Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2021] Poll 5 Results

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1385 comments Mod

A book set on an island
A book whose cover shows more than 2 people
A book whose title and author both contain the letter u

Bottom

A book with an introverted protagonist
A book with a theme of sibling rivalry
A book with a major life altering event in the plot

No close calls or polarizing this week. Poll 6 Suggestions will open tomorrow, likely mid to late afternoon CST time.

Also, Emily is traveling today and asked me to post the new Listopia's here. The main thread will be updated later.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1785 comments I think I only voted for the u one because I liked the link to 2021. Not many ideas for it though!

I like books set on small islands so I'm happy with that one and it can always be a freebie UK book. I'll try and not read something on the mainland if I can help it though.

I noticed the Lumberjanes comics always have the group on the cover of the trades, so that's my fall back option for the multiple people on cover if I don't find anything else next year.

message 3: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 615 comments I am so glad the island one made it in. I was really rooting for that one last year.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 930 comments I hate cover prompts. I never choose a book by its cover, so I have to find books I want to read and then search for the cover element. The monochrome prompt will be easy, this one might give me a headache. :)

None of my votes made it, but I am fine with the two other prompts. So far the list looks pretty good to me.

message 5: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 472 comments Sara wrote: "I hate cover prompts. I never choose a book by its cover, so I have to find books I want to read and then search for the cover element. The monochrome prompt will be easy, this one might give me a ..."

It's so funny, because I don't pick books by their cover either, but I love cover prompts!

Happy with the 3 winners. I'm surprised by the 3 prompts in the bottom. I didn't up or down vote any of them, but I didn't think they were offensive enough to be in the bottom.

message 6: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

I'm combing through my tbr for the 'u' list and so far I'd say the limiting factor is author names. I've got a lot of books with the word 'murder' in the title haha.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1046 comments I found one so far - Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. It might be easiest to find authors with u in their name and then look at the books they've written.

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1785 comments The listopias seem to have filled up with a lot of bizarre sounding books this week.

message 9: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments I really like these winners, and I up-voted all of them! (that never happens!!!)

I also really liked "book set in one of the 5 Communist countries" and I'd love to see that one suggested again, it's the perfect amount of challenging yet broad (I have read quite a few books set in China, Vietnam, and Cuba, plus one set in North Korea, so I think I would have no trouble finding a book).

message 10: by Khara (new)

Khara Baughan | 48 comments Voted for and happy about island and cover with more then 2 people since I had books sitting on my shelf to read for those. Happy about the U prompt too though. Guess I'm finally going to get around to tackling Count of Monte Cristo. Maybe one year I'll stop giving myself super long books to read for this challenge but next year is not the year lol!

Surprised about sibling rivalry making the bottom list since I don't remember seeing much discussion one way or the other about that.

message 11: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 339 comments This year I'm creating lists of potentials for all the prompts before they're voted on so that I'm ready to go for my rejects list. Finding things for the major life altering events is a bit difficult (how do you know the book is about a wedding without reading all the descriptions), but I started looking for books that take place in history altering events.

Turns out I read a lot of revolutionary books. Just on the history side I have The City Always Wins (Egypt), The Passion According to Carmela (Cuba), What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Resistance (El Salvador), Father of Lions: One Man's Remarkable Quest to Save the Mosul Zoo (Iraq), 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War (Ireland), and Alexander Hamilton (USA).

I'm not sure how to word this type of prompt (takes place during an internationally critical event?) without it becoming a free for all, but maybe it could spark someone else?

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 344 comments I only voted for the letter U prompt but I'm happy with the others. I'm surprised the cover one made it though as I think it's more difficult than it sounds (I have 250 books on my TBR and could only find 2 or 3 that fit).

It's a shame the sibling rivalry one ended up in the bottom as I liked that one quite a bit. I have also voted twice now for the UN International Year but hasn't appeared in any of the results - could it be third time lucky?

message 13: by Avery (last edited Jul 30, 2020 09:28AM) (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 472 comments Jackie wrote: "I'm combing through my tbr for the 'u' list and so far I'd say the limiting factor is author names. I've got a lot of books with the word 'murder' in the title haha."

That, and the word "you". I added a bunch to the listopia just now.

I also had a lot of island books set on Nantucket. I was pleasantly surprised to find a bunch of sci-fi dystopia books with characters living in a world post sea-level rise. Super KIS option would be using the UK/Ireland and Japan/Singapore and other countries that are islands but you don't associate with tropical islands.

