Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's on time July Reads

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Don't faint.. for the first time this year I am posting my month end book list on the first of the month, mainly because for the first time in a while I have more than a couple of books. .
I have to include two from last month when I combined three months into a mid-June post and finished these two after. They are both worth listing, so won't skip over them.
Mostly audio books, a couple of Kindle titles. I miss going into the library so much and checking out print books. I finally took a print book back through the book drop that I had out since March and hadn't finished.....another story for another time.

Top Reads
From late June:
Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez I gave this book 5 stars. It was eye opening, maddening, interesting, a catalyst for future action. Full of facts presented in thoughtful groupings that emphasize the impact. Beautifully read by the author.

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson also got 5 stars. The cover on this one was off putting to me, but I kept seeing reviews that said it was hilarious so I listed anyway and was glad I did. I'm not sure I would have called it hilarious, though it was humorous.

In July:
Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton Kindle -- I found this to be strangely delightful, which if you have also read it - is probably surprising. I can't explain it, but I missed it terribly when I was done. (there are zombies, and animals and it's unusual)

A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II by Sonia Purnell audio, what a remarkable woman

** We've been picking some really good group read books this year!
You Can't Catch Me by Catherine McKenzie Kindle Unlimited and a group read book

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James audio and another group read book

Good Reads
My Sister, the Serial Killer novella by Oyinkan Braithwaite the opposite of cozy

Keeper of the Castle by Juliet Blackwell cozy

Trumpocalypse: Restoring American Democracy by David Frum

The Roommate by Dervla McTiernan novella. I really like the author so probably ranked it a notch up knowing how much I've liked her other books.

OK reads
Camino Winds by John Grisham not as good as the first Camino book. the hurricane detail was good, the mystery not as exciting. I really couldn't like the characters.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3713 comments nice month, ann!

message 3: by Kari (new)

Kari | 149 comments I adored My Sister, the Serial Killer! "The opposite of cozy" description makes me laugh.

Hollow Kingdom was very strange and interesting! I want a sequel with Genghis Cat.

I need to add Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men to my list to read, apparently, although I might save it for less stressful times.

Glad to hear you liked The Sun Down Motel--I'm just starting it, and hoping a good mystery will hit the spot right now.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments Good month!! I have A Woman of No Importance coming up soon. Keeper of the Castle was my least favorite in Haunted Renovation series. I read the newest one in July and really liked it.

message 5: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Great Month Ann! Lots of variety!

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 451 comments Ann wrote: "Don't faint.. for the first time this year I am posting my month end book list on the first of the month, mainly because for the first time in a while I have more than a couple of books. .
I have ..."

I liked Hollow Kingdom, though the idea was better than the writing to me. I loved A Woman of no Importance.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1309 comments Great month! As usual, you have such a great variety of reads....you've intrigued me with Nothing to See Here!

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1220 comments I agree our group reads have all been good this year.

I also liked My Sister, the Serial Killer.

I listened to a podcast (The Maris Review/11-14-19) that had Kevin Wilson as a guest and they discussed Nothing to See Here. The book sounded so weird so it is good to see that you really enjoyed it.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1644 comments I agree about the library. Good thing my bookshelf and Kindle are holding a huge amount of books!

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2696 comments Very eclectic group of reads.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Sandi: Thank you for mentioning the Maris Review podcast!!
I will have to listen to the Kevin Hart episode, and the Steph Cha episode, and the Deborah Levy episode, and, ... so excited!
I've found some intriguing new-to-me authors this year, and My Sister, the Serial Killer's Oyinkan Braithwaite is one of them!

Sandi wrote: "I also liked My Sister, the Serial Killer.
I listened to a podcast (The Maris Review/11-14-19) that had Kevin Wilson as a guest and they discussed Nothing to See Here. The book sounded so weird so it is good to see that you really enjoyed it.
.."

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Melodie: It's good to know the Haunted Renovation series continues strongly. Juliet Blackwell writes both of my current favorite cozy series books (along with her Witchcraft books) I've benefited from your and Susie's ratings and recommendations! I am behind on reading both... so good reading ahead!

Melodie wrote: "Good month!! I have A Woman of No Importance coming up soon. Keeper of the Castle was my least favorite in Haunted Renovation series. I read the newest one in July and really liked it."

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Dawn: It was improbable enough to be funny! Hope you will like it.
Dawn wrote: "Great month! As usual, you have such a great variety of reads....you've intrigued me with Nothing to See Here!"

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8117 comments Interesting collection of books Annn. Good for you!

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1382 comments I'm glad you were so impressed with Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men,Ann.

I wish I could be on time with my July Reads post. Unfortunately, my computer died toward the end of July. I got my new computer today. I have lots of catch up to do in posting reviews before I do the July Reads post.

message 16: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 414 comments Great month, Ann! Such a nice dispersion of genres.

I have to laugh, though. As I noted on your Determination List page, I already have audio copies of Nothing to See Here and Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men and hope to get to both before the end of the year. And the same is true for another of your July reads, A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II. I'm a sucker for sales on books, no matter what the genre. But at least now that I'm on Goodreads I end up with fewer duds because I always check them out before I actually buy them.

message 17: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 414 comments I enjoyed My Sister, the Serial Killer much more than I had anticipated. You're right - it's definitely not a cozy, but not your typical serial killer fare either.

And you're certainly right about this year's group reads!

message 18: by Ann (last edited Aug 05, 2020 07:55PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Barbara: Pre Goodreads and digital buying I once bought the same book three times. Not only does Goodreads steer me to many (many!) great books (so many!) it also saves me from double buying.
Now I find little "reminder-notes" from Amazon and Audible "You purchased this title on...", or "this (audio)book is in your library".
I do miss those browsing the stacks by title and eye-catching cover/ interesting jacket blurb only days though. :)
Barbara wrote: "I'm a sucker for sales on books, no matter what the genre. But at least now that I'm on Goodreads I end up with fewer duds because I always check them out before I actually buy them."

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Shomeret: I appreciated your review comments on Invisible Women that steered me to it. I'm sorry you had to deal with a computer failure. Ugh! That is never fun.

Shomeret wrote: "I'm glad you were so impressed with Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men,Ann.
I wish I could be on time with my July Reads post. Unfortunately, my computer died toward the end of July. I got my new computer today. I have lots of catch up to do in posting reviews before I do the July Reads post.
"

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3713 comments Ann wrote: "Barbara: Pre Goodreads and digital buying I once bought the same book three times. Not only does Goodreads steer me to many (many!) great books (so many!) it also saves me from double buying.
Now I..."

same here. i owned 4 copies of Eye of the Needle by ken follett at one point.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8117 comments Sherry wrote: "same here. i owned 4 copies of Eye of the Needle by ken follett at one point. ..."

Eye of the Needle! There's a blast from the past! Don't remember when I read it, but it must have been decades ago. Loved it to pieces. It was my first Follett and I read others by him but never enjoyed them quite as much.