Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Chance at Love
This topic is about A Chance at Love
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM 2 - September 2020 - A Chance At Love

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4096 comments Mod
Discussion thread for the Second BOTM of September 2020. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

A Chance at Love by Beverly Jenkins
A Chance at Love
by Beverly Jenkins

Loreli Winters never imagined she'd end up a "mail-order bride" in middle-of-nowhere Kansas -- until the two adorable orphan nieces of a dusky dream named Jake Reed beg her to be their new "mama." And one look at the dark, devastatingly handsome man is enough to entice her to abandon her California plans and stay put for a while in this one-horse frontier town.

Strong, sensible Jake was hoping for a wife to help him raise his girls, but Loreli may be more than he can handle. He can't stop wondering what it would be like to hold the fiery enchantress close and kiss her deeply. Surely he could never compete with the sophisticated gents she has known, yet he intends to try. But will his honest passion be enough to take a chance on a long-shot called love?

Mariana | 2285 comments My library has 21 books by Beverly Jenkins, but this is not one of them. Not sure if I will join in and read this one or not.

Shaz | 773 comments I have just bought this book from my I phone. So will be joining in this read.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2036 comments Darbella wrote: "Welp, I am not sure this fits the hero is a virgin trope unless the definition of a virgin is you are one until you are good at sex even though you have had sex with more than one person? [spoilers..."

Oh dear. Not another book that doesn't fit the trope. This happened a couple of months ago, I think. Darn it.

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh no, and in a month where other books were thrown out due to not meeting the trope, Sorry! I should have checked into this one more.

message 6: by Jultri (new)

Jultri | 407 comments Darbella wrote: "Welp, I am not sure this fits the hero is a virgin trope unless the definition of a virgin is you are one until you are good at sex even though you have had sex with more than one person? [spoilers..."

Yikes, both to his many distasteful sexual conquests and the fact that this book doesn't fit the trope. Is it possible to disqualify this one and pick the 3rd placed book? Would you mind, Darbella, since you have started it already? And Shaz, do you mind or can you get a refund? What say you, Joanna and co-mods?

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don’t know. Considering that some order hard copies in that lead up to the reading month, I think it’s too late to change. I would support a buddy read of one that fits the theme better or maybe a third BOTM. Second place finisher in the first poll was Virtuous Scoundrel, which does have an audiobook, but I think many have read it already. Second place finisher in the second poll was the The Virgin and the Viscount, which I don’t think as many have read.

Looking through lists and tags, this book is featured on two lists with virgin hero and one celibate/inexperienced list. The top review has it tagged as virgin heroes and several reviews mentioned sexual inexperience. Short of getting in the book or asking someone that has read it, it would be difficult to tell. I have gotten into the book now and searched for some key words, like virgin, and agree that it doesn’t match the theme. Darbella - I trusted what you found, just thought I would see if there was further context like other types of releases.

I still want to read this book as well. I will check to see if Priya or Sam has preferences. Another option could be to make this a buddy read instead.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darbella wrote: "Inexperienced at being good at it for the women he had sex with. Yes. Virgin--no. The hero is 37. [spoilers removed]
Anyways, that is why I asked. Maybe a new PC definition of what a virgin means i..."

Yea, definitely not. LOL. We did have some confusion in the nomination thread between virgin v. celibate so maybe that's where the confusion sets in. I don't know.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2036 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Oh no, and in a month where other books were thrown out due to not meeting the trope, Sorry! I should have checked into this one more."

Not your fault Joanna. It's often difficult to glean detailed info about a book without having read it. Sometimes books are incorrectly on lists of a certain trope they don't actually fit, which can complicate things too.

I hadn't ordered this one yet, but I don't think I will join this read now anyway. But IMO it's too late to change the BOTM. I think leave it as is, and whoever wants to can still join in and discuss the book on its merits.

message 10: by Jultri (new)

Jultri | 407 comments Darbella wrote: "Yeah these trope misses are not really anybody's fault. This book, for all the votes it got- only appears to just have Shaz, Joanna, and I actually reading/planning on reading it this month so far...."

Glad you enjoyed it, Darbella. It's not really a trope I'm keen on, so I wasn't planning to read any of the BOTMs this month not to mention I'm not in a position to commit to any group reads currently as I'm too slow. People nominate books with the best of intentions, I'm sure, and I support whatever decision the mods decide on. I guess the main thing is not so much the topic, but more that it encourages participation and lively discussions.

message 11: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 773 comments I will be reading this book anyway. So if you want to pick another that’s fine by me. Glad you enjoyed it Darbella. I did like the last book I read of BJ. So hopefully I will like this one.

message 12: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz wrote: "I will be reading this book anyway. So if you want to pick another that’s fine by me. Glad you enjoyed it Darbella. I did like the last book I read of BJ. So hopefully I will like this one."

Me too Shaz. I've only read one by her but enjoyed it.

message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Sep 04, 2020 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I don’t know. Considering that some order hard copies in that lead up to the reading month, I think it’s too late to change. I would support a buddy read of one that fits the theme better or maybe ..."

