Play Book Tag discussion

Bonus Tag: Black Lives Matter > Becoming - Michelle Obama - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (last edited Aug 01, 2020 06:37AM) (new)

Shelly | 593 comments Inspiring! This memoir helped me understand how FLOTUS and POTUS became a formidable team that always focused on helping all Americans. How lucky we all are to have had them for 8 years. But the book isn't only about the White House years, its about growing up and becoming that person, and understanding that there is always hope and a path to better, even if you are poor and black and living on Chicago's southside. Family and education are two keys to her moral compass and her drive to succeed. These principles stayed with her and became a driving force when she had the platform and resources as FLOTUS to make a difference. What will she become next, and how will she continue to inspire so many to become everything they can? My only criticism of the book is that it was a bit too long. Maybe that's because I did the audio, but I loved hearing her read it, that made it even more powerful.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9057 comments Phenomenal Book! So glad you read it! It’s elegance and beauty stayed with you.

message 3: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5770 comments I really like her, but I agree the book was too long on audio. Now I'm used to increasing the speed on audios, but for some reason I didn't do that with her book. (Maybe it didn't sound like her when I sped it up.)

I've been thinking of the Obama more this month while reading BLM books. I liked the stories about her family and her education. I remember her story about other girls criticizing her for "talking white." Her stories about their reactions to school killings and other shootings were so poignant. It's heartbreaking to see the backlash. So many times when I hear about Trump, I think to myself, Obama would never do that.

I wonder what they're doing now. and how their daughters are doing. I wonder if we'll see them campaigning for Biden.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 593 comments I saw something recently about a podcast, 1st episode just released, is out. Maybe that is her way of "campaigning."

message 5: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 01, 2020 07:25AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5770 comments Shelly wrote: "I saw something recently about a podcast, 1st episode just released, is out. Maybe that is her way of "campaigning.""

I guess that's the way to do it right now. I'm old so I keep thinking I'll see TV ads or news reports. There won't be a lot of travel and events like last time. What is the best way to access her podcast? (Man, I'm old.)

message 6: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 593 comments I saw it on Spotify, don't know if its available on other podcast apps.