LPL YA Virtual Book Club discussion

8/20 - An Enchantment... > Topic 9: The Good Law

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lafayette Public Library Reads (lafayettepubliclibraryreads) | 201 comments Mod
What is the Good Law in the story? Why do you think it must never be broken? Can you give any examples from the real world today that compare?

message 2: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 33 comments The Good Law is literally a display of how faeries are afraid/jealous of all that humans have. The whole story revolves around how humans can feel and create and the fey cannot. So feeling love like a human does is the ultimate treachery. Particularly since fey have to change themselves fundamentally to experience emotions like that at all.

message 3: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (libqueen10) | 29 comments I agree with you. I also feel that the Good Law can be viewed as a symbol for the forbidden love that we see so often in these types of stories. It is something to cause conflict. Unfortunately, it is something we still see today in those situations where some parents or families want their children to marry someone who practices the same religion, who is of the same race, or who is similar in age. There is nothing new about it.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Strohmer-wood | 2 comments Ok, I have to admit I am a sucker for forbidden love...still at 45.

message 5: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (libqueen10) | 29 comments Amy wrote: "Ok, I have to admit I am a sucker for forbidden love...still at 45."
So am I, Amy!