SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

Cage of Souls
This topic is about Cage of Souls
Monthly Reads > August 2020 - Cage of Souls (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Oleksandr Zholud | 1719 comments Mod
This is the thread for first impressions

I started it and am happy with this month's choice. So far I cannot even say is it SF or fantasy - there are elements of both even if SF is more likely, but the world is fantasy-like bizarre

message 3: by Kristenelle (new) - added it

Kristenelle | 561 comments I'm really eager to read something by Adrian Tchaikosky! My library doesn't have this one though and I can't even find it in the Kindle store.

Fans of Tchaikovsky, is this a good book to start with? I have "Children of Time" on hold at my library and plan to start with that one. Thoughts? "Firewalkers" looks really interesting too.

This one was published in 2019. Does that mean that it was eligible for the Hugos that just happened? Or will it be eligible for the next Hugos?

message 4: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Fulton | 1 comments Kristen wrote: "I'm really eager to read something by Adrian Tchaikosky! My library doesn't have this one though and I can't even find it in the Kindle store.

Fans of Tchaikovsky, is this a good book to start wi..."

I LOVED Children of Time. I've only read that at the sequel so I can't comment on whether any other books are better, but I can highly recommend that one!

Kristen wrote: "Fans of Tchaikovsky, is this a good book to start with? I have "Children of Time" "

Children of Time is great, mix of classic SF and modern ideas!

Gabi | 424 comments @Kristen: "Children of Time" is a classical SF with a bag of great ideas about evolution, psychology and religion and with the best spiders in the universe.

"Firewalkers" is a good, conventional climate change novella. An easy read, but imho can't compete with his Children of Time/of Ruin books.

"Cage of Souls" reads quite different. It is an endtime scenario with a steam punk vibe and a journal like narrator.

I don't know if you can get "Made Things", again another kind of style, Fantasy with cute ideas about small puppets come to live.

Or if you have no objection against typical genre D&D Fantasy, "Spiderlight" was a great surprise for me since it turned the usual tropes upside down.

Also I may recommend his The Expert System's Brother - also a homage to classics.

Walking to Aldebaran is part SF part horror, narrated by the protagonist inside some strange structure.

Redemption's Blade is a fantasy that shows team of heroes not going to fight some evil boss, but years after - what their fight achieved

message 8: by Kateblue (new)

Kateblue | 729 comments Mod
I personally liked Dogs of War

Kateblue wrote: "I personally liked Dogs of War"

Yes, also a nice piece!

message 10: by Kristenelle (new) - added it

Kristenelle | 561 comments Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I hadn’t realized he had written so much!

message 11: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 424 comments I've already read it, but I take this opportunity for a re-read, or better, a listen. I found the audiobook available to me and now I'm curious how it works in this medium. The narrator (David Thorpe) has a perfect 'snobbish' voice for this. Looks like fun!

Gabi wrote: "The narrator (David Thorpe) has a perfect 'snobbish' voice for this. Looks like fun!."

Yes audio is very well done. Except maybe I disagree with Marshall's voice but I suppose the narrator consulted the author

message 13: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 424 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Yes audio is very well done. Except maybe I disagree with Marshall's voice but I suppose the narrator consulted the author..."

Yes, Marshall sounds a bit too clichéd, that's right. The audiobook feels a bit more on the comical side than I had the impression while reading it. But it is not annoyingly so. I had Peter figured with another voice, so he's the one I have to get accustomed to most atm.

message 14: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 424 comments Around 12% in and I totally love the self-deprecating voice of the mc. It is so refreshing to have a passive, slightly cowardly anti-hero for a change.

Gabi wrote: "Around 12% in and I totally love the self-deprecating voice of the mc. It is so refreshing to have a passive, slightly cowardly anti-hero for a change."

I highly suspect that this book pays homage in style to some English fiction of XIX century, but I haven't read originals to be more precise

message 16: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 424 comments It definitely does! And it does so in a quite lovely way. I only wanted to listen to it a bit at a time since I already know it. But now I find myself not taking the earplugs out of my ears whatever I do :).

Is anyone reading it right now? As I understand Gabi has read it already, but the rest of you? I plan to finish it today or tomorrow, depending on time availability

message 18: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 424 comments I just finished it for the second time. This time as audiobook and I still love it.

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments I'm reading it. It describes people as they really are, which could be depressing for most people.

Plamen wrote: "I'm reading it. It describes people as they really are, which could be depressing for most people."

Do you like it? For me it shows that Tchaikovsky is a talented author that can write in a multitude of styles on different themes but as a novel I like it less that his Children of Time

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Plamen wrote: "I'm reading it. It describes people as they really are, which could be depressing for most people."

Do you like it? For me it shows that Tchaikovsky is a talented author that can wr..."

I like, but not love it. It is a slow and steady novel. Worse than Children of Time, much worse than Children of Ruin, but still much better than most of the slag that came out last year.

As for writer, I think you like him more than I do. But objectively, he is one of the best writers of his generation.

Carol Chapin | 8 comments I loved "Children of Time". I very much liked this book, but not as much. I felt there was too much going on here.