Lizziefaye's Comfy Corner discussion

Summer Fling 2020 > Ransom Canyon Readalong: Who is joining in?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments Everyone is invited to read Ransom Canyon with me, whether or not you're participating in the Summer Fling 2020. Jodi Thomas is one of my favorite romance authors and I've been wanting to get started on this series for a long time.

I will be listening on audio, but I think I will divide the book into three sections for the purposes of discussion. In this thread let us know if you're planning to participate and also chat about other Jodi Thomas books that we've read and liked or didn't like. Then when you finish each section, come back and chat about that section in the designated thread.
Happy reading!

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Tracewell (tallulaaisling) | 4 comments A bit late for your read along but just rented it from Hoopla and will be up all night.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments Oh you're not late. In fact you're the first one here! LOL! I haven't started it yet myself. A couple of other people are also joining in, they just haven't commented yet. Hopefully we will have a few people here have fun chatting about it.

message 4: by Bobbie Sue (new)

Bobbie Sue Davis | 1 comments Not my usual genre but I'm reading along. But I usually read contemporary fast so it shouldn't take me long.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments That's great Bobbie Sue! I think you usually read clean books and I have found Jodi Thomas to be fairly close to it in most of her books that I've read. There is a tiny bit of steamy content, but not overly graphic. Now that I've said that, I hope this one is not an exception to that. LOL!
What I really like about her books are the likeable characters. She also usually has a really good story with some kind of suspense or conflict that really pulls you in.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 81 comments Hi, Elizabeth. I will be starting 'Ransom Canyon' today. Finished all the 'Beatrix Potter Cottage Tale' books. Yay!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments I just started this today too. I'm on chapter 5 and plan to get the first section done tonight, if I don't fall asleep first.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments Jan wrote: "Just read the first 2 chapters twice. I started on audio, but switched to ebook. I don't usually do challenges, but I need to more often so I can get through more of my TBR! I usually have entirely..."

Jan, I did the same thing. I got through the first few chapters on audio and had to go back and read them again in print. I'll be able to switch back to audio now, but sometimes it's difficult for me to start a book on audio. For some reason I don't absorb it well until I get to know the characters.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 81 comments Hi, Elizabeth. I finished 'Ransom Canyon' early this morning. I commented on the threads you set up for the three sections of the book as I went along. Thank you so much for the invitation to read this and for hosting this discussion group. I really want to read the prequel as well as the rest of the series.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments Donna wrote: "Hi, Elizabeth. I finished 'Ransom Canyon' early this morning. I commented on the threads you set up for the three sections of the book as I went along. Thank you so much for the invitation to read ..."

Hi Donna, I just finished typing my comments on the first section and I saw that you had finished. I won't read your other comments until I finish each section though.
I noticed in my copy of book 2 that Winter's Camp is added in the back as bonus material. So if you can get Rustler's Moon from your library, you might find that it's included. I have the audio checked out from Audible Escape as well.

message 11: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 19, 2020 06:19AM) (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments Jan wrote: "Just read the first 2 chapters twice. I started on audio, but switched to ebook. I don't usually do challenges, but I need to more often so I can get through more of my TBR! I usually have entirely..."

Jan, did you give up on this book? I thought that you had made a more recent comment and I was going to respond, but now can't find it.
I'm sorry if this book wasn't to your liking. I will admit that this was not as much to my taste as many of her other books. I didn't care for the Quinn and Staton story line, but I did enjoy the others. If you want to give Jodi Thomas another try, I think the Harmony series is a good place to start. Also, she has a contemporary stand alone called Mornings on Main, that I thought was really good.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 383 comments Jan wrote: "I did finish it and I'm glad I did! It took longer to set up the stories than I would have liked and the Quinn story line rubbed me the wrong way as well, but I liked the way she resolved things. T..."

Oh I'm glad to hear it. I've also read her Whispering Mountain series and I liked all of those except book 2.
Talk to you again soon I hope. Happy reading!