Play Book Tag discussion

Brown Girl Dreaming
This topic is about Brown Girl Dreaming
Bonus Tag: Black Lives Matter > (POLL BALLOT) Brown Girl Dreaming / Jacqueline Woodson - 5*****

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6094 comments Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
Brown Girl Dreaming – Jacqueline Woodson
Digital audio performed by the author.
5*****

Jacqueline Woodson is an award-winning author and poet. This memoir of her childhood, growing up in the turbulent 1960s is written entirely in free verse.

In it Woodson explores family dynamics; the differences between “the North” (Brooklyn) and “the South” (South Carolina), between generations, between religious beliefs; and the hopes, ambitions and obstacles to success faced by a young black girl in 1960s America. The language is appropriate and accessible for the target middle-school audience, but eloquent and complex enough to engage and interest adults.

I loved how she related the importance of a teacher who recognized and celebrated her gifts rather than focus on her struggles with learning, and who encouraged her to believe that she WAS a writer. As well as the importance of a family who nurtured and supported her, despite divorce and the upheaval of moving several states away.

The audio version is performed by the author. I cannot imagine anyone else doing a better job of conveying the emotion of her story.

LINK to my review

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5681 comments This sounds great. I really enjoyed Red at the Bone by this author, which I assumed was written for an adult audience, but I think it could appeal to anyone. I often feel awkward reading free verse, so I would definitely want to hear the author read it.