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1611 comments There are actually a ton of "u" books that I want to read. I wasn't expecting that.

Lilac Girls - works for more than two people on a cover and I've been wanting to read that one.

I might go with a classic for the island one - Treasure Island or Island of the Blue Dolphins. I always wanted to read Shutter Island though.

I'm happy with the prompts. I have the start of my possibility list for next year.

message 15: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1923 comments Mod
That's funny, all this time I thought the prompt was "an author whose first and last names start with u" and all I could think of was Judy Blume. But it's title and author. I don't think I voted it up or down.

message 16: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1726 comments Goodness, there are *a lot* of weird books on the U listopia! What is up with all those Snoopy books?

I have a ton of options for both the U prompt and the island prompt. I didn't vote for either simply because they are so easy but I'm not displeased that they made the list.

I'm glad we got multiple results this round of voting.

message 17: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Don't yuck on anybody's yums, y'all.

message 18: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronstjohn) | 205 comments Twenty Twenty-Two
Will be the rabbit's re-do
So says my haiku.

)--:

message 19: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Rabbit hasn't been eliminated, has it?

message 20: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments do mummies/skeletons count as people? 🤔

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 603 comments Entropia wrote: "do mummies/skeletons count as people? 🤔"

I just counted scarecrows and tin men as people so I'd say yes!

message 22: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Robin P wrote: "Rabbit hasn't been eliminated, has it?"

No, it could be submitted again

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 954 comments Joan wrote: "There are actually a ton of "u" books that I want to read. I wasn't expecting that.

Lilac Girls - works for more than two people on a cover and I've been wanting to read that one.
..."

I had forgotten about Lilac Girls, thanks for the reminder

message 24: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments I upvoted four and one made it through - letter u - and one was downvoted- introverted protagonist. This is about on par for my voting record. I ended up not voting for the Panetone color prompt. But I’d love to see it rebmitted in its
a broader form. No idea whether ‘book connected to the 2021 Panetone colour of the year’ or just ‘book connected to a Panetone colour of the year’ would be the way to go.

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmyers) | 513 comments Sad to see nom de plume didn't make it, but it wasn't on the bottom, either. Maybe tweaking the prompt a little might help?

message 26: by Hannah (last edited Jul 30, 2020 01:04PM) (new)

Hannah Peterson | 460 comments I think "connected to the 2021 Pantone color of the year" would work pretty well. Obviously it's a bit of a gamble (that makes it fun!), but if you look back over the last several years of Pantone colors, it's pretty easy to see how you could make many of them work as a prompt, besides simply using the color on the cover:
Classic Blue - a classic
Living Coral - a book related to the ocean, to coral reefs, environmentalism
Ultra Violet - a book set in space, related to STEM,
Greenery - a book related to plants, the environment, set mostly outside
Marsala - a book set in Italy, related to cooking
I kind of want to do a whole challenge based on these!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2687 comments Well, two of my top choices made the list, and the other two were in the bottom, so pretty mixed results for me. It's fine though, because I'm planning to make a rejects challenge of the prompts I voted for that didn't make it.

The island prompt is one that I'm pretty indifferent about. I feel like I've done it many times before in other challenges, so it wasn't one that I was really excited for, but it's definitely doable.

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1046 comments Hannah wrote: "I think "connected to the 2021 Pantone color of the year" would work pretty well. Obviously it's a bit of a gamble (that makes it fun!), but if you look back over the last several years of Pantone ..."

I like these ideas a lot, and I would vote for the Pantone one if it was connected to the color as opposed to the cover having the color.

message 29: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments For 'more than 2 people on cover' a lot of children's/ya fantasy have that. Magisterium and Nevermoor series come to mind, but there are lots.

message 30: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments I didn't follow the nomination, but how does the u prompt link to 2021?

message 31: by Sue (last edited Jul 30, 2020 03:03PM) (new)

Sue S | 364 comments Johanne wrote: "I didn't follow the nomination, but how does the u prompt link to 2021?"
u is the 21st letter of the alphabet

message 32: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments Right, thanks Sue. Must be too long since I used the numbers-for-letters code ;)

message 33: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1726 comments Kim wrote: "Sad to see nom de plume didn't make it, but it wasn't on the bottom, either. Maybe tweaking the prompt a little might help?"

