Archive - Additional Reads > The Starless Sea - August 20

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2048 comments Mod
Voted by members for Fantasy Additional Read

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

Far beneath the surface of the earth, upon the shores of the Starless Sea, there is a labyrinthine collection of tunnels and rooms filled with stories. The entryways that lead to this sanctuary are often hidden, sometimes on forest floors, sometimes in private homes, sometimes in plain sight. But those who seek will find. Their doors have been waiting for them.

Zachary Ezra Rawlins is searching for his door, though he does not know it. He follows a silent siren song, an inexplicable knowledge that he is meant for another place. When he discovers a mysterious book in the stacks of his campus library he begins to read, entranced by tales of lovelorn prisoners, lost cities, and nameless acolytes. Suddenly a turn of the page brings Zachary to a story from his own childhood impossibly written in this book that is older than he is.

A bee, a key, and a sword emblazoned on the book lead Zachary to two people who will change the course of his life: Mirabel, a fierce, pink-haired painter, and Dorian, a handsome, barefoot man with shifting alliances. These strangers guide Zachary through masquerade party dances and whispered back room stories to the headquarters of a secret society where doorknobs hang from ribbons, and finally through a door conjured from paint to the place he has always yearned for. Amid twisting tunnels filled with books, gilded ballrooms, and wine-dark shores Zachary falls into an intoxicating world soaked in romance and mystery. But a battle is raging over the fate of this place and though there are those who would willingly sacrifice everything to protect it, there are just as many intent on its destruction. As Zachary, Mirabel, and Dorian venture deeper into the space and its histories and myths, searching for answers and each other, a timeless love story unspools, casting a spell of pirates, painters, lovers, liars, and ships that sail upon a Starless Sea.

message 2: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Who wants to read this one? Anyone read The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern's previous book?

Jenna | 92 comments The night circus is one of my favorite books, I loved it so much! I really didn’t like The Starless Sea. Some parts really intrigued and grabbed me but I was constantly bored and never felt compelled to keep reading. It put me in a minor reading slump. :/

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Jenna wrote: "The night circus is one of my favorite books, I loved it so much! I really didn’t like The Starless Sea. Some parts really intrigued and grabbed me but I was constantly bored and never felt compell..."

I hate when that happens. I'm amost mad at the author for not being up to my expectations.

Jenna | 92 comments Yes, my expectations were very high! I definitely think this is a book you’ll either love or hate. I was not enchanted like I was with The Night Circus, unfortunately.

Bridget Limeburner | 33 comments I haven't read The Night Circus, so I have no prior experience with this author. I'm not too far into it, but so far I'm liking it. Not sure if anyone's seen the TV show The Magicians (it's also a book series, but I haven't read them yet), but this book is giving me strong Library vibes from The Magicians.

message 7: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca (calisuomi) | 12 comments I just borrowed a copy and will start it today. I liked The Night Circus so I'm looking forward to this one!

Bonnie I read it in February and only gave it two stars and this little review : I loved the world and the character, but the plot was weak and the little stories inside stories was too much in such a long book for me to keep up with.
I'm happy to discuss it though if others read it and want to.

message 9: by Lydia (new) - added it

Lydia Liuba | 1 comments I haven’t read anything by the author yet but The Starless Sea is on my tbr for this month!

message 10: by Jayme (last edited Aug 02, 2020 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jayme | 200 comments I love that two people can read the same book and have completely different takes. I also read this in February, but gave it 5 stars. lol Here's what I thought:

"Morgenstern is one of the masters in creating imaginative and divine worlds, and the world of the story is her newest universe in this hauntingly heartwarming book. I loved every play on words as the stories twisted and diverted and built on the theme of seeking and finding and fate and time. A contender for my favorite read of 2020."

Michelle (mich2689) | 124 comments I didn’t dislike the Starless Sea but it didn’t live up to my expectations after The Night Circus.

The Starless Sea had some of the same elements that I love about Erin Morgenstern’s writing. The world-building was magical and fascinating. I’d say one of her biggest strengths is being able to describe a setting in a way that stimulates all the senses. I also enjoyed the short stories dispersed throughout and how they all eventually connected with the main story. Nevertheless, the plot fell short of my expectations. I still ended up giving it 4 stars because I especially loved the first half of the book but the night circus was a 5 star read for me.

Brandon R. Jackson | 5 comments I will be starting this one this week!

Bridget Limeburner | 33 comments Just finished. I really enjoyed this. I was worried that the ending wouldn't fulfill my expectations, but I was happy with how it ended. I need to read The Night Circus now.

Michelle (mich2689) | 124 comments You should, Bridget. I think you’ll love The Night Circus even more!

Steve (lysis1854) I really loved Starless Sea. Made me want more so picked up Night Circus. Totally different! I like it, but what I loved about The Starless Sea - the melancholy feel, the mysterious world, being lost and not caring because it's such a beautiful ride - I just don't get in Night Circus. But! It's a really good story so far, but a totally different experience.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Circus (other topics)
The Starless Sea (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Erin Morgenstern (other topics)