Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Karly’s July 2020

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Hello! Not a bad July here. I’m working on a Yoga Teacher Training course so you’ll see a few yoga philosophy books on the list this month.

Until The End of Time: Mind, Matter, and Our Search for Meaning in an Evolving Universe - Brian Greene. 3 stars. Was a little disappointed with this - he’s a favorite science writer of mine but this wasn’t, in my opinion, of the same caliber as his previous books. Still had some good parts though.

The Breakdown - B.A. Paris. 4 stars. Even though I guessed the ending almost right away, it was still entertaining, and a quick, fun read.

On the Street Where You Live - Mary Higgins Clark. 4 stars. Working on some tbr’s that have been on the shelf for years. This one takes place in a NJ beach town I go to as well, so that added to my enjoyment here.

Myths of the Asanas: The Stories at the Heart of the Yoga Tradition - Alanna Kaivalya. 4 stars. The author is my yoga teacher training instructor, and she has a ph.d. In mythology, which made this pretty fascinating to read.

Sacred Sound: Discovering the Myth and Meaning of Mantra and Kirtan - Alanna Kaivalya. 3 stars.

The Bhagavad Gita - Eknath Easwaran (translator). 3 stars.

Modern Romance - Aziz Ansari. 4 stars. This book is actually the culmination of scientific research he and a sociologist did together on this topic. Much more substance than your average comedian’s book.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling. 3 stars.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments Good month!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14688 comments Nice mix Karly! I would not have expected scientific research to factor in a comedian's book. I may have to check out Modern Romance
Good luck with your yoga course; I have found yoga to be a sanity saver on many occasions. :)

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 450 comments Mary Higgins Clark was a must read author for me years and years ago. Not sure all the titles I read now though as that was before I was on Goodreads and had shelves.

message 5: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Thanks all!!

Thanks for the luck Ann! It’s been enjoyable and definitely something thats helping keep me sane too! And yes - I was pleasantly surprised with Modern Romance, and would recommend.

Bonnie - MHC was always a favorite of mine when I was younger - something comforting about her books!

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2696 comments Always nice to read a book written by someone you know personally.

message 7: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Very true Dan!