What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Roberta Leigh/Rachel Lindsay (Janey Scott) Romance "My Heart's on Holiday" published in UK newspaper as 1955 serial. Looking for novel. Movie star with broken heart helps garage mechanic, falls for owner of holiday camp.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaqui (last edited Jul 31, 2020 05:25AM) (new)

Shaqui | 2 comments First time I've used this so please bear with me...

A lot of romance novels also get published as serials in woman's magazines in the UK. I have one from a newspaper in 1955, written by Roberta Leigh, called 'My Heart's on Holiday' which I am trying to find the novel version of. Two others she wrote that also appeared in the paper in 1955 I have found were published under her 'Janey Scott' pseudonym a few years later (1959-60) before later being republished as by Roberta Leigh by M&B/Harlequin. This does NOT appear to be the outstanding Janey Scott novel 'A Time To Love' aka Unwanted Woman, from the notes I have for her novels and/or synopses but I could be wrong if names or the plot were tweaked a lot.

I do have a synopsis for the story, taken from the last part of the newspaper serial, so here are the main characters and the thrust of the relationships:

Lovely Andrea Delaney, a glamorous film star, discovers that Clive Daubney, the man she secretly loves, is secretly engaged to another girl. Seeking a cure for her broken heart, she stays under an assumed name at a popular holiday camp. She meets Bill Edwards, a young garage mechanic, whose girl friend, Daphne Foster, has fallen under the fascination of handsome young Christopher Retford, the owner of the holiday camp. Andrea wins Daphne back for Bill by posing as her rival - and in the process falls in love with Christopher, who asks her to marry him.

- I know names can change from serial to novel, and vice versa but does this ring any bells? I've tried cross-referencing the names and terms like 'mechanic' or 'holiday camp' with the author's pseudonyms but to little avail.

Can anyone help here, please?

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35769 comments Mod
Shaqui, that's a good start. You must add plot details (from your first post) to the topic header (title), so someone could recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

We have thousands of romance requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Kris (new)

I added details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers. Feel free to edit it.

message 4: by Shaqui (new)

Shaqui | 2 comments Kris wrote: "I added details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers. Feel free to edit it."

Thanks Kris,

As I said, first time using this forum so thanx for the heads-up on usage!

message 5: by Kris (new)

You're welcome.