Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > October 2020 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4982 comments Mod
October 2020 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

In the interest of variety, please wait a month to renominate a book that has been in the poll. These are the books from March's poll:

Poll Winner, The Nose
2nd, 84, Charing Cross Road
3rd, Chronicle of a Death Foretold
4th, Under a Glass Bell
5th, Carmilla
6th, Youth
7th, The Star

1. Books that have already been featured as short story group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also not eligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw
The Last Day of a Condemned Man

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only seven books, by seven different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The seven books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination AND one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 685 comments I nominate the comedy The Servant of Two Masters by the Italian Carlo Goldoni (1745). 128 p.

message 3: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1727 comments October 2020? That would surely need some Lovecraft: I nominate The Colour Out of Space, 78 pp, 1927

message 4: by Aubrey (last edited Aug 01, 2020 05:17AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments I nominate The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (pub 1963, 106 pp).

message 5: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 786 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (pub 1963, 106 pp)."

I second The Fire Next Time! Just bought this one recently :)

message 6: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 479 comments I would like to nominate The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono, 74 pages, published in 1953

message 7: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1750 comments I will second The Man Who Planted Trees (because I would just have to). This was already on my TBR list.

message 8: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Aug 01, 2020 08:02AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3380 comments Mod
Oh now I am torn. I want to nominate The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I will be teaching it this year. This story is by one of the group's well-loved authors, who is perfect for October. Also, this story made quite a stir when published and made her famous. I also want to second The Man Who Planted Trees. I read it previously when it came up in the nominations. I even used it to teach to an Eight Grade classroom.

But I don't have another second, so I am just going to break open my Lovecraft collection and read his story this morning.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Candi wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (pub 1963, 106 pp)."

I second The Fire Next Time! Just bought this one recently :)"

Thanks Candi :)

message 10: by John_Dishwasher (new)

John_Dishwasher John_Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 207 comments I second The Fire Next Time.

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments John_Dishwasher wrote: "I second The Fire Next Time."

Thanks John. Just carrying along the torch you lit this month :)

message 12: by Michaela (last edited Aug 02, 2020 09:14AM) (new)

Michaela | 685 comments I already read this a while ago, so didn´t vote for it.

message 13: by Cynda (last edited Aug 01, 2020 01:14PM) (new)

Cynda | 3173 comments I nominate King Pest by Edgar Allan Poe. A fantastical tale about what might happen become of the people who were abandoned in the boarded up areas of London during the Great Plague.

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3276 comments Cynda wrote: "I nominate King Pest by Edgar Allan Poe. A fantastical tale about what might happen become of the people who were abandoned in the boarded up areas of London during ..."

I'll second King Pest

message 15: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 177 comments I would like to nominate Requiem for a Spanish Peasant by Ramon J. Sender, published in 1950, 69 pages.

And I second The Fire Next Time

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to nominate The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (1896) 91 pages. Trying to find the correct amount of pages which is 91 upward.

message 17: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Jesus wrote: "I would like to nominate Requiem for a Spanish Peasant by Ramon J. Sender, published in 1950, 69 pages.

And I second The Fire Next Time"

Thanks Jesus :)

message 18: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3173 comments Thanks Sue!

message 19: by Brina (new)

Brina I will second The Fire Next Time.

message 20: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments I’ll nominate The Gambler The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Brina wrote: "I will second The Fire Next Time."

Thanks Brina :)

message 22: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1727 comments Cynda wrote: "I nominate King Pest by Edgar Allan Poe. A fantastical tale about what might happen become of the people who were abandoned in the boarded up areas of London during ..."

I second

message 23: by Renate (last edited Aug 02, 2020 11:17PM) (new)

Renate | 22 comments Lynn wrote: "Oh now I am torn. I want to nominate The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I will be teaching it this year. This story is by one of the group's well-loved authors, who is pe..."
I'll second The Lottery.

message 24: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 479 comments Terry wrote: "I will second The Man Who Planted Trees (because I would just have to). This was already on my TBR list."

Thanks Terry!

message 25: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 479 comments Lynn wrote: "Oh now I am torn. I want to nominate The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I will be teaching it this year. This story is by one of the group's well-loved authors, who is pe..."

Thank you Lynn!

