Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's July

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments Peace Talks: Jim Butcher
The Harry Dresdin wizard series, kind of a supernatural detective story. Fist book in a long time, I began to despair, but the series is as good as ever. The world is somewhere in the balance of peace with the forces of the supernatural, or all out war. This is really a read in order series, as each book builds heavily on the previous. (A)

No Good Deed: James Swain
A fun series about an ex-Seal who “retires” to be a hunter of bad people, and an almost by the book FBI agent he loves. (A-)

How to be an anti racist:Ibram Kendi
Not quite the “how to” I thought I might have been getting, but an introspective journey into the author’s own discovery of what racism is, where it comes from, and how we might kill it for good. (B+)

Near Dark: Brad Thor
Another one of those series I read just because they are fun. Of course our hero is an assassin, and not a very nice one, but he does have a deep sense of justice. In this case, it is justice against the one who killed his best friend and his wife, as well as put a price on his head. (B+)

Make Russia Great Again: Christopher Buckley
Political satire. The US fixes Russia’s election so Putin loses even as Putin fixes the US election for Trump to win. (B+)

What Rose Forgot: Nevada Barr
Funny how a theme sometimes emerges. This time it is nursing homes, one book where patients are kept artificially alive to mine their benefits, another where they are murdered so heirs can inherit. Either way, what stuck me about this tale (and not necessarily in a good way) was that the doddering old people represented were by and large younger than I am. Not ready for this yet! (B)

The Night Agent:Matthew Quirk
The thing about conspiracy novels is to keep the conspiracy small enough that you can believe it. For the most part, this tale kept you believing by never really getting into the dirt about what the conspiracy was, except in the broadest of brushes. Hint: the Russians are the bad guys. (B)

Never Look Back: Mary Burton
Amazon first read. FBI and Tenn Bureau of Investigation go after a serial killer and maybe fall in love a bit on the way, but Burton is known for suspense and romance, so why not mix them a bit. Story was mostly on track, but i felt toward the end too many coincidences occurred. (B)

Bad Axe: James Hall
He said he would write no more Thorn books. Guess he got hungry. Thorn did have to evolve some, he is now older, still lives in the swamps off the grid, and still has a way of getting into trouble. This time he is chasing domestic terrorists who have scored some nerve gas and explosives. Sugarman is there to help. (B)

The Lost Man: Jane Harper
Very much the same place and same tone as The Dry. One of 3 brothers in a somewhat dysfunctional family is found dead in the desert. The official explanation does not seem right, so one brother searches for the truth. (B)

Her Final Words: Brianna Labuskes
FBI agent in a small town with a cult, and many unexplained child deaths. No chrome reported, but something does not seem right. Yet her biggest problem might not be what happened, but who she could trust. (B)

message 2: by Kari (new)

Kari | 149 comments Looks like a good month! I loved The Lost Man and need to pick up The Dry now apparently. I haven't been keeping up with the Harry Dresdin series but good to know it's still going strong--I may need to get back to them sometime.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14831 comments Barry: Nice month! I see you didn't wait until midnight this month LOL. I suppose I will take your reminder that Harry Dresden should be read in order to heart, I am unfortunately behind on his books but agree they are a splendid supernatural detective series and I look forward to it. Oh for the days when the supernatural bad guys were what we feared.
I hear you on your comment about the ages of the "elderly" in What Rose Forgot. Nevada Barr should know better.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3764 comments nice month. i still have to get to how to be an anti-racist and lost man.

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Good month. I loved Peace Talks, there will another in Sept.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Great month! I also have Never Look Back on my kindle...will have to try to get to it sooner than later!

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Good month! Sitting on Peace Talks until later this month so I'll have it read closer to the one in September.

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 466 comments Barry wrote: "Peace Talks: Jim Butcher
The Harry Dresdin wizard series, kind of a supernatural detective story. Fist book in a long time, I began to despair, but the series is as good as ever. The world is somew..."

What Rose Forgot was one of my best group discussion reads on here I think. Fun book.
I also love Harry Dresden and his newest is already on hold from the library- hopefully not too long a wait as I put it on quick.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14831 comments Dawn: I just realized when Barry listed it I had selected it as my July Kindle book too!
Dawn wrote: "Great month! I also have Never Look Back on my kindle...will have to try to get to it sooner than later!"

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Glad to hear Peace Talks was worth the wait - the very long wait.