UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Help finding a book I read a few years ago

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lise (new)

Lise (fevverz) | 6 comments I read a very good book a few years ago but can't remember the title or the author. it's about a man and his child in the UK trying to find shelter as the sun grows and the heat becomes unbearable.

I'd love to read it again and I also wanted to recommend it to my friend.

Can anyone help?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hmmmm. I think I know that story. Was a short story I think. By a famous SciFi author, I think...

This is gonna bug me now.

message 3: by Michael Cargill (last edited Aug 14, 2020 01:03PM) (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments There's an Aesops Fable similar to that.

The sun and the wind have a competition to see who can get a man's coat off.

The wind tries as hard as he can to blow the man's coat away, but he just buttons it up and ties it around him to protect himself.

Then the sun shines hot and bright, and the man willingly sits under a tree and takes his coat off.

This one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nor...

message 4: by Lise (new)

Lise (fevverz) | 6 comments thank you but no. it's set in the UK and they travel through the country to try to find shelter. the ending is when the sun is too intense for anything to survive

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've been wracking my brain. I know I've read it.

I'm gonna link this in the chat thread so more see it.

message 6: by Lise (new)

Lise (fevverz) | 6 comments Thank you Patti

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Let's hope it rings a bell with someone.

There's a couple sites where you can put in a few book details and get suggestions for the title.

I'll have a look for the sites after dinner.

message 8: by Lise (new)

Lise (fevverz) | 6 comments I really want to read it again and my friend is waiting for me to tell her the title and author

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Have a read of this, Lise.

Maybe you can think of some details that will help us narrow down the search.

We've done this in the group before. :)

https://mybookcave.com/how-to-find-a-...