Women At Warp Book Club discussion

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
This topic is about Star Trek
TMP Novelization > General Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue (spaltor) | 10 comments Mod
Let's kick off the discussion. What's standing out to you as you read through this novelization?

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Amsden | 1 comments Is it too late to join this conversation? I found the bit about Kirk’s partner, in the very beginning, to be troubling. It felt like... what’s in it for her? What does she get out of the relationship as a woman? Is she fulfilled? Does she experience pleasure in the sexual relationship? Are her needs in companionship met? It doesn’t feel mutual to me.
I enjoyed the rest of the novel very much and found that it deepened my love and appreciation for the film.

Jarrah (jarrahpenguin) | 34 comments Mod
Ruth wrote: "Is it too late to join this conversation? I found the bit about Kirk’s partner, in the very beginning, to be troubling. It felt like... what’s in it for her? What does she get out of the relationsh..."

Not too late at all! We're only getting around to finishing the book ourselves now. It definitely felt to me like GR was enthusiastic about (heterosexual) sex but not very good at considering it from the women's perspective. The part about Kirk's partner was weird - like she was some operative? And also like a baby deer but not in bed?