2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > October Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by oshizu (new)

oshizu | 5710 comments Hi everyone!

We now allow books the group has read for more than three years ago to be nominated again. To see which books are not eligible, see this google sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

It's time to nominate for October. The theme is Enchanted..

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

This thread will be closed by August 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4163 comments I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

"A timeless love story (...) casting a spell of pirates, painters, lovers, liars, and ships that sail upon a Starless Sea."
As fellow mod Rachael wrote in her review of the book: "Enchantingly beautiful!"

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (curious-kat) Ilona wrote: "I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

Very curious about that one as well. I'd like to add a nomination for The Night Circus, also by Erin Morgenstern.

Both sound wonderful!

message 4: by Marleen (new)

Marleen | 793 comments I’d like to nominate Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Lots of enchantment in that one!

message 5: by Fadi (last edited Aug 02, 2020 06:12AM) (new)

Fadi Kharoufeh (fadireads) | 67 comments Kat wrote: "Ilona wrote: "I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

Very curious about that one as well. I'd like to add a nomination for The Night C..."</i>

I have just bought [book:The Night Circus
on kindle, would be happy to read it for October.

I would like to nominate Such a Fun Age which could be enchanting and heart popping and been on my list for this year.

message 6: by Alaina (last edited Aug 01, 2020 11:20AM) (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 255 comments I would like to nominate Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. There's just something about magic and witches that just screams October/Halloween!

message 7: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3312 comments Alaina wrote: "I would like to nominate Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. There's just something about magic and witches that just screams October/Halloween!"

The Night Circus and The Starless Sea are both brilliant books (and I will return to them) but I'm going to second Practical Magic as it's been unread by me for quite some time

message 8: by The (new)

The (the_little_scholar) | 14 comments I would like to nominate The Binding by Bridget Collins please- it features enchanted books, and so must be a bibliophiles delight! :)

message 9: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6801 comments Alaina wrote: "I would like to nominate Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. There's just something about magic and witches that just screams October/Halloween!"

I’m going to second this one! Been on my tbr forever!

message 10: by Martha (last edited Aug 02, 2020 09:01AM) (new)

Martha | 57 comments I would like to nominate The Wise And The Wicked by Rebecca Podos. A book about three witch sisters. Part of their magical ability is seeing the circumstances of their death. The main character starts taking control of her life - changing the way she will die.

message 11: by Keri (new)

Keri Sparks | 304 comments Marleen wrote: "I’d like to nominate Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Lots of enchantment in that one!"

I would like to second Howl's Moving Castle! One of my favorites and definitely my favorite movie. Miyazaki did such a fun and heart warming adaption of this book!

message 12: by Paromita (new)

Paromita Mitra | 11 comments I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

message 13: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3279 comments I'll second The Night Circus. I need a reason to reread that.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarabelle) | 292 comments Keri wrote: "Marleen wrote: "I’d like to nominate Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Lots of enchantment in that one!"

I would like to second Howl's Moving Castle!..."

Thirded!

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1995 comments I would like to nominate Tiger Queen which is a fantastical retelling of Frank Stockton's short story "The Lady or the Tiger?" including some romance!

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean (fordest) | 301 comments I would like to nominate The 13 Clocks by James Thurber. An enchanted princess, an evil duke, an Ogre, and more. It's short, but it's a classic.

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison | 1012 comments I would like to nominate Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik...this has been on my TBR forever! A Fairytale retelling with a bit of magic thrown in...

message 18: by Lisanne (new)

Lisanne (wolffhoofd) | 101 comments SarahKat wrote: "I'll second The Night Circus. I need a reason to reread that."

I third The Night Circus!

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shantastic_reads) I'll second Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik! I have a copy and have been looking forward to reading it!

message 20: by RJ - Slayer of Trolls (last edited Aug 10, 2020 08:44AM) (new)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1039 comments Alison wrote: "I would like to nominate Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik...this has been on my TBR forever! A Fairytale retelling with a bit of magic thrown in..."

I'd probably be in for this one. I read the short story the book was based on and really liked it. Her prior stand-alone fantasy novel Uprooted was also terrific.

The Night Circus and Howl's Moving Castle are also intriguing to me.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 742 comments I nominate My Lovely Wife

message 22: by Karin (new)

Karin | 201 comments This is on my TBR list so I nominate : Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

message 23: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4660 comments Christine wrote: "I nominate My Lovely Wife"

Hi Christine. I'm not sure I see the connection to this months theme: Enchanted? Each month we have a theme and when you nominate you state a connection to this theme.

message 24: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4660 comments Thanks everyone! Many compelling nominations ^^

message 25: by Raluca (new)

Raluca Ferrari | 7 comments Hello everyone!
I vote for Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno García

message 26: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 5060 comments Hola!
As I've already read almost all the nominated books so far, I nominate Charmed Life, by Diana Wynne Jones, one of my favorite writer of fantasy books touching the magic world.
If you're a fan of Harry Potter's series, I'm sure, you'll love Chrestomanci's also.

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 40 comments Ilona wrote: "I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

"A timeless love story (...) casting a spell of pirates, painters, lovers, liars, and ships that sail..."

I'll second

message 28: by Maria Paula (new)

Maria Paula (mariapaulatb) Sara wrote: "Keri wrote: "Marleen wrote: "I’d like to nominate Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Lots of enchantment in that one!"

I would like to second [book:Howl's Moving ..."

I second this nomination!! Would love to read this.

message 29: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4660 comments Raluca wrote: "Hello everyone!
I vote for Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno García"

Hi Raluca :) Every month you can nominate a book for the poll, but we ask that you state a connection to the theme. This month the theme is Enchanted. The connection can be any you see fit so it's not strict, we just ask that you state a connection :)

Sayonee (Taylor's Version) (sayoneedey) | 20 comments Ilona wrote: "I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

"A timeless love story (...) casting a spell of pirates, painters, lovers, liars, and ships that sail..."

I'll also go with The Starless Sea

message 31: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2282 comments Ilona wrote: "I would like to nominate The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

I’ll second that. 🤓

message 32: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4660 comments Closing nominations! Poll up tomorrow ^^

message 33: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.