone and she reads well.

On a personal note, I have a water feature in my backyard and always look forward to the spring, when I can reactivate it after the snowy season. I watch the many varieties of birds (finches, cardinals, jays, robins, doves, sparrows, chickadees, and even quail) that come to drink, bathe, or play. It is one of the small joys of my year.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Aug 01, 2020 12:28PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7994 comments This sounds like a very nice read Joy! I have had a a brilliant Red Cardinal in the tree outside my window, every evening about 6PM all summer long. And, this little bird sings his heart out every night, for my pleasure.

Joy D | 4042 comments Joanne wrote: "This sounds like a very nice read Joy! I have had a a brilliant Red Cardinal in the tree outside my window, every evening about 6PM all summer long. And, this little bird sings his heart out every ..."
Sounds like a little daily treat! I just love watching the birds. My cats do too - they are inside cats but they watch the birds for hours - it's like having "Cat TV" lol.

Jgrace | 2974 comments I enjoyed this one, too. She has another one that I'd like to read.

The Bird Way: a new look at how birds talk, work, play, parent, and think

My daily entertainment requires me to keep three hummingbird feeders topped up. They fascinate me.

Joy D | 4042 comments Jgrace wrote: "I enjoyed this one, too. She has another one that I'd like to read.

The Bird Way: a new look at how birds talk, work, play, parent, and think..."

That one sounds interesting too. I have not tried any feeders....yet.