#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Reading Updates > August Classics TBR

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gia (new)

Gia What classics are you hoping to read in August?

I'm planning on reading Anne of the Island, Winnie the Pooh, Treasure Island, A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie, and the last two books of the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary: Ramona Quimby Age 8 & Ramona Forever :)

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments My list is long for me, but I am hoping to finish Persuasion, then read Anne of the Island, Winnie the Pooh, The Blue Castle, and Alice in Wonderland, A Murder is Announced, Sense and Sensibility. For me, there is no way I would be able to read all these books, but I like to have a list I can look at. :)

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaxsanz) | 5 comments Mine is also quite ambitious, but I'd like to finish Anna Karenina and read A room with a view, The great Gatsby, Mrs. Dalloway and David Copperfield (or at least read a good chunk of it)

message 4: by Diya (new)

Diya (dibibliophile) | 6 comments I'm planning to read all the Austen's book and if I have a luck to get anna karenina I'd love to read it

message 5: by Rebeca (new)

Rebeca  (beckaval3) | 5 comments I want to finish reading my re-read of Emma, then finally start to read for the first time Sense & Sensibility and Mansfield Park which are both Austen novels as well, plus I hope to get to Persuasion in the end of my reading and re-reading Austen’s complete novels before the end of the month if not at least by the end of the year, while also reading other books in between...

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments Andrea wrote: "Mine is also quite ambitious, but I'd like to finish Anna Karenina and read A room with a view, The great Gatsby, Mrs. Dalloway and David Copperfield (or at least read a good chunk of it)"

Someday I want to read A Room With A View, The Great Gatsby and Mrs. Dalloway :)

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments Rebeca wrote: "I want to finish reading my re-read of Emma, then finally start to read for the first time Sense & Sensibility and Mansfield Park which are both Austen novels as well, plus I hope to get to Persuas..."

I have never read Emma or Mansfield Park but hope to before this year is over. :)

Iya (iyasbookstack) (iyasbookstack) My TBR is a long one and one which might extend across September.

I am currently reading The Count Of Monte Cristo and A Tale Of Two Cities after which I tend to complete Dracula and start with Les Miserables towards the middle of August.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  Jacobson | 181 comments Wow Monte Cristo and Les Mis in a few months!! I read ales Mis with a group last year over 6 weeks. It’s amazing!! I’m also reading Count very slow (5 chapters a week) so it’ll take 5 or 6 months. It’s weird to read that slow because I put it off and then have to rush to catch up! Everything else is my priority when I pick something up to read.

I’m also reading War & Peace and David Copperfield slowly. Also some of Dickens short stories. I think the rest of the month will be finally getting to some more biographies/essays and more modern books (Circe, Wendell Berry....) I’ve been wanting to read

Flipping The Pages (flippingthepages_) | 1 comments I’m hoping to finish reading The Great Gatsby, and read Jane Eyre, Beloved by Toni Morrison, Dracula, and Northanger Abbey.

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 28 comments I am hoping to read Washington Square by Henry James, The Great Gatsby, Mrs Dalloway and The Age of Innocence! I’ve already been able to read Prometheus Unbound by Percy Shelley!

message 12: by Barry (new)

Barry Cunningham (cunningba) | 34 comments Finally finishing The Tale of Genji. Rereading The Iliad and The Odyssey. This time in the Fagles’ translation.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Shelley (ekshelley) | 17 comments I’ll be reading a science-fiction classic that was published in 1959, A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter Miller. If my crazy month allows for it, I may read something light and fun. Maybe some Wodehouse?

message 14: by Shreya (new)

Shreya Ganguly | 13 comments I am vehemently passionate about literature and I have a tendency to create ambitious TBRs even if I never read the books I plan to. In August, I would like to finish A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, which I am currently reading. I finished Emily of New Moon by Lucy Maud Montgomery yesterday. I hope to read Othello by William Shakespeare, Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery, Love and Friendship by Jane Austen, The Golden Road by Lucy Maud Montgomery, and Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. I would like to start Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert and finish David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, which I have been reading for months.

message 15: by Diya (new)

Diya (dibibliophile) | 6 comments hello friends sorry this is not about the topic but I actually don't really know about TBR and search it alot but I don't know how to go with it and get to the community Is that true I can't go in it if Iam not being a youtuber or I really want to know about that can anyone tell me about that please ? again sorry about that

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments Flipping The Pages wrote: "I’m hoping to finish reading The Great Gatsby, and read Jane Eyre, Beloved by Toni Morrison, Dracula, and Northanger Abbey."

