Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Dead Souls
This topic is about Dead Souls
Archive Member Fav Reads > 2020 August: Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Aug 01, 2020 05:16AM) (new)

Lesle | 5669 comments Mod
Dead Souls is a novel by Nikolai Gogol, first published in 1842, and widely regarded as an exemplar of 19th-century Russian literature. The novel chronicles the travels and adventures of Pavel Ivanovich Chichikov and the people whom he encounters. These people typify the Russian middle-class of the time. Gogol himself saw his work as an "epic poem in prose", and within the book characterised it as a "novel in verse". Despite supposedly completing the trilogy's second part, Gogol destroyed it shortly before his death.

message 2: by Piyangie, Classical Princess (last edited Aug 02, 2020 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Piyangie | 1044 comments Mod
I'll be starting this mid-month. I too have heard it is incomplete and that only the first part is completed by Gogol. I've not checked my edition yet, but I remember that some time back a group read only the first part of it.

message 3: by Jazzy (last edited Aug 08, 2020 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Want to read this and don't think you have the time? It's available on the Serial Reader app in 55 bite-sized episodes. (about 10 mins each) Easy peasy!

https://www.serialreader.org/574e3e6f...

message 4: by Piyangie, Classical Princess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jazzy wrote: "Want to read this and don't think you have the time? It's available on the Serial Reader app in 55 bite-sized episodes. (about 10 mins each) Easy peasy!

https://www.serialreader.org/574e3e6f......"

Oh, wow! This is nice. I would have read this but I do have my paperback bought last year, so can't abandon it. :)

message 5: by Jazzy (last edited Aug 12, 2020 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) i'm very slowly coming along. Loving it. Only 17% in.

Which paperback do you have Piyangie?

message 6: by Piyangie, Classical Princess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jazzy wrote: "i'm very slowly coming along. Loving it. Only 17% in.

Which paperback do you have Piyangie?"

This one, Jazzy. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

I'm planning to start over the weekend.

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Penguins are great, they feel nice to hold.

message 8: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2111 comments Ha ha! The books or the animals?

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I would like to pet a penguin

message 10: by Trisha (last edited Aug 12, 2020 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 947 comments Jazzy wrote: "I would like to pet a penguin"

Jazzy, I like penguins too. Do look at the Colchester Zoo (Essex) website when you have time. There are photos & information about penguins. I don’t think they do it now, but it used to be a feature that at lunchtime there was a “penguin walk” each day. The penguins left their enclosure (following a keeper carrying a bucket of fish), walked along a path in between the visitors, then went into the enclosure again to be fed. It was so sweet.

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Awww! I'll look at them. I saw some Humboldt penguins at Chester Zoo. https://www.chesterzoo.org/our-zoo/an...

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 8415 comments Mod
If you ever go to Montreal, the Biodome has some adorable penguins. And the other exhibits are fun too.

Trisha | 947 comments I decided to try reading Dead Souls with the group this month. I just downloaded a copy, but may not start reading it until the weekend.

message 14: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2111 comments I have never tried to hold a penguin, but I imagine it could be tricky with an emperor, due to the large size. Better to stick to the books. There is also the Penguin (TM) chocolate biscuit. These are easy to hold, but hard to resist eating.

message 15: by Jazzy (last edited Aug 12, 2020 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Penguins also have a habit of projectile shooting waste out of their behinds.

message 16: by Jazzy (last edited Aug 12, 2020 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Trisha wrote: "I decided to try reading Dead Souls with the group this month. I just downloaded a copy, but may not start reading it until the weekend."

Hurrah!

message 17: by Piyangie, Classical Princess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished reading a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. Personally think it is the best work of Gogol.

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I'm reading it with the serial reader app and have about 20 days left, but it's coming along swimmingly!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Souls (other topics)