I do want to follow up on this that we will keep this as a BOTM, but I will post in the Buddy Read thread that we can host a buddy read for another that fits the trope. After looking at indications on the The Virgin and the Viscount, it doesn't appear to match the trope. I have not gotten into the book and looked though, not sure if I have access to it. So I will suggest Virtuous Scoundrel as the potential buddy read. Also Libby's London Merchant got third in both polls so that may be an option.

message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am through Chapter 5 on this so far. I am enjoying it. I really like Loreli. I am taking my time reading, mostly because I am just not reading much. I do find when I start a chapter I want to finish it in the setting, even though they are on the longer side. I usually have trouble with longer chapters so that's a good sign for me. I like Jenkins style, having only read one book by her. She brings a lot of history into her writing but it doesn't feel heavy. It feels appropriately detailed and considerate.

Part of the reason why I wanted to read this specific Jenkins book is because it takes place in Kansas. The town of Hanks is not real, I don't believe. But it must be not too far from Lawrence, which would make sense, since it was a notable city of that time.

Mariana | 2285 comments I started this on Saturday. I am through chapter 9.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 773 comments Just starting to read it today. Liking the Twins, sounds like they are going to be full of mischief.

Mariana | 2285 comments Shaz wrote: "Just starting to read it today. Liking the Twins, sounds like they are going to be full of mischief."

Yes, I don't always like children characters in HR, but I think these two are a delight.

Mariana | 2285 comments I finished. This was my first book by the author. I definitely plan to read more. The story was surprising and enjoyable. I do have some complaints about some of the characters though.

message 19: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 773 comments I have been enjoying this story. I like both Jake and Loreli. This is my second book by BJ will defo be looking into reading more of her books.

message 20: by Patti (last edited Sep 20, 2020 02:49AM) (new)

Patti | 58 comments I finished. I wish I could say I liked it more because I know there is not enough representation by and about POC in HR, but I just found the writing style lacking in depth. I will say I enjoyed it well enough until the arrival of the villain (although I did have minor issues with other plot points), which turned into a ridiculous subplot.

MAJOR SPOILER (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2285 comments Patti wrote: "I finished. I wish I could say I liked it more because I know there is not enough representation by and about POC in HR, but I just found the writing style lacking in depth. I will say I enjoyed it..."

Regarding your spoiler, right! That is one of my complaints. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Patti (new)

Patti | 58 comments Mariana wrote: "Patti wrote: "I finished. I wish I could say I liked it more because I know there is not enough representation by and about POC in HR, but I just found the writing style lacking in depth. I will sa..."

Yes, exactly!

message 23: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am going so slow...I'm in chapter 8...I like the book, but I'm just not reading much.

I like the historical context, clearly well researched.

I also liked affirming what skills a woman needs...(view spoiler)

Mariana | 2285 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I am going so slow...I'm in chapter 8...I like the book, but I'm just not reading much.

I also liked affirming what skills a woman needs....."

Yeah, it's so hard to fathom people thinking in that time that girls didn't need to know because they would always have a man. Makes little sense. Obviously Jake learned to cook since he didn't always have a woman. Why couldn't it be the reverse?

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I am going so slow...I'm in chapter 8...I like the book, but I'm just not reading much.

I also liked affirmin..."

Yea, it just makes sense...that's why I don't find attitudes like this a stretch for the time. I think they probably had more common sense than we typically do.

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm through Chapter 11, starting to focus more on it. I hope to finish by the end of the month.

One thing I've noted is that it seems like many readers think Jake wanted to marry Rebecca (unless some other woman comes along?)...I'm not getting that vibe...I feel like he thought Rebecca was convenient (neighbor, unattached, hard working) but he doesn't seem to like her all that much. Am I missing something?

...this is what I get for reading reviews ahead of time...

Mariana | 2285 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I'm through Chapter 11, starting to focus more on it. I hope to finish by the end of the month.

One thing I've noted is that it seems like many readers think Jake wanted to marry Rebecca (unless s..."

He certainly got her hopes up. I think he may have planned to marry her before his sister passed away but procrastinated when she was not good with the twins.

message 28: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I'm through Chapter 11, starting to focus more on it. I hope to finish by the end of the month.

One thing I've noted is that it seems like many readers think Jake want..."

Yes, he does that. Would have bothered me more if there weren’t other redeeming female characters. I don’t get the impression he was ever remotely in love with her though.

You’re a bit of a sly dog Mariana(view spoiler)

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am finished and found that I liked it overall but have some of the same complaints that others do. I loved Loreli, and rather liked Jake as well. The twins were wonderful, and I enjoyed the setting and historical context. The juxtaposition of townsfolk and newcomers was also a fun dynamic. But once you get to Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2285 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "You’re a bit of a sly dog Mariana"

:)

message 31: by Leena (new) - added it

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 432 comments this is the one bk of Beverly Jenkins that I can't seem to get hold of.