Classic Trash discussion

The Manchurian Candidate > The Manchurian Candidate: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 1053 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No Spoilers please.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 924 comments This book came in from interlibrary loan very quickly, so I already finished reading it last week. If you’ve seen the original movie, the plot is basically the same in the book. The writing style, however, surprised me. I’ll be interested to see what others think of it.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 364 comments I had trouble getting on board for the first chapter. It speeds up considerably after that.

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 03, 2020 06:24AM) (new)

Cheryl | 924 comments The book is much more of a cynical satire than the original film was. The writing reads more like pulp fiction than a suspenseful thriller. To me, most of the characters weren't all that likeable. The whole thing had a very dark feel. However, it was a quick read and did hold my attention to the end. I guess it's best to approach the book as a whole different entity from the film. I am glad I read it.

message 5: by Adelaide (new)

I am about halfway through this. It's okay so far, but it's not super grabbing me, so it's a bit of a chore to read. I am not going to quit, because I want to see how it plays out differently from the movie, but I am not sure if I am going to plow through or take a little break.

I love the book clubs I am in, but sometimes having to read stuff I am not that into can stop me from reading at all. I've been watching good/tv movies though.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 924 comments Adelaide wrote: "I am about halfway through this. It's okay so far, but it's not super grabbing me, so it's a bit of a chore to read. I am not going to quit, because I want to see how it plays out differently from ..."

Adelaide,

If you can’t get into it at the halfway mark, it’s ok to just abandon it. I thought it got better around page 100 and the story was more like the movie. The author does like to veer off track and add some scenes for humor, though. I’m not a huge fan of this writing style, but that’s just my personal opinion.

message 7: by Adelaide (new)

I will take a break and see if I want to come back. I have some fun stuff lined up.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 364 comments I don’t usually say this, but the 1970’s film adaption is aces compared to the book. I ❤️ Denzel, but the recent remake really isn’t worth it.

message 9: by Adelaide (new)

Yeah, I love the original film A LOT.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cheryl wrote: "This book came in from interlibrary loan very quickly, so I already finished reading it last week. If you’ve seen the original movie, the plot is basically the same in the book. The writing style, ..."

I agree that writing style isn't so much florid as cloying, but I'm sticking with it.