I have The Great Gatsby on my TBR list (not sure when I will read it) and I read Northanger Abbey for the first time this year and enjoyed it, but it's not my favorite Jane Austen novel.

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments allieereads wrote: "I am hoping to read Washington Square by Henry James, The Great Gatsby, Mrs Dalloway and The Age of Innocence! I’ve already been able to read Prometheus Unbound by Percy Shelley!"

I have The Great Gatsby, Mrs. Dalloway and The Age of Innocence on my TBR future list. :)

message 18: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments Freya wrote: "If I find time, I'll probably try to finish off the Anne Of Green Gables series. I have Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside left to read."

I am reading Anne of the Island now. :) I can't remember how many times I have reread this series <3

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice | 193 comments Shreya wrote: "I am vehemently passionate about literature and I have a tendency to create ambitious TBRs even if I never read the books I plan to. In August, I would like to finish A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Be..."

My TBR library list and TBR Goodreads list is enormous and growing daily!!! I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and absolutely loved it. <3 I definitely will be rereading it many times. I'm reading Anne of the Island right now. :) I've never heard of The Golden Road, pretty sure it will be added to my TBR list. I also want to read Love and Friendship someday. :)

message 20: by Gia (last edited Aug 11, 2020 06:29AM) (new)

Gia Dibibliophile wrote: "hello friends sorry this is not about the topic but I actually don't really know about TBR and search it alot but I don't know how to go with it and get to the community Is that true I can't go in ..."

Hello there! Thank you for reaching out. I'd like to try to help you but I don't quite understand your question. Could you please clarify? I'm happy to try to help any way I can.

message 21: by Diya (new)

Diya (dibibliophile) | 6 comments oh it's very kind of you Gia actually I knew about TBR on YouTube since then I started to do alot of research about TBR but still can't get it even I'm joining group's here on goodreads clearly I want to be just like those booktubers on YouTube and get in to that schedule to follow even if Iam not going to be a youtuber is that possible? I want a group and have a book list then follow the plan together then discuss the book's together .

message 22: by Gia (last edited Aug 11, 2020 09:20AM) (new)

Gia Dibibliophile wrote: "oh it's very kind of you Gia actually I knew about TBR on YouTube since then I started to do alot of research about TBR but still can't get it even I'm joining group's here on goodreads clearly I w..."

Ah, I see now! Thank you so much for the clarification. Gosh, I sure don't know. But I do know there is a thread here in this group called "Booktube Corner." Maybe consider asking your question over there to those folks who currently host their own book youtube channels. Hopefully someone will know the answer to your question. All the best!

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (freshparchment16) | 15 comments I just read Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery and am hoping to read Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence this month, too.

message 24: by Diya (new)

Diya (dibibliophile) | 6 comments thank you so much Gia

message 25: by Gia (new)

Gia Dibibliophile wrote: "thank you so much Gia"

You're so welcome! :)

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (goodreadscomrumbelle517) | 38 comments So far, I have read My Cousin Rachel. Currently reading A Doll's House playwright Henrik Ibsen. Had the urge to start Brothers Karamazov.

message 27: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Hassan | 3 comments I'm hoping to read "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut, and "Journey's End" by RC Sherriff. I've already read "Sanshirō" by Natsume Sōseki this month, which was my first Asian classic!

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (fig_and_thistle_books) | 2 comments I'm rereading The Count of Monte Cristo

message 29: by Cedricsmom (new)

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 75 comments I’ve been led astray by nonfiction this month and it hasn’t been particularly fulfilling 😓 I’m currently reading a 20th century classic titled Justine by Lawrence Durrell. I will be glad when it’s over.

message 30: by Cedricsmom (new)

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 75 comments Oh! I read the Great Gatsby a month ago. I was underwhelmed but the prose was lovely.