Werewolves discussion

Past Group Reads > Summer 2020: Short Stories 1800-1849

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan | 208 comments The Best Werewolf Short Stories 1800-1849: A Classic Werewolf Anthology won the poll for our group read for August and September. At first I was going to say it's a good thing we have two months to read this anthology. A lot of short stories can take serious time to read. But then I see the page count on this anthology is just 170 pages. That's rather surprising. I'm used to anthologies being 500 to 1000 pages long. Why is this anthology so short?

As someone who has researched the history of werewolf stories, I have a hypothesis. I only found seven stories in the given time period, numbers 11-17 on a list I made for us here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... Maybe our anthology editor did not do much better than me and that's why we have just 170 pages. I'm eager to find out by purchasing the anthology. The Kindle price is $3.99.

This here will be our discussion topic for the anthology. So who is in?

message 2: by Dan (last edited Aug 08, 2020 08:08PM) (new)

Dan | 208 comments I am starting on this month's read. First, it looks like Andrew Barger has not read anything written here in this group. My research turned up a few things he would have probably mentioned if he had. By the same token, his research has some things that escaped my notice.

Before the first story, in his history of werewolf literature section, he includes a few esoteric items that are brief and not noteworthy in my opinion. Definitions in non-fictions works, and the like. So I don't give them attention. I am interested solely in werewolf fiction, not non-fiction. His research nevertheless has found some things I missed that I will need to be using to update my list as I read through his book and verify the works.

I find it interesting that, unlike me, he does not arrange the stories chronologically, but starts with story #13 on our historical list: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... It's a great story and a good place to start a collection of this sort. It's on the long side for a short story. I want to reread it before commenting. Has anyone else read it yet?

message 3: by Dan (last edited Aug 22, 2020 09:41PM) (new)

Dan | 208 comments I finished the first story. Some are commenting in reviews of the book that the challenge of reading the old-fashioned English is overwhelming. I concur that it's not easy English, but it's not written in Elizabethan English either. I mean, it's only ten years or so earlier than Dickens, who is certainly readable.

I liked the first story. I wish that the attempt at a logical explanation for everything had not been made. Isn't really having a werewolf so much more fun? Still, this story had some surprises and twists I didn't expect. I always enjoy a good romance with forbidden love, that sort of thing. The werewolf legend was more like seasoning than a course in this dish.