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3 comments I second Sender's Requiem

message 27: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1727 comments The Lottery by Shirley Jackson: A good pick for October 2020, but we read it in March 2017.

message 28: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 862 comments I nominate The Sandman by E.T.A. Hoffman, should be available in pretty much any collection of his works or online.
About 44-82 pages.

And i'll second the Colour Out of Space by Lovecraft.

message 29: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments I second The Fire Next Time.

message 30: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Annette wrote: "I second The Fire Next Time."

Thanks again Annette :)

message 31: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 177 comments Thank you Margaret!

message 32: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Carrie wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (pub 1963, 106 pp)."

I second this."

Thanks Carrie :)

message 33: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3173 comments Thanks J_Blueflower

message 34: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 479 comments Second The Lottery

message 35: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 461 comments I'll second The Sandman

message 36: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 587 comments I nominate The Lifted Veil by George Eliot

message 37: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4982 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "I’ll nominate The Gambler The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky by Fyodor Dostoyevsky"

Matt, I don't see any editions smaller than 159 pages, which is to many per our rules, If I'm in error let me know.

Lynn wrote: "Oh now I am torn. I want to nominate The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I will be teaching it this year. This story is by one of the group's well-loved authors, who is pe..."

The Lottery is only eligible as a reread. It was a short story in March 2017.

message 38: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 171 comments I second The Lifted Veil

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Aug 03, 2020 08:01AM) (new)

Bob | 4982 comments Mod
Status Check for errors

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin, 106 pages, 1963
Aubrey - Candi, John_Dishwasher, Jesus, Brina, Annette, Carrie,

The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono, 74 pages, 1953
Irphen - Terry, Lynn,

King Pest by Edgar Allan Poe, 19 pages, 1835
Cynda - Sue, J_BlueFlower,

The Lifted Veil by George Eliot, 75 pages, 1859
Janelle - Brenda,

The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft, 78 pages, 1927
J_BlueFlower - Wreade1872,

The Sandman by E.T.A. Hoffmann, 44 pages, 1816
Wread1872 - Liesl,

The Servant of Two Masters by Carlo Goldoni, 128 pages, 1745
Michaela -

The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett, 88 pages, 1896
Don -

requiem for a Spanish peasant having trouble finding English edition

message 40: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2670 comments I will second The Man Who Planted Trees.

message 41: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 587 comments Thanks brenda

message 42: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments Bob wrote: "Matt wrote: "I’ll nominate The Gambler The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky by Fyodor Dostoyevsky"

Matt, I don't see any editions smaller than 159 pages, which is to man..."

You are correct. It’s really a short novel. I might nominate some time over in old school reads instead.

message 43: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1727 comments Matt wrote: "I might nominate some time over in old school reads instead. "

Why wait? If you nominate it I will second it.

message 44: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3173 comments I second The Fire Next Time

message 45: by Graham (new)

Graham Wilhauk (megamanchieffan) | 164 comments Not making a nomination here. Just here to second The Fire Next Time! :)

message 46: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "John_Dishwasher wrote: "I second The Fire Next Time."

Thanks John. Just carrying along the torch you lit this month :)"

I will second! :)

message 47: by Aubrey (last edited Aug 04, 2020 07:22AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Thanks Cynda, Graham, and Erin :)

message 48: by Nike (new)

Nike | 488 comments I second "The Sandman".

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 237 comments I second The Sandman

message 50: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4982 comments Mod
Status Check for errors

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin, 106 pages, 1963
Aubrey - Candi, John_Dishwasher, Jesus, Brina, Annette, Carrie, Cynda, Graham, Erin,

The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono, 74 pages, 1953
Irphen - Terry, Lynn, Terris,

King Pest by Edgar Allan Poe, 19 pages, 1835
Cynda - Sue, J_BlueFlower,

The Lifted Veil by George Eliot, 75 pages, 1859
Janelle - Brenda,

The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft, 78 pages, 1927
J_BlueFlower - Wreade1872,

The Sandman by E.T.A. Hoffmann, 44 pages, 1816
Wread1872 - Liesl, Nike, Bryam"They call me the Doge",

The Servant of Two Masters by Carlo Goldoni, 128 pages, 1745
Michaela -

The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett, 88 pages, 1896
Don -

requiem for a Spanish peasant having trouble finding English edition

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.