Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The City of Brass
Daevabad Trilogy > Daevabad Trilogy #1: The City of Brass--Finished Reading (Spoilers OK)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 889 comments Mod
Have you finished reading The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty, book 1 in the Daevabad Trilogy? What did you think?

Spoilers OK.

Kevin | 49 comments Just finished the book and found it to be very enjoyable. I really liked the characters and their development throughout the book... I think she really nailed the ending... what is going to happen to Ali? How much worse can the political situation get? I am looking forward to the next book.

message 3: by Leanne (new) - added it

Leanne (leanney) | 4 comments Just finished it. I can't say I loved it. The middle of the book dragged a fair bit, though it got more interesting at the end. But the whole plot just revolves around so much hatred. Even characters who I think the author intended to be likeable, like Ali and Nisreen, really rubbed me the wrong way a lot of the time due to their prejudices. I think I like my fantasy to be a bit more escapist and not quite so unceasingly depressing and violent. But, it was well written and the ending intriguing enough for me to stick around and read the next book.

John | 137 comments I enjoyed it. Chakraborty is a very solid writer, and I thought this was particularly impressive as a debut. There were some pacing issues, but overall I found it a good read.

I know what Leanne means about the characters not always being likable, but they worked all right for me. I thought she set up our two main characters well enough to get through. For instance, Ali is sympathetic from the beginning to me because we see his kind heart as he tries to help the shafit. So even when we see another side to him that's less appealing, he's got some capital in the bank with me.

But I also have a pretty high tolerance for depressing and violent, I guess.

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 45 comments After the slow beginning, the middle was consistently engaging and the climax was great too. The characters, with the exception of Dara, were well developed and believable. The world-building was solid for the unique setting. There were way too many unanswered questions, though, which is disappointing, even though it’s the first book in a series. Here are some of those questions.

In Chapter 6, Ali and Muntadhir see a painting of Suleiman ostensibly repair itself. What's the deal here?

In Chapter 11, Khayzur says to Dara that he and the djinn don't understand about the peris' "role". He then says Daevabad doesn't want Nahri, implying that they want Dara instead. Do we have any idea what he means by either of these statements?

Are we sure whether Nahri is daeva or shafit? Everyone says she's Daeva, but in Chapter 18 she lists a few ways she feels like a shafit. Also relevant here, why does Nahri look like a daeva only to the King?

In Chapter 21, Nahri and Ali found a scroll in an unknown language that was supposed to have information about the Egyptian marid. Ali was going to find a scholar to translate it. Did anything ever come of this?

As mentioned in Chapter 21, Dara's relic is down in the tomb under the lake. Does this  have any relevance to him now that he has already been a slave, but was freed?

It's said nobody knows anything about Nahri's father. Any guesses/hints? I guess it might come up in the sequels.

Do we have any ideas about the mysteries of Dara's body? Why has he been able to live so long and why can't Nahri sense him?

In Chapter 21 Ali explains that "a djinn has to be killed to be made into a slave. The curse binds the soul, not the body." If this is the case, what body do they work with, or do they just not need one due to their expanded magical powers?

In Chapter 25, what is the significance of Dara's ring glowing?

message 6: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Oct 23, 2021 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 889 comments Mod
I didn’t read The City of Brass with this group but am now reading it with a different group, so I thought I’d come back and see what our group members thought about it.

I rated it 4 stars—there was a lot to like—the non-traditional fantasy setting, the number of non-typical beings/races, the political and religious intrigue and conflicts, the touch of romance. But I agree that there were a lot of unanswered questions—and not just the ones Ryan raised—like what is the significance of Dara’s ring vs. the relic amulet in the crypt? Obviously, Ali was possessed by something after falling in the lake (a marid?)—Is he now unpossessed?

I also thought the reader gets overloaded with information without adequate explanation during the first part of the book, and some shifts in characters’ personalities or behaviors didn’t seem well-supported by the circumstances. Even with knowing this is the first book of a trilogy, I thought a few too many questions were left unanswered.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The City of Brass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

S.A. Chakraborty (other topics)