Maybe rewording it as “a book by an author who uses more than one name”? Some people might not know what nom de plume means and might not take the time to read the discussion or look it up.

message 34: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1726 comments I think changing the Pantone cover prompt to any year might be more appealing. People might not like voting for an unknown. And it’s a difficult prompt for planners because they have to wait until December to plan for that prompt.

I really like the idea of “related to” rather than the cover being the color but again some people probably won’t vote for something that isn’t going to be revealed until December.

message 35: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments That’s the challenge isn’t it. Predicting whether the majority will think 2021 is too restrictive/too much of a gamble since its unknown. Or whether the majority will think that making it any year will be too wide. Personally I don’t think so since Panetone’s only been doing it for about ten years. But then I’m not great at aligning with the majority rule.

message 36: by Khara (new)

Khara Baughan | 48 comments I would be less likely to up vote it without knowing what the color is, but I also wouldn't down vote it. I think it's a cool idea but I am a planner though and like to work in what I already own. It would probably come down to what all the options are for voting are that week since I like to use all my votes.

I like the idea of making it "related to" rather then having to have the color on the cover if it did get nominated again though.

message 37: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Jul 30, 2020 04:58PM) (new)

Hannah wrote: "I think "connected to the 2021 Pantone color of the year" would work pretty well. Obviously it's a bit of a gamble (that makes it fun!), but if you look back over the last several years of Pantone ..."

I like the creative take on it, Hannah - using other years and themes like coral for ocean, etc. The BIO option might be just using the 2021 color.

message 38: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

The trouble with planning for me is every time I think of a book I want to read it now rather than saving it for next year!

message 39: by Bec (last edited Jul 30, 2020 05:03PM) (new)

Bec | 797 comments dalex wrote: Maybe rewording it as “a book by an author who uses more than one name”? Some people might not know what nom de plume means and might not take the time to read the discussion or look it up..."

Yeah I admit I had no idea what a nom de plume was and had to google. I ended up voting for it but only becuase I googled.

message 40: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments Same Robin. I’m lucky that so far most of the prompts will allow me to read pretty much what I’d normally read anyway. A quick skim of my TBR reveals a few for the “u” prompt but not many. I’ll need to be careful and not read them all this year.

message 41: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Jul 30, 2020 09:46PM) (new)

I am finding more "u" books than I thought because authors can have the names Susan, Ruth, Laura, Laurie, Louise, Louis, Douglas, or something like McDonough, Dunn, Hubbard, etc. And titles can have sort of hidden "u"s, as in the words "would" or "could". I'm not sure how this is working for our members who read in other languages. If anything, "u" is easier in French, being found in many short, common words, such as "vous" or "tu" (the words for "you"), "du" (of), and more. The words for who, what, and when all start with "qu" in French.

message 42: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1785 comments Robin P wrote: "The trouble with planning for me is every time I think of a book I want to read it now rather than saving it for next year!"

I make a plan and don't stick to it! I'm a mood reader and like to read new books, so deciding what I want to read 6 months in advance is impossible.

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1046 comments Ellie wrote: "Robin P wrote: "The trouble with planning for me is every time I think of a book I want to read it now rather than saving it for next year!"

I make a plan and don't stick to it! I'm a mood reader ..."

This couldn't describe me more. I usually change at least half the prompts from what I had originally planned. I'm also a mostly library user so am often at the mercy of what's available.

message 44: by Pam (last edited Aug 01, 2020 10:16AM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2571 comments I didn’t like the U prompt at first sight but now that it's gone through, I like it! Alexandre Dumas, Jane Urquhart, and Umberto Eco are 3 authors I’m looking at as possibilities.

message 45: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

I found a lot on my shelves and added them to the list. I like Julia Quinn, Spencer Quinn (no relation) and Anna Quindlen.

message 46: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 287 comments I agree, Pam. The lists always make me appreciate the chosen prompts no matter how I voted.

message 47: by Udari (new)

Udari | 51 comments I am pretty excited about A book set on an island and A book whose title and author both contain the letter u. I'm from an island country and my name starts with a U. This is the first time one of the prompts had a personal connection.

Sad about A book with an introverted protagonist though.

message 48: by Conny (new)

Conny | 361 comments I like the I prompt. One of my favorite German-speaking authors is Ursula Poznanski, and she always publishes two books a year. Funny enough, many of those have had U's in the title. Her next one (coming in two weeks) does too, but there is absolutely no way I can wait till next year to read it :D
Happy about the island prompt as well. I